Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]  (Read 19033 times)

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Foundboulder", here we are! [Genesis Succession]
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

ill take a turn, I can take one today actually... so yeah.... hurrah i diddent really look at the turn thing. but i will look at it now (and i will probubly go overboard adding notes to all the leavers

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:01 pm »

Checking back, um so can i take a turn? i guess i diddent clarify that is was a question...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:38 am »

Sure I posted the save there one female mind flayer overseer in her room so please try not to open or seal up the room.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

Well I get to place and I take a good look around, beards, good, tamed forgotten beast, (i wonder if they can breed...) odd fetish to have but whatever, the stockpiles are an upper mess so i go in to delete them and rearange them so they are atleast somewhat organised............... I CANT DELETE THEM!!!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENEING HERE.

anyway i guess ill have to leave that as it is, but then the next message i see is that the miners are trying to mine a innaproprate dig square, i check all the bedrooms, and none of the women are being mined into so i continue looking, and i give up before i care. I go up to someone and ask, ok what the hell do you guys need. And he complains quite out of breath that he has been hauling all day all night over and over.

Now i diddent find this too odd... but i found out that the hauling times are reduculosly long so i search for a good area to designate the work floor.

also why the fuck is this flood not controlled, i understand that dwarfs need mist for there rough skin but seriously, i take one step outside and fall waist deep in mud. but again i ignore it, because im sure there is a hidden switch for fixing it, moveing on I order the minders to dig stuff. Well when thats done things will be better... i hope

Also while going through the dececed list we had two antlions, and (im hopeing we are in untamed wilds) i REALLY want a giant desert scorpion, just imagine, one sting and the hfs would succumb and die (i think ???)

after that i has an encounter with a dread troll and gloved the lengendary awesomeness killed him... easily

yay i found how to turn the water pump off so i can make a wall around it to keel it from flooding the world... ok it wont flood the world but i told urist mcdonothing that it would, and he changed his middle name to usually.

........... i think i should skip my turn, because lets just say i wated to stop the water, so i accedentaly broke the bridge.... and half the fortress plummeted to there deathes........oops.....  :-[

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »

Well I get to place and I take a good look around, beards, good, tamed forgotten beast, (i wonder if they can breed...) odd fetish to have but whatever, the stockpiles are an upper mess so i go in to delete them and rearange them so they are atleast somewhat organised............... I CANT DELETE THEM!!!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENEING HERE.

anyway i guess ill have to leave that as it is, but then the next message i see is that the miners are trying to mine a innaproprate dig square, i check all the bedrooms, and none of the women are being mined into so i continue looking, and i give up before i care. I go up to someone and ask, ok what the hell do you guys need. And he complains quite out of breath that he has been hauling all day all night over and over.

Now i diddent find this too odd... but i found out that the hauling times are reduculosly long so i search for a good area to designate the work floor.

also why the fuck is this flood not controlled, i understand that dwarfs need mist for there rough skin but seriously, i take one step outside and fall waist deep in mud. but again i ignore it, because im sure there is a hidden switch for fixing it, moveing on I order the minders to dig stuff. Well when thats done things will be better... i hope

Also while going through the dececed list we had two antlions, and (im hopeing we are in untamed wilds) i REALLY want a giant desert scorpion, just imagine, one sting and the hfs would succumb and die (i think ???)

after that i has an encounter with a dread troll and gloved the lengendary awesomeness killed him... easily

yay i found how to turn the water pump off so i can make a wall around it to keel it from flooding the world... ok it wont flood the world but i told urist mcdonothing that it would, and he changed his middle name to usually.

........... i think i should skip my turn, because lets just say i wated to stop the water, so i accedentaly broke the bridge.... and half the fortress plummeted to there deathes........oops.....  :-[
SSssssilly oversssseer can't handle a little water? Alssso the only way to sssstop it is to destroy the water pump and fix the issue. Though from what I heard this place was run by looniessss.
"body swapping and YOU!"

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »

SSssssilly oversssseer can't handle a little water? Alssso the only way to sssstop it is to destroy the water pump and fix the issue. Though from what I heard this place was run by looniessss.

....terrified.... :'(,

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2011, 09:52:28 am »

Ummm... gentlemen, I'd like to sign up for a turn of overseeing.
I'm new to succession games, though not-so-new to DF and Genesis especially.
Dorf me if that doesn't bothers you much:
Name: Nolemocius
Sex: male
profession: mechanic OR some organizer, though this is not so important.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »

we currently overgoing a slight lack of overseers the last one kinda ran off.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »

Alright, I'm still here. So if the place is free, I'll take the save and make it one year forth, right? right?
Should I take the save posted by Rumrusher or wait for something else to happen?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »

Take mine I was finish not to long ago.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:22 pm »

Alright, I've got your save and starting to play. I expect to get finished in a week, but Armok knows what moods can happen to me.

