Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]  (Read 19074 times)

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
Re: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2011, 04:59:18 pm »

To heck with you Daff, I'm building myself the most pimped-out tomb ever! \m/

Nah, I kid. I'll do my best! T^T if my tomb isn't done yet it's up to you to finish it 'k

Also, is there anyone who still needs/wants dorfing? I say we ought to keep a list that maybe Slax can keep up on the OP for easy reference, in a spoiler or something.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:09:50 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 12:42:57 am »

Well I haven't been dwarfed yet but I can just choose one when my turn comes around.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2011, 12:44:33 am »

Come on, start training militia! Don't forget it's Genesis you are playing, invaders come in the winter or in the spring in most cases. So please make a 5-6 dwarf army :).

Also I guess I have to request another dwarf since I was dead, call him Deon II :).

Quote from: Melkor
Okay I don’t really know how to tell the poor bugger but his.. well his crotch has been tore open.
Her, not his :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2011, 01:41:38 am »

Come on, start training militia! Don't forget it's Genesis you are playing, invaders come in the winter or in the spring in most cases.
You know, in the year or so I've been playing Genesis, I've never actually been sieged. :(
Granted, my forts usually only last about three years at the most until I lose interest, but I've definitely never gotten an invasion in either the first or second year :-\ Do I just have bad luck?

...but then I guess with this skeleton crew I should be knocking on wood 8<

Update tomorrow afternoon/evening (I'm on GMT -7, I think). I have some screencaps taken, but I have too bad a headache tonight to do a decent write-up, and a doctor's appointment to get up early for tomorrow.  :-[
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:35 am »

Do you settle somewhere unaccessible or something? Because I am usually besieged in the first winter, and then multiple sieges come (1-2-3 at once).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:37 am »

i usually die my first siege. i can never find any iron to make steel and the merchants only have 1 or 2 steel bars.
so my guys dont have any weapons wen the siege comes.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2011, 02:53:33 am »

Do you settle somewhere unaccessible or something?
Not that I know of... I mean, trade caravans/merchants (have caravans been fixed yet, anyway? I know it's a vanilla bug so I'm not bugging you for once Deon :P)/liaisons get through okay, and on the embark screen my sites always have some civs (usually werewolves and the like) that have red lines (although I've never encountered the WAR that someone, I think rainekage, mentioned)...  :-\

Oh, and melkor, just because IC!asfghn (who can't even spell his own name*) is blaming you for everything that has gone wrong, please don't take offense! Inter-narrator-tension is always fun in succession games, I think (thinking now especially of Headshoots and Boatmurdered, which I think even involved an overseer's ghost talking about getting some +Iron Chain+ to rattle).

And anyway a bit of ribbing never did anybody any harm. ;D

why am i still awake i don't know

*By the way, is the 'accent' too hard to read for anybody? He can always encounter literacy in the afterlife if so. :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:59:20 am by asfghn »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2011, 03:01:13 am »

i usually die my first siege. i can never find any iron to make steel and the merchants only have 1 or 2 steel bars.
Settling on shallow metals with high mineral frequency always puts 1-2 metal veins on the surface :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 03:04:34 am »

i never take offense. ever! :P
but wen your playing please be carfull for that shaft.
i think i have blocked it of but you can never be sure

Settling on shallow metals with high mineral frequency always puts 1-2 metal veins on the surface :).
yes i have metal... zinc and tin not very usefull.
people have said to trade with the mechants but as i have said before they just have to few to get equipment

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2011, 03:17:36 am »

My response to the early sieges usually ends up with me sealing off the surface and digging around underground getting everything running more or less on autopilot, then after 3 years of training and trap building I open the gates and slaughter everyone (or get my militia killed and end up sealing the entrance again) :P

Usually at this point at the latest I start constructing some doomsday device that will kill everything on the surface... most often I update to a new version that breaks saves before I get it built but.... yeah :D

Oh and I usually have atleast a small section of the caverns walled off with floor to ceiling walls... I have actually walled off entire cavern layers as well but it gets sorta boring with the creatures spawning in the 1-tile wide space between the wall and the edge of the map.

At this point I have forgotten if I ever had a point when starting to type this post... oh well I'll stop ranting now.

EDIT: Oh cock, I just deleted my genesis folder with the new fort just gotten to working order... it was a nice embark too, with a volcano and a stream and some fire clay and a 1000 year history.

I hate world gen and embarking  :'(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:22:04 am by Daff »
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2011, 05:49:40 am »

Can I join in? :P

I was on the pieisgoo thread, by the way.
:3

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 06:48:35 am »

asfghn are you bussy with the fort.
is that the reason its taking so long :P

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

It's taking so long because my computer started overheating and shutting down periodically by itself yesterday, which made it really hard to play DF for any length of time. :P

seriously, it was awful—it would shut down with no warning or fanfare, just suddenly go black and dead—and if I tried to turn it on again right away it should shut off again within two or three seconds
[edit] any computer experts know what could have caused that? I thought it might have been a virus, but my disk scans clean, and it kind of sounds more like an overheating issue anyway... thoughts?

It's being good today though, so I should have an update ready and posted sometime this afternoon/evening! LOOK FORWARD TO IT, DESU DESU
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:15:18 pm by asfghn »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2011, 08:25:37 pm »

I'll like a dwarf Ranged if able but any military will do.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2011, 11:52:05 pm »

It's taking so long because my computer started overheating and shutting down periodically by itself yesterday, which made it really hard to play DF for any length of time. :P

seriously, it was awful—it would shut down with no warning or fanfare, just suddenly go black and dead—and if I tried to turn it on again right away it should shut off again within two or three seconds
[edit] any computer experts know what could have caused that? I thought it might have been a virus, but my disk scans clean, and it kind of sounds more like an overheating issue anyway... thoughts?

It's being good today though, so I should have an update ready and posted sometime this afternoon/evening! LOOK FORWARD TO IT, DESU DESU
It looks like your fan is dead. Try to replace it first. This way you can have your CPU fried.

If your PC shuts down by itself it means a good and a bad thing: 1) A good thing is that you have a system on your motherboard which turns the power down once it's too hot; 2) A bad thing is that it is not natural and most likely a sign that your CPU fan is dying or you need a better cooling system.

What is your average CPU temp when you play DF?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14