Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items that can be destroyed: request info  (Read 841 times)

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items that can be destroyed: request info
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

I was reading around and saw that in older builds walls, fortifications, and floors could not be destroyed, is this still the case in the new build?

I have a neat idea for an entrance that I wanted to try, but didn't want any trolls or titans kicking it in on me.  I'm fairly new to this build and was not able to find the answer on the wiki.  I know they can kick in doors for sure, that led to the death of my first fort in this version.  I was also surprised when the goblins scaled my walls leading to the death of my 2nd fort.

Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question, but search did not turn up any current threads on this topic.
Join my Mini Trooper Raid Army:
http://rolens-rangers.minitroopers.com

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Items that can be destroyed: request info
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »

Hey. All of those can be destroyed, however there's one thing you need to take into account.
Your wall floor or fortification may be naturally carved out or constructed.
If it's carved out you can remove it by mining it. There are no carved out floors hower, those are part of the wall on the z level below.
If it's constructed, or in other words you had it built, then you must designate it for deconstruction with d n.

Oh wait you mean building destroyers. Erm I don't think any natural walls can be destroyed, no idea about constructed walls
I'm going to go ahead and say no, no walls floors or fortifications can't be destroyed. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:35:32 pm by Jelle »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

Things made with the B-C menu, including walls, floors, fortifications, stairs, and ramps, cannot be destroyed by building destroyers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

As previously stated but...

You can also dig a dry moat and then build a drawbridge over it. That may take a lot less time depending on how large of an area you need to block off.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:02:25 am »

I was also surprised when the goblins scaled my walls leading to the death of my 2nd fort.

Odds are that the goblins did not scale the walls.  They either:

- Came in a flying critters and flew over the walls (generally only happens in sieges)

- Used an upward stair / downward stair pair to get over the wall (typically left-over scaffolding)

- Got up onto the wall using a ramp on an adjacent tile (that was not removed with d-z, happens a lot if you do d-h a lot to clear space but forget to d-z the leftovers)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:13 am »

And what about supports? Trolls who attack me don't target supports, which forced me to devise different baiting traps.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:11:19 am »

1. Make crappy stone statue.
2. Surround it with traps.
3. Watch with glee as the trolls rush over to kill themselves on the traps.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:43:31 am »

I'll try this, through my current design is also simple and effective:
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
C.D.C
WWWWW
Where W=wall, D=door, C=cage/trap and .=empty floor, since trolls don't stand on it anyway.

I just wanted to make easy cave-in traps (5x5 tiles floor over a support), but they ignore it. What's worse they are able to destroy hatches from beneath them - I'm sure I've read somewhere it's impossible?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:56:59 am »

Armor stands and weapon racks work as well and don't block passage through the tile.

(And, based on what I've heard, Toady specifically removed the desire of various critters to beat up on supports.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:55 am »

What's worse they are able to destroy hatches from beneath them - I'm sure I've read somewhere it's impossible?
Wait, they can do that now?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

What's worse they are able to destroy hatches from beneath them - I'm sure I've read somewhere it's impossible?
Wait, they can do that now?

Well, I'm not experienced enough in that game to remember when they couldn't do that, but there are two things I've found on wiki which aren't true for my game (0.31.25):
1. Destroyers not destroying hatches when below:
Trolls and cyclops do destroy my hatches when standing one floor below. Only difference to other things is that when destroying doors and floodgates they stand one tile away, and there's an empty (accessible) floor tile between them and a door/floodgate (they have long arms it seems), but when destroying a hatch they stand just next to it, one Z-level below. I haven't experimented with destroying hatch from above, but I'm planning to.
2. Destroyers attacking supports:
They (trolls and cyclops) don't care about supports at all.

Also I'm not sure about bridges, but when trolls had two thing to choose: an open bridge nearby (with plenty of safe place next to it) and a door far away, they chose the door... I killed or caged them after that, so don't know whether they would destroy that bridge eventually.