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

Diary of Nolemocius the Hauler King.
<first page slightly sprinkled woth booze, the handwriting is shaky>

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I am SO sad my father can't see me at the moment - I'm full of win as nowhen else! Today it became absolutely clear that Rumrusher, our Overseer, is turning down the job - and the next dorf on queue is somewhat missing! So there was a puzzled silence for a moment, and I realized that my time has finally come. I stepped forward and volunteered! Well, I had to repeat it a couple of times before the folks heard me, but then! - then they heard, and look mommy, I'm running a fortress, completeley real, with adamantine and miners! Armok's mercy, I'm so proud I can't even hold the barrel still.

SO I stepped in the middle of the Dining hall and prepared to pronounce the Oath of the Overseer. I don't remember where did I find the text, but they say it's a tradition that when a new Overseer takes place as the head of the fortress, he says something like it. Who am I to neglect the traditions? So I pulled out a weared sheet of parchment, gave a punch to a goose who was trying to pull it from my hands, and started to read aloud the tattered runes:
==========================
OATH OF THE OVERSEER

I SWEAR BY M'NAME AND M'BEARD, BY M'KIN AND ANCESTORS, I SWEAR BEFORE DWARFS AND THE BLOODY EYES OF ARMOK HIMSELF, I SWEAR BY HEAT OF MAGMA AND THE HARDNESS OF ROCK, BY HEAPS OF KITTEN BONES THAT DWARFDOM STANDS ON, BY ALL THE BOOZE I'VE DRINKEN AND WILL EVER DRINK, BY ARMOK AND ALL THAT'S DWARVEN, THAT I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN SUCH AN ELVEN MESS OF A FORTRESS, THAT A PARALYZED DEMENTED GOBLIN WOULD SET HIS PANTS ON BETTER THAN THIS FORTRESS IS SET UP, THAT THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD WILL SHUDDER AND WEEP IF THEY MANAGE TO GRASP THE SHEER CARPNESS OF THE DISORDER THAT IS CALLED THE FORTRESS OF FOUNDBOULDER!
BUT I WILL DO MY BEST TO BRING EITHER GLORY OR FUN TO THIS PLACE, AS FAR AS I CAN DRINK A SINGLE DROP OF BOOZE AND COMMAND A SINGLE D0RF TO DO SOMETHING. FOR TEH TOADS, STRIKE THE EARTH!!!!
==========================
Y'know, somebody has even left their meals to listen to me! Including one cow and a rabbit.
Alright, enough with the formal obligations, time to do something cool!
"And now I'd like to make a tour through a fortress!" - I announced. Not a single face turned to me, so I left the dining room alone.
As I wandered through the fortress, and watched things, and talked dwarfs, and made my mind, I slightly began to realize what does the Oath mean.
Y'know, it's not all jokes.

The major element of disorder is the so-called "water trap". Okay, I see what should it do, but what it REALLY does is provide trespassers with a constant cold shower, knocking the d0rfs around, providing mist and stopping time. The citizens have began to call it "Armok's leak" and "the elven shower". I don't know which one is more of an insult.
So they say, there are levers that control the infernal machine. There they are, next to the eating place. Hell, I ordered every one of them pulled several times. The depot flushing works excellent, the bridges are functional too - but none of the, seems to have any effect on the water flow, which goes in pulses. There is a hatch, they say, a single hatch that will save you all.

And there are animals. All right, we don't have elefants shitting in the dining room like in the legends of the Shipkilled (or what was it?), but the geese! one has stolen my cookie when I was dining recently. This is unbearable. So I ordered all the cows and horses and alpacas to the pasture. Grazers gonna graze. Then I found out that all of them are already written in the death list at the butcher's, including the dogs! and kittens! Awwww, they're so cute... To elves with them - all the little animals should butchered, except for kittens and mastiff puppies. Oh yes, the mules are in the death list too. Built a third butchery and a tannery near - we have no leather at all, it's a crime! 

But the carp-damned water trap! I interrogated the mechanics, I tried to get that hatch working - and found the truth.

THE HATCH IS A LIE

So, without decisive measures, we're doomed by the existence of this infernal machine. Sealed behind the walls, the cogs turn, the pumps pump and count the FPS lives of dwarves! I hereby announce the beginning of the Operation Watergeddon! Strike the earth! and get the hatch ready

On the lower floors some hostile beasties pop up every week or less, scaring dwarves and spoiling the management. Well, sometimes I'll find the hole they are crawling through. As for now, our military runs back and forth in their shiny blue uniforms, slicing limbs off and sticking them up the asses of poor creatures.
Oh, the military! Well, I agree those champions look cool, but why all the rest of good shooters and cutters are undrafted? My, we don't have even the chief killer appointed. I fix this, luckily the soldiers are marked in the list by their respective squads.

