Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Paddlemet - Succession Fort  (Read 15304 times)

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
  • DrHouse:cancels diagnose paicent; need vicodin
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Fort
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 09:24:31 am »

:D Lava, this is gnna be fun!
"Needs vicodin to get through the day"
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 09:33:35 am »

Woot woot, alright turn order is as follows (If the people who got dorfed want to take a turn, if they don't, they can just say so and someone else will fill it.

1. Mercenare
2. Svarte Troner
3. Toahero92
4. Karakzon
5. Slax
6. House
7. Ganondwarf
8. Arimahn
9. Edosurist
10. Dragoncurse
11. Melkor

Also, I'm leaving the country for a week on friday, so i'll quickly try to get my turn down, but no promises. If i don't, I'll post the save and either A) Svarte can take my turn and his turn, B) Someone else can finish my turn or C) You guys can wait till im back.

Oh and also again, apparently the map has an aquifer but i don't really know where it is/what rock level its at. Any thoughts on piercing it?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:38:28 am by Mercenare »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:15 pm »

Oh and also again, apparently the map has an aquifer but i don't really know where it is/what rock level its at. Any thoughts on piercing it?

Drop a 5x5 block of earth on it.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:30:46 pm »

The Journal of 'Choppy' Akirlogem, Butcher and Brewmaster of the Party

14th Granite
Much progress has been made today. Azoth has begun to carve out our dwelling into the side of the barren mountain, and Karakzon has ordered everyone to begin moving supplies to the front and to break up the wagon. Svya did a bit of scouting around the area a few hours ago, but turned up with no bad news - surprisingly. A pack of One-humped Camels - or what use to be camels, i don't know what you'd label them as - are grazing to the south. From Svyas description they sound like they are dead, but not at the same time. An 'undead' of sorts (Note to self: Refer to any dead looking creatures that are 'alive' as undead, i like the ring to it, and make sure to tell the party about your new term)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

19th Slate
Things have slowed down considerably. We are slowing establishing things, but Karazkon was bitching about "Not enough getting done fast enough" or some bullshit. Who does he think we are? On a side note, a lower workshop was established and Azoth has started carving out doors - Hes not great at it, but they are good enough for now.

Supplies are running low too. The dwarf incharge of farming operations, Slaxas i think his name was, suggested we find a pool of usable water and start readying the fields. But what does he know? I say we just set up a butcher shops - or just give me a cleaver - and I'll fix the food problem. Its not like the Yaks or Dogs need legs anyway, right?

5th Felsite
Our ever wise commander of defense decided that the one humped undead camels were a threat to our fortresses 'safety' and took off on a quest to eliminate them. When he returned he had this crazy look in his eye, the kind of look I'd imagine a dwarf who just cut his way through half an army to have. And to top it all off, he had blood gushing from his mouth. You wouldn't believe the answer he gave me when i said why there was blood on his mouth - he said in the heat of the battle he bit one of the camels; shouldn't it be the other way around?!

The crazy sonovabitch hardly stuck around though, he left as quick as he came, mumbling something about more camels to kill. This whole turn of events makes me ponder his sanity - I didn't think it could be lost this soon.

(Hmm, by the way i took a look at the civilization screen and it only listed a dwarf one. Does this mean we won't get attacked by goblins or have any elf caravans (to terrorize of course) :(?)

9th Felsite
Azoth has started to dig down in search for water, everything is normal. Except no one has seen or heard from Svya in days, I'm starting to worry something sinister might have happenned.

11th Felsite
Tragic news today, the Dune of Hunger has officially claimed its first victim - Svyatoslav, Armok rest his soul. Ganon, our chief woodworker, spotted his shattered body on the side of a steep hill early this morning while hunting for wood. We want to get his body, but a pack of two-humped camels seem to be guarding him. A large, gaunt looking one seems to be leading them; When ever we try to get close he lets out a shrill, soul piercing cry to alert the group. They all turn, limbs and necks jerking under the weight of their sickly body. Whenever i see one of those things it makes me cringe, they are so unnatural, so unreal, essentially a blasphemy to this world.

However, we won't give up, we will get his body and give him a proper burial. I'm sad to see him gone, he was a great dwarf, strong but stupid; a victim to his own blood thirst.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:29:09 pm by Mercenare »

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 12:22:02 am »

(Hmm, by the way i took a look at the civilization screen and it only listed a dwarf one. Does this mean we won't get attacked by goblins or have any elf caravans (to terrorize of course) :(?)

