Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Most annoying thing?  (Read 4142 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying thing?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 02:44:48 am »

The lack of specificity that many workshops have.  I want to just be able to tell the still to make two barrels of wine and one of rum, tell the quern to mill nothing but dimple cup, and tell the jeweler's shop to decorate that specific statue, instead of micromanaging everything.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 02:51:03 am »

Micromanaging applied to almost everything. Impossibility to move military without attacking everything (it is also called "retreat" or "run away, idiots!").
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:24 am »

Pets. Bunnies and birds (though strangely I am no longer OCD about the odd cat)

The annoy me, even if their systematic destruction is beneficial and blood for the blood god. Still annoy me.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:32 am »

I don't "hate" slow FPS death, I hate the fact that for some reason, DF only uses 50% of my CPU. THAT is what I hate.

Do you have a dual-core processor? DF can only use one core (there's some very limited second-core stuff for the graphics, but it's... well, very limited...)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 10:31:41 am »

Three things, all regarding caverns.

1. I get there and it's full of water.
2.I get there and it's ramp central.
3. I get there and troglodytes zerg rush me.

It happens every time. -_-
Blargh.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:15 pm »

Three things, all regarding caverns.

1. I get there and it's full of water.
2.I get there and it's ramp central.
3. I get there and troglodytes zerg rush me.

It happens every time. -_-
Ouch.

Try putting up a hallway of death. Example: 15 traps loaded with serrated disks.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »

The 'I'm never gonna put on the clothes i claimed' bug, and closely related, the hidden miner/woodcutter/hunter uniform bug. I know there's workarounds and such, but still.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

The lack of specificity that many workshops have.  I want to just be able to tell the still to make two barrels of wine and one of rum, tell the quern to mill nothing but dimple cup, and tell the jeweler's shop to decorate that specific statue, instead of micromanaging everything.

Yes that would be nice.  I would also like to setup certain shops to only accept certain types of jobs from the manager.  For example, my bonecarver's craft workshop for bolts is usually with my other weapon and military industries rather than near my export industries where the stonecrafter's workshops are.  I would love to designate the workshop near the military complex to only accept bonecarving jobs and the ones near the export area to only accept stone jobs.  Then I could go into my job manager and say 30 bone bolts and 60 rock crafts and have them only goto the proper work shop.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »

The general rational behavior, or lack thereof, of dwarves.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2011, 02:18:49 pm »

Yes that would be nice.  I would also like to setup certain shops to only accept certain types of jobs from the manager.  For example, my bonecarver's craft workshop for bolts is usually with my other weapon and military industries rather than near my export industries where the stonecrafter's workshops are.  I would love to designate the workshop near the military complex to only accept bonecarving jobs and the ones near the export area to only accept stone jobs.  Then I could go into my job manager and say 30 bone bolts and 60 rock crafts and have them only goto the proper work shop.
But then the military can't go kill the muggers D:

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:28 pm »

+1 for FPS problems, especially the single-core limitations.

+9001 for job designation and migrant management. In-game is doable but after 40 dwarves or so DTherapist is mandatory. Seeing the entire work population at a glance instead of going through each dwarf and setting a name/profession/enabled jobs/disabling junk hauling for skilled workers individually... priceless. It's 15 seconds to scan and assign a dwarf the Farmsmith job, vs a few minutes to tab through all the job menus and tag them/assign work individually.

There really should at least be a way to define a material set per workshop. The ability to define stockpiles and make supply chains is already there, I should be able to put a no-skill mason on a shop that does nothing but make siltstone blocks for the fortress walls. Also, having masons ignore local stockpiles to run down 80 floors to get the freshly mined granite to make a table, that is dumb.

There should be a mining designation to not leave junk stone. Noobs do it by default, just add second mining designation that cracks non-economic non-ore stones. Use one for quarries, use the other for stockpiles. Toady mentioned rock crushers, but that just adds more FPS hits and doesn't do anything an atom smasher can't handle now, with less fuss and more utility.

Also, why will embark setups save cross-fort, but uniforms won't?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2011, 03:20:26 pm »

You should be able to do this by adjusting the settings for each of the workshops to limit who can use them. So only your bonecarver(s) can use the shop near the military industrial complex, and only the stonecrafters can use the one near the export area.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2011, 05:26:41 pm »

My Top Five:

5) Lack of control over some aspects of production, as others already said. I'd like to be able to decide which item to decorate, or to make a spore tree bed, or which components are used for a traction bench, without tedious forbidding and reclaiming. Also I'd like to be able to control which war animal goes to whom, so Urist McGreenrecruit doesn't hog the war bears.

4) Nobles going insane and subsequently dying just because some other dwarf has a nice (though not as nice as the nobles') room. Just found out about that today. It's fine that they get pissy, but dooming themselves without warning and without a way to save them annoys me.

3) Painstakingly having to design certain digs square by square because the miners will wreck the fort in a cave-in otherwise.

2) Little control over the military. If I say move there, I MEAN there. Not on the z-level above or below, not a dozen steps outside the room, not on the wrong side of the wall/fortifications. When I say kill that freaking master lasher/archer, ignore his harmless goons even if they are in the way and kill that leader first. When I say move, move, even if you're engaged in combat. When I say patrol this route in a group of five, stick together and don't trickle along the route one by one. And I really wish there was a "hold position" order, too.

1) The abysmally low priority on healthcare jobs. If three dozen dwarves would rather sit idle for a full season than recover a soldier with a broken leg, I fly into a rage. If it takes weeks for the chief medical dwarf to diagnose a patient, and even longer for the other doctors to start fixing things although the whole medical team has no other jobs activated, and the poor sod of a patient has multiple infections from untreated wounds by then and dies, I want to throw all the doctors at the next siege. Naked.

#1 and #2 are a bit of a toss-up and depend on which issue annoyed me the most recently.  ::)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

2) Little control over the military. If I say move there, I MEAN there. Not on the z-level above or below, not a dozen steps outside the room, not on the wrong side of the wall/fortifications. When I say kill that freaking master lasher/archer, ignore his harmless goons even if they are in the way and kill that leader first. When I say move, move, even if you're engaged in combat. When I say patrol this route in a group of five, stick together and don't trickle along the route one by one. And I really wish there was a "hold position" order, too.
Oh god I agree with you so.

When I say defend the entrance from behind hundreds of traps, I MEAN IT.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

When sieges and caravans match up exactly. I now sieges and ambushes usually arrive with caravans but when they only come when caravans do then kill the idiot traders before i can get rid of my ceramic trinkets and then for the rest of the year ive got nothing to fight.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5