Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Most annoying thing?  (Read 4172 times)

DryBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying thing?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »

Rhesus Maques and other thieveing animals that steal my coke after I first embark. I don't know why they go for the fuel, but they disappear with it and keep me from smelting my copper! RAEG!

Critters love that pure columbian snow.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

Rhesus Maques and other thieveing animals that steal my coke after I first embark. I don't know why they go for the fuel, but they disappear with it and keep me from smelting my copper! RAEG!

Critters love that Columbian-Venezuelan snow.
Fixed.
:3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »

The worst problem I have is the game's constant crashing, with no cause in sight, besides some slim-as-hell possibility the game randomly increases it's RAM/CPU needs by 50% to well above my computer's limits. it just decides to shit itself and die, meaning I either waste time doing the same things repeatedly or I waste time waiting for the game to save and then load every time I've done anything useful just so I don't HAVE to do it again. Furious!
That didn't happen during the last version of 40D I played (40d16); the last time I had to deal with this, before 31.01, was when I first started playing. I don't remember what version that was, but it wasn't too terribly long before 40D.

The next worst thing I have to deal with is... god, that makes everything else look like child's play... Dwarven intelligence? It does annoy me that they defy logic at every opportunity, even when I've done everything imaginable to achieve the desired outcome.
I guess one thing that bothers me still is all the bugs and incompleteness with adventure mode. Towns have infinitely respawning residents, castles and forts are empty, other races don't have sites, etc... I still wish I could create and edit sites for modded civilizations, making them unique...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 01:19:59 pm »

The worst problem I have is the game's constant crashing, with no cause in sight, besides some slim-as-hell possibility the game randomly increases it's RAM/CPU needs by 50% to well above my computer's limits. it just decides to shit itself and die, meaning I either waste time doing the same things repeatedly or I waste time waiting for the game to save and then load every time I've done anything useful just so I don't HAVE to do it again. Furious!
That didn't happen during the last version of 40D I played (40d16); the last time I had to deal with this, before 31.01, was when I first started playing. I don't remember what version that was, but it wasn't too terribly long before 40D.

The next worst thing I have to deal with is... god, that makes everything else look like child's play... Dwarven intelligence? It does annoy me that they defy logic at every opportunity, even when I've done everything imaginable to achieve the desired outcome.
I guess one thing that bothers me still is all the bugs and incompleteness with adventure mode. Towns have infinitely respawning residents, castles and forts are empty, other races don't have sites, etc... I still wish I could create and edit sites for modded civilizations, making them unique...
Amen to that, my bearded brother!

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:44 pm »

The hotkeys could be changed from [b ] [d] [t] [v] [k] etc. to [B ] [D] [T] [V] [K] and those keys reserved for opening those interfaces, from the general mode, or from within another mode. Some people say the game should be given a mouse-oriented interface, but I like the keyboard interface. It is just that there are some obvious available improvements.

It wouldn't have to be only one or the other.  There are lots of keyboard hot-keys in regular Windows app interfaces.  There's not much reason that large chunks of the existing keyboard interface could survive while also allowing things like context-sensitive menus -- right-click on Urist McDwarf and have access to basically anything I might want to do with THAT dwarf...learn about him, nickname him, adjust labors, enlist him in the military, and on and on -- for people who like the mouse.

The game, it would seem, would benefit from a bit of controlled "opening."  It seems obvious to me that if the people responsible for Dwarf Therapist and Stonesense were given a little more access, they could offer some very interesting, much more modern alternatives to the current interface that a lot of people would like.
Randy...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »

The inevitable FPS death.

Above all else.

I can handle anything else, because everything else is under my control to a certain degree, in that each particular type of disaster can be staved off with careful micromanagement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »

Above all else.

++

~4th year, 200 dorfs and 100 fps (capped), then BAM! 50 fps. Every damn time ><

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

Above all else.

++

You can usually prolong it a bit longer if you turn off temperature and weather, set your pop limit at 140(if you want a king/queen) or 80 and dam any rivers flowing off the edge of the map.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 05:55:58 pm »

Above all else.

++

You can usually prolong it a bit longer if you turn off temperature and weather, set your pop limit at 140(if you want a king/queen) or 80 and dam any rivers flowing off the edge of the map.

Buy a new computer? My "Easy" save (Mirthful) has 200 or so dwarves, and I'm on year 7. Or 6. I still maintain a steady 400/150 FPS.

Most annoying thing? Building. I hate how it auto-selects the closest item. I try and make a granite wall, yet it auto chooses bauxite. Repeat repeat repeat repeat GAAAAH

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 06:06:05 pm »

Most annoying thing? Building. I hate how it auto-selects the closest item. I try and make a granite wall, yet it auto chooses bauxite. Repeat repeat repeat repeat GAAAAH
Don't hit enter twice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:35:30 pm »

Dwarves 'building themselves in' to a place, either by trapping themselves with walls, or removing floors in such a way that they are trapped, that can be frustrating.

FPS deaths for sure, its like the sword of Damacles just hanging up there, and you know that (unless you've taken extreme measures to avoid it) its going to show up sooner or later.

Dwarf job interface hell.. Seriously I imagine a huge percentage of the playerbase uses dwarf therapist, and a large percentage of those probably 'cannot play' DF without it (or rather they can, but it would be frustratingly slow).  Most of DF's interface I don't have major issues with (sure it could be better but once you learn it its ok) but the assignments bit (once you get a large amount of dwarves) can be very frustrating.  Fortunately its only really a major issue after releases while you wait for DT to be updated.

Having the 'warm stone/damp stone' warnings when you are digging above magma/water.  I know you can disable this but then you don't get the 'same level' warnings which I want.

-MB

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »

Not in fortress mode, but Bogeymen.
SO. CHEAP.
Ridiculously so.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »

Poorly guarded caravans that arrive at my fortress and promptly get themselves killed because I'm attending to more important things than making sure their boxes of pig-tail fiber cloth