The other civilizations don't know about our settlement, or vice versa. They will come. Oh, they WILL come! <evil laugh fades away>
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:54 am »

Nooooooo! Alas, Svyatoslav really did die young. Make sure you bury him with a bunch of useless camel bone trinkets and his axe.

Can I have the next military migrant you get, named Vladimir.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:15:05 am by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 08:47:28 am »

Uh...no, KEEP the axe and GIVE IT TO ME, so I can avenge the death of our friend Svyatoslav!
FOR SPATTERBONES! I mean...FOR PADDLEMET!

No seriously, as a wood-cutter, don't I have an axe to fight them with? If I'm gonna die like that I'd rather not, especially if it means I can't play a turn later, but if not...

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 09:30:27 am »

Nooooooo! Alas, Svyatoslav really did die young. Make sure you bury him with a bunch of useless camel bone trinkets and his axe.

Can I have the next military migrant you get, named Vladimir.

He will be honored with such. I didn't really mean to get him killed though to be honest, i was just trying to create story and he got mauled by camels /tear. Maybe when the migrants come ganon will form a miltia to avenge Svya.

Also, list of people to be dorf'd!
Player - Name - Profession/Skills

Ahrimahn - Ahrimahn - Highest skilled migrant
Edosurist - Edosurist - No preferred profession
Dragoncurse - Brass -Woodcutter/Carpenter
Melkor - Melkor - Soldier
Svarte Troner - Vladimir -Soldier

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »

SIGN ME UP! and do you mind making a list so that we know the order. I'll just be Edosurist, no prefered profession

ToaHero92, usually people dorfs use Dwarf Fortress File Save. It's free and easy, then anybody can download it. It's like mediafire, except DF based.

Oh cool. I'm just kinda freaking out. I mean this is my first succession game. Uh could you post a link to the website maybe? How should I play? Like normal? Is there a goal? If I play normal I'll probably kill all the dorfs building some huge thing. How long is a turn? a day? a season? year? Yeah. I'm kinda freaked out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:54:18 pm by ToaHero92 »

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 06:06:28 pm »

SIGN ME UP! and do you mind making a list so that we know the order. I'll just be Edosurist, no prefered profession

ToaHero92, usually people dorfs use Dwarf Fortress File Save. It's free and easy, then anybody can download it. It's like mediafire, except DF based.

Oh cool. I'm just kinda freaking out. I mean this is my first succession game. Uh could you post a link to the website maybe? How should I play? Like normal? Is there a goal? If I play normal I'll probably kill all the dorfs building some huge thing. How long is a turn? a day? a season? year? Yeah. I'm kinda freaked out.

Turns are a year, and I'd say the goal would be to keep the fortress alive, with atleast one dwarf xD And of course create hilarious and epic events, and then make story with them.

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »

Turns are a year, and I'd say the goal would be to keep the fortress alive, with atleast one dwarf xD And of course create hilarious and epic events, and then make story with them.

CAN DO!! .... But uh... how will I get notified if its my turn? a pm? and where Will I get the save? ddfd.wimbli?

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paddlemet - Succession Fort
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »

1st Malachite
Azoth finally struck an underground cavern after a month or so of digging. He approximated it to be around 117 stories down, quite a ways down there. Karazkon designated a few areas to be mined out, we might have water at last! Pleasant news indeed.

Also another fantastic thing to note! The undead camels guarding Svya have seem to lost interest in him - No idea why they were interested in guarding his broken corpse anyway - and wandered off. We retrieved his corpse and Ganon took a look at his armour, which seems to be in working condition. Azoth said he would start on a tomb right away, and a memorial to commemorate our fallen Comrade - I think he was pretty rattled by the whole event, they were starting to become quite close. Also Ganon was mumbling something about taking up the role of militia commander, hes got an axe, so why not let him take a 'swing' at it (Heheh, I'm pretty punny).

9th Malachite
Thank Armok! Relief at least. It may be just a small group of 6, but aid from the mountainhome is much appreciated, especially when it means a few extra hands around the camp (On the other hand, it also means a few extra mouths...). I only caught a few of their names though; I think one of their names was Edo... Edosuturist? Perhaps he is a doctor, could always use another one of those handy fellows. Another dwarf, Vladimir i believe, was walking around the camp, eyes darting everywhere like he was looking for something, but what?