All right, we've got the cutters, but what will they cut with? We have some blue armor, some weapons and an elfton of goblinite (centaurite, whatever) arms. But hey, you don't normally fight with a piece of ore in your hands, right? So I make a stockpile of crappy arms&armor by the smelters, and choose one to process the l00t. At least we'll have copper bolts for the marksd0rfs soon. Ouch, what's that? The legendary melter falls unconscious in the middle of a corridor! And that's not an ambush, he just happen to have some old injuries in the spinal nerve (!) That must be a world of pain, but he's still trying to do the job. A brave guy, I like him. But what does this tell us?
Elementary, Watson - we've got no hospital. I order a room dug out near the barracks.

I observe the neat rows of our bedrooms and suddenly notice that half of them looks somewhat deserted. I ask a dwarf passing by if he knows any owner of this rooms, and he stares at me puzzled: "'Tis ain't no bedrooms, and ne'er been!" Oh carp, we've got two dozen of nice rooms, complete with beds and polishing - and they are empty just because nobody labeled them free to claim! What do they all think, that it's some kind of a hotel for merchants and friendly adventurers? Elfshit, I say! I announce all the rooms to be vacant bedrooms, and just some days later I see some names carved on the doors. Nice, we're solving the apartment problem.

<the handwriring becomes sloppy>

It's just the first day, and I'm tired like by wrestling an FB. I know why that guy ran away. He's a wise one.

* made a door to the upper cavern, plan walling off a part, together with the magma shaft.

* replan workshops, stockpiles and stuff. Haulers gonna haul.
* repair the yard, refit the Armok's leak.
* sleep!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:35:01 pm by Nolemocius »

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:14 am »

Log of Nolemocius the Hauler King.

Days are passing by like minutes, that's frightening. The job is all-consuming. I don't even remember what did I have for breakfast, wine or beer. *shrugs*

Yes, I underestimated the previous rulers - we have a hospital, though the beds are full. Looks like all that disabled dwarves wandering the fortress really can't be helped.
But wait, we've got no soap and plaster powder! Alright, life is possible without nice gypsum casings, but soap is needed urgently.
And look at that, we have THREE kilns already built, and no shortage of pieces of ex-living creatures. So the ash is no problem, the same with tallow - remember all those cute lambs we slaughtered recently? I order to set up the production queue.

The previous overseer, Rumrusher, has freaked me out recently. He approached me in some corridor, laid a hand on my shoulder and said: "Remember, lad - don't bury the dead. Let them lay where they are."
That gave me creeps for sure.

But in general the news are good. The operation Watergeddon was a complete success. It's a pity I forgot to put down the names of the heroic miners who dug the tunnel to infiltrate the infernal machine, and the brave hauler who threw the hatch over the pump intake and brought the mechanism to a halt. May Armok bless you, unsung heroes.

So, the intake hatch is hooked to the "Pump control" lever just a level above the yard. The other hatch, guarding the output over the bridge, is controlled by the "Bridge flusher" lever. I tap its glossy stone hadle every time I pass it on my way to the dining room. It gives me confidence.

