Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]  (Read 19079 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2011, 05:12:07 pm »

It's because you need a higher resolution on yo' monitor, Jimmy-Jim-Jim-Bob J. Jim.

Big ol' spider pets. Foundbolder's going to be a great place to start a family.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:13:38 pm by Slax »

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »

2nd Galena year 552

We got some new migrants again, boosting our population to 38 dwarves...
Where am I going to put all these bastards!?

PS. If you're missing a part of a picture there should be a scroll bar on the bottom of the image.

1st Limestone year 552

We have manufactured our 2nd artifact Enkosgemesh, Takenconflicts!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's shiny!

There is an Ezrakim caravan visiting us. We'll see what they brought if melkor wakes up and gets to the depot some day.

22nd Sandstone year 552

More migrants on the horizon, again.

We have dug out a considerable area as catacombs to bury our dead in, no more burying the honoured dead in the stockpile room!

Soon we'll also have working magma kilns and glass furnaces, no metal to be found here. The land is barren.

A new underground trade depot has been built, complete with a mechanism to neutralize any "hostile" traders, I am also having work done on our surface parts to better protect ourselves from enemies.

Overall it has been very quiet around here after the cyclops... almost, too quiet. I'm sure we are about to be sieged and eaten sometime soon, must prepare!

28th Timber year 552

We have struck the fabled metal, Armok be praised!

I have ordered some new traps to be made, once word of our discovery gets around we'll be under assault from all sorts of cretins.

27th Slate year 553

We just had a large migration arrive, population is up to 72.

I have one last project I want to finish before retiring to a quiet life of catalogues and smelting, more of that later. With pictures and a general overview of the fort.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:31:37 am by Daff »
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2011, 04:52:48 am »

your screenshots are missing some on the right. is this beacause their to big?

A common cure is to view it in another tab. Easy in all browsers lately, for example in Firefox you rightclick the image and middle-click the "View Image" choice; it will open in new tab at default zoom. I dont see why people are obsessed with high resolutions. After a certain threshold you stop seeing pixels so there's no point in adding more. And it makes your interfaces look tiny in most apps. In DF it's solved by making a huge tileset, but then it becomes pretty much unviewable or unplayable to everyone else.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:44 am »

Right, time to hand over the fort, sorry for taking so long, had to redesign parts of the flushing mechanism I constructed and there was a small demon siege as well. The demons were handily defeated at the entrance bridge by our militia and traps. On to the pictures and overview!

20th Limestone year 553

Here's the status screen of the fort.
We have plenty of food and drink, large farms and some livestock for cheese and yarn. I have more or less neglected the micro management of our workforce for almost a whole year, but the fortress does pretty much run by itself for now. Bunnies and kittens and the occasional horse have been butchered for meat, along with random animals arriving with migrants.

The surface area near the entrance is seen here. The two smaller walled areas are a pump tower in the north and a mill in the south, the mill can only be accessed from underground.
The entrance "bridge" is a 1 tile wide solid piece of ground with retractable bridges on either side, under the bridges is a pit that currently has some demons at the bottom, who didn't quite die from the fall.
The centre of the bridge has weapon traps with spiked wooden balls and serrated glass discs to knock enemies down to the pit, followed by a few cage traps.
Glass spikes are in construction to be placed at the bottom.
There is also a flushing mechanism that dumps water to the middle of the bridge that just got built, it has not been tested. It should continuously pour enough water that anyone trying to pass will be pushed down to the pit, the pit drains to the caverns and the entrance hallway has drains to prevent the fortress from flooding if the water spills that far.

Here you can see the farm area and in the north part of the entry tunnel and the trade depot.
The trade depot entrance has floodgates and can be sealed, there is a pump on the surface to drain the depot room should any flooding occur.

This area is a few levels below the farms and the stockpile and has the dining room in the middle upper part of the picture with food storage next to it and the main workshop room at the bottom.
Please note the levers around the large central staircase

Residential area on the same level as the dining and workshops. Bedrooms on the left and what I planned on becoming the throne room in the future on the lower right side.

Lastly a picture of our catacombs, currently having some room for more coffins.

We do also have an area built for magma powered furnaces and thingies of all kinds, but the lack of an anvil has for now prevented the starting of a metal industry. No caravan has yet brought an anvil. We also have an armorsmith who just got a fey mood...

All levers have a (N)ote attached explaining their function, this was done to prevent accidental flooding.

The militia is a bit threadbare and the first squad is whatever was slapped together by melkor (most of the surviving original dwarves with various weapons and armorpieces) and the 2nd squad is made up off two marksdwarves, neither squad has any training facilities. Overall they have been supprisingly effective, try to face the enemies at the bridge with the pit and traps and the bridges retracted. Most enemies will then be falling down and dodging traps and thus won't get to gang up on your poor dwarves.

Oh, our blood spider was killed by an illithid ambush a while back, we now have a scorpion guarding the gates :D

And finally the file itself: Foundboulder

And now I will retire to a quiet life of ledgers and smelting, try not to break the fort ;)

EDIT:
If you decide to breach the caverns at some point you should be carefull, there are 2 forgotten beasts running around and one of them is made of salt and spews poison.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:31:27 am by Daff »
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »

Alright.
No word from asfghn yet so billybobfred gets the next turn.

Foundboulder powers on!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2011, 03:38:58 am »

Here's the fixed save: I finally make The curse of Grand Cross to be NOT an instakill poison, and mephits no longer adopt owners, they are pretty nasty so if you want to kill them, do it without repercussions :).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4309
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2011, 04:31:41 am »

Would like to be dorfed as something :)
edit: by which I mean I would liked to be dorfed and have no real care as to what profession. Not that I would like to be dorfed with the name something, which would of course be hardly anything at all.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2011, 10:03:13 am »

billybobfred's MIA so, next contestant!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2011, 01:15:18 pm »

My turn already? Gah sorry your going to have to pass over me, things just got busy for me since I wasn't expecting the save to come so soon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2011, 02:18:14 pm »

So it's SirAaronIII's turn, I will PM him.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »

Nope. Every skipped turn gets bumped. Baron Baconeer's already been notified.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:51 pm »

Man, I really hate it when I get PMed for a turn and it just so happens that it isn't really my turn.  ::)
Oh well, if he doesn't respond, I'm ready.

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:53 am »

I am sorry, I didn't see that you juggled the participants around and put them back on the list, I was judging by the last name skipped in the list :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2011, 02:42:59 am »

MIA guys scrubbed from the list. Aaron's up.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:29 am »

I'm still alive. I just happened to be gone on the particular day you PM'd me. <.<;

(mayyyyybe i could have mentioned this before now?)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14