10th Malachite
Damn those camels. It seems like Vladimir found what he was looking for; Later in the day he was walking around the camp when suddenly he froze solid, like he was webbed by a spider or something. All of the colour slowly drained from him, his skin becoming a sickly pale, the same colour as the camels ragged flesh. Slowly he fell to the ground and his hands went to his face, covering his teary eyes; and then he sobbed. hard. Ganon rushed over and hugged him yelling whats wrong! what happenned! Vladimir just looked at him, then at the body of Svya in the corner. Ganon caught it instantly. Vlad must have known him, or been related to him; the truth couldn't be any more closer. Ganon calmed him down, and had a talk with him. Svya was Vlads uncle and guardian - When Vlad was young his parents died in cave in during a goblin attack; poor, poor Vlad. He came here looking for his uncle because he heard he'd gone off with an expedition. I don't know what to feel about it all, it seems are fort is already being ravaged by tragedy

23rd Malachite
Bless the gods! We catch another lucky break today as Ganon finds water in the underground caverns. He was out hunting for wood when he spotted a flowing spring, thank Armok. Although buried beneath many layers of rock, this is something to celebrate about! To the dining hall! Although it seems we are not alone in the caverns...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:53:48 pm by Mercenare »

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
  • DrHouse:cancels diagnose paicent; need vicodin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:12 pm »

"From The Journal OF Healthsmith Gregory"
Wordy so look out
Well when I heard of th great fortress creation acts that were passed, the ones that had, like so many years ago, created the very halls that I live and work in, I was one of the first to sign up. Being of great sature among the nobles for saveing the King himslef from a case of alcohol poisoning(odd case, for dwarves have such large livers for the alcohol we injest, but the king had been known to drink to the extremes), I was choosen to head out on the first group of the first to leave the hall in many years.

-Though I may say the description of our location is in short, a bit scary, I have full confidence in our King!

2nd Granite
We have arrived! It's a blighted stop in the lands but, by Armoks great beard we shall make do with what we have and become a great fortress like the books of old spoke of! I and the 6 other dwarves I have arrived with will soon create this scorched land into halls like that of the mountainhomes themselves! Also our leader has named this land Paddlemet, I like it.

16 Granite
We have unpacked and our miners are strikeing the earth! There carveing out a small enterance and farming/agraculture area so we can set up some sort of food production.

20th Granite
There seemes to be alot of, well, undead camels. This is most interesting! I have only heard of the undead in the medical texts, never to see then in there habitat, if you can call it that. I have petitioned our axedwarf to see if he can get me a speciem to study, but no promices, he said, how do you kill a dead thing.

5th Slate
Been a while, nothing new to report, we have expaneded the outpost, and as I speak, we our setting up work shops to carve the stone here into useful things, like doors, or cabinets or such, kinda boring, sigh so much for the scarry thing, meh...

20th Slate
The workshops have been completed and Azoth has started carving out doors and other things. Also were a bit low on supplies, I and our farmer agreed we needed a farm while our leader decided our animals might not need limbs, Even I laughed at the thought, heheheh.

4th Felsite
I've Gotten  Svyatoslav to go and see of he could find me a subject for me to look over, and after a few hours and some roaring in the distance, sucesses! He brought it to me in seceret and I've started to look over the "zombie" camel.

6th Felsite
The camel, or what is left of the beast, is held to gether by nothing but shreds of skin, ligiments, and pure will.(meh, I thought it funny)
There seems to be no driveing force, all organs are gone, even the brain, eyes, and heart. The teeth and hooves are abnomally sharp, but I'll put that up to the creature haveing them pre-death. More data will require more bodies of te things.

9th Felsite

Svya Has gone missig, and the group is, along with me, worried.

11th Felsite
Fell knew! my second hand dwarf has been struck-down! By none other then the demons thst I had started to study! This news this quite terrible, for I can't fell it this want my fault, I was the one who  sent him out to find these thingd, but.....life must go on, as always good timmes are always followed by "fun". They seem to gaurd his corpse, like they know he killed there breatherin...armoke help him.

I'm so sorry.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:28:07 pm by Dr.House »
"Needs vicodin to get through the day"
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

3rd Sandstone
Dire news today. We're out of booze. Luckily Azoth has started working on an elaborate pump system to fill a well cistern, soon enough we shall have water for the crops and i can start brewing - lets just hope we can establish it in time. As well, a few more dwarves arrived today, just a couple though, nothing much.

A few of those undead camels were harrassing a dwarf named Arimahn, one of the first migrants (Hes now our chief smith). Luckily Vlad was around, and promptly put an end to the nuisances - Never in my life have i seen someone so quickly destroy anything, i think he might have been channeling Svyas rage? Whatever got him in such a mood, it stayed with him for the rest of the day.

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »

I'm glad I'm not dead yet. Keeping my nose clean.  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12