Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]  (Read 19073 times)

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:12 am »

asfghn are you bussy with the fort.
is that the reason its taking so long :P
It's taking so long because my computer started overheating and shutting down periodically by itself yesterday, which made it really hard to play DF for any length of time. :P

seriously, it was awful—it would shut down with no warning or fanfare, just suddenly go black and dead—and if I tried to turn it on again right away it should shut off again within two or three seconds
[edit] any computer experts know what could have caused that? I thought it might have been a virus, but my disk scans clean, and it kind of sounds more like an overheating issue anyway... thoughts?

It's being good today though, so I should have an update ready and posted sometime this afternoon/evening! LOOK FORWARD TO IT, DESU DESU

Huh yeah, we should have talked abot this earlier. You never told me the symptoms. Yes, the more you use the CPU, the more it crashes. Thats why the crash seems random; when you are doing little on the PC, it's less likely to crash. Laptop or desktop? For laptops, it is a major consideration not to keep it somewhere warm or soft, like your bed or pillow, or even your lap. It needs to have a gap below it, so the air can go around! Do you hear your fan working or not? Depending on your fan, the difference could be larger or subtler... but it should be there. Your best hopes are that it just got unplugged for some reason and that you can just plug it back in.

It is true, a computer will shut down once it overheats, to prevent damage. I remember having these issues with my own computer, and, I was still a big newbie back then. I remember checking my bootstraper's hardware monitor and found that the temperature was 105C (about 220F), eesh. How the computer is still alive today, is beyond me. Anyway, this would imply that computer hardware is not as silky as most people think, and that it can take quite a lot of pain before giving in. Still, if this is the issue, you wont be able to properly use the PC til you get it fixed.

Use your PC a while, then shutdown/hibernate and quickly check the temperature in the bootstrapper (BIOS). Like Deon said, that's a good starting point. I'll try to help more once we get to talk again.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 04:12:11 am »

You can check the temperature on the fly, no need to shutdown. Just get any of PC monitoring utilities.

Also how old is your fan? Their magnets become weaker with time so this could cause an issue. Also how fast do your fans spin and what is your CPU?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:02 am »

Oooh, try not to cook your computer!

HWMonitor is a decent general monitor program, shows cpu gpu and motherboard temperatures and voltages and stuff :D

And you better leave the fort in good running order before it's my turn! (now that I've said that I bet I'll have 20 goblins inside the fort once I start :o)

Note to self: Eat _before_ sharpening the knives, there is such a thing as too much iron in the diet.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:55 am »

Speedfan is my current favorite temperature monitoring utility. A little slow to start sometimes, but way more accurate than any of the others I've tried. Plus it can tell if your fan is dead.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:19 am »

I was about to say about hardware monitoring, but... I felt it unnecessary, meow! It doesnt mean that I forgot. I have six or seven monitoring utilities myself. None critical to this issue. The BIOS one is fastest and simplest to access; and yeah, it also reports fan speed, or its lack.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »

Well that's no small problem. Your turn will be skipped for now, asfghn.
Daff's up.
For those who hadn't noticed, the one year rule is no more.
Play for as long as you like, just don't go crazy and run the place into the ground (no pun intended).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:20:46 pm by Slax »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2011, 12:14:02 am »

Well that's no small problem. Your turn will be skipped for now, asfghn.
Daff's up.
For those who hadn't noticed, the one year rule is no more.
Play for as long as you like, just don't go crazy and run the place into the ground (no pun intended).

Um... its better to have the one year rule to at least have a semi-consistent passing of the save...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:25 am »

You may want to change that you run 3.25d now, because I've updated the save :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2011, 01:04:46 am »

Alrighty, downloading the save, expect to hear from me later today. (It's 9:04 here atm)
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2011, 05:49:20 am »

Um... its better to have the one year rule to at least have a semi-consistent passing of the save...

No. (Make your own thread if you want to set the rules.) Play for a year if you want. Ain't free will a gem?
And with that declaration, Foundboulder gets a theme song.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:21:41 pm by Slax »

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 12:29:35 am »

Sorry about the delay, I got really drunk yesterday and didn't play DF. I'll get on to it today :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:40 am »

Come on, I am eager to see what happens :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2011, 08:21:37 am »

Saying isn't doing. If you say you're going to do something you'd better do it... or your turn will be skipped.
You get one warning.

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »

2nd Granite year 552

I have arrived at Foundboulder, the fort seems to have been designed by a drunken goblin, but we do have a working farm and plenty of storage space.
I have decided to start developing the industry with focus on magma powered metalworks and perhaps some sort of defenses would be in order...

-Daff II, overseer

EDIT:

6th Slate year 552

A massive migration has arrived, boosting our population to 34, some of the new dwarves might even be usefull.

The miners have dug an underground pasture area for our cattle and are currently enlarging it to support the influx of new animals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2:

21st Slate year 552
The first artifact of Foundboulder has been created,Ashmoniger, Shadyriver!

16th Felsite year 552

Sylvan elves have shown up to trade, we'll see what they have to offer us...

11th Hematite year 552

We have traded logs and food from the elves along with a tame bloodspider that will be place in the entrance tunnel to guard against enemies.
Several thieves have been discovered lurking around the surface.

14th Hematite year 552

Oh noes!

The cyclops is dead, we lost some dwarves but no one important I believe. There is also some rumours about a mighty beast roaming the caverns... Good thing we have sealed them...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:40:33 pm by Daff »

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »

your screenshots are missing some on the right. is this beacause their to big?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14