A messenger rushed in. Down in the first cavern, he says, a giant monster is ravaging people! Holy shit, an FB near the magma forges! Oh, alright, it's just a toad. A toad. Huh. Okay, let the militia handle it.
A squad rushes in to protect the civilians. Packed in adamantine, they seem confident to beat the shit out of the vile amphibian. Yay the fighters!!
Oh, wait. Two dwarves are already crawling from the fight scene, unable to stand up. What is this toad, for elves' sake?!
The two wounded are new recruits, barely able to wield their nice adamantium swords. And now both of them lack a foot. That cursed toad must have a taste for dwarven feet... the pervert!
Okay, it had. The rest of of the squad corner it and after a while, the beast is down. I sadly remove the cripples from the squad, they won't be fighting again. That'll teach them that it is unwise to boast adamantium breastplate, but leather boots in close combat.
Enough with this "accidents"! I order a chunk of the cavern to be walled off, with the magma pipe in the middle. Haulers bring stone to the caverns, masons start bringing up the walls.
I'm informed that a wave of migrants have arrived from the mountainhomes. Nice! Our valiant effort needs more talented workers. Only in numbers can we show the world the wrath of the dwarven management! What d'you say, there is a king with his entourage! Good, they'll also make usWAIT, WHAT???!!!
I hurry up to the gates. A solemn posture of our queen (who said it's a king?) stands near the deserted labour camp. No guards, consorts, fools, favourites or whatever is seen. And the queen stands still.
I begin to shiver. "Hurry, you elf lovers!" - I shout, - "Get the throne room ready for Her Dorfiness!!!!!"
We have a nice throne room, filled with our best artifacts, with intricate curved walls. I think, we can even put a nice bed here so her Highness will take a nap while the miners carve out her bedroom...
Hours pass, the queen does nothing. She doesn't announce any demands, keys for the fortress, whatever - she just stands near the border of the settlement and gazes around.
I finally lose my nerve. Fuck this, I'm going to do my job. If the queen wants something from me, she'll let me know, alright? She's a queen after all, she must know what she's doing. Maybe she's just admiring the landscape. We've got a picturesque puddle at the gates...
A sylvan caravan is sighted shortly after. Good, the trade is the engine of the progress... after us the dwarves, of course. As a mountainhomes now, we gotta show that elves our wealth, generosity and economical flexibility. Bring out the goods!
Oh carp, I must have foreseen this. Two hordes of demons cross our borders from the north. I call the sharpshooters up on the walls, the soldiers to the entrance, and everybody else inside. The demons advance slowly, and the citizens hurry to the gates, they have time.
Ahem, your highness? Please pay attention to the gestures I'm making. Time to get somewhere safOH SHI---
A bunch of tentacle-faced mindfuckers sprungs out of nowhere. I even can't say a thing, and just watch the queen and a lone sylvan being chased around the corner. I am petrified.
The marksdwarves send bone bolts flying, and sometimes they even find their target, piercing unarmored foes. Two reckless soldiers run out of the gate, past the bridge, and chase the already fleeing illithids, hacking them in the backs. They folow the very last one to the borders, too excited to see...
The two squads of demons approach, taking the walls in a pincer - and the brave soldiers too. The crossbows sing their song, but despite injuries, the abominations proceed to crush our soldiers from the two sides. I can't even send the rest of the guard outside, for it will incur even heavier losses.
One of the two militiad0rfs, a veteran fighter with a heavy breath from an old wond, engages with four demons at once, and falls shortly after, heroically taking his last stand. The horned slayers turn, and what they see makes them back in horror.
Thn second dwarf swings his hammer left and right, beating the shit ou of the attackers. Bone bolts rain from the walls, aiding him. The demons are broken, and run away!!! Our hero stands victorious, having finished off those not fast enough. Hail to the mad ones!!!! Then I realize.
The queen is gone. There is no sign of her anywhere.
Oh holy elven-bred carp, what have I done??!!!!!!

I sit in my office, unable to eat or stand up. I wait for the guards to come and get me, and dumo into magma, saying "You, lad, has dishonored the goddamn most valuable thing a dwarf has after his beard and his booze! - the dwarven queen! Go to hell and let the demons embrace you!!!"

But nobody comes. Hours pass, and the silence in the room becomes tingly.
Then I stand up.
To hell with the queen.
To hell with that royal bitch, unable to find her own throne!
They said "you are now the mountainhomes", right! Hell yes!
Let'em choose a new king, or invite one, or whatever they want. This place needs someone to run - and here am I!!!
I will manage and optimize the shitcore out of this place, if I have to.
The Foundboulder will live, even without the king.

The smelters have been working day and night, smelting the blood-stained posessions of the former invaders. Bars of copper, and cobalt, and iron pile up near the forges. Time for them to get used.

I can't see the legendary Weaponcrafter, we somewhat have lost him. A pity, but no one is irreplaceable. I get the next best one and tell him that from no on, the forge will be his home and the copper bolts will be his children. Off he goes.

The cage traps have run out of cages. Strange. Who is occupying those cages we had??? Oh, the living archery targets!
I order them to be dumped into the arena and the marksdwarves to get into the shooting range. Soon, as I pass by, I hear the crossbows releasing their loads and low growls. Oh, I ordered to use the bone bolts, though we've got a plenty of copper ones.
It must be slow, I said, and it must be painful.
Suddenly I see some marksdwarf, leaning at the wall outside the arena. What is he, eavesdropping? You fucking pansy, get inside and shoot some demon yourself!!!

The walling off of the cavern is complete, so our citizens will be safer.
Another wave of migrants come in. They don't seem to be bothered about all the queen problem, what seems nice for me. Our pops is nice above 200. Someone said you can't gather more than two hundred dwarves together. Screw this. We're the mountainhomes, we make the rules.

As the caverns are secure, I order the trees inside be cut down. We have iron. We need steel.

The summer goes on.

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:35 am »

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I haven't still figured out how to post them correctly. I'll fix that later.
I am unable to finish the year in at least two days more. But as there's no living soul eager to get their hands on the fortress, I guess it's okay :)
Hey folks, do I have to be the last ruler of the Foundboulder?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:52 am »

Have you tried an image host?
or you don't know which one to use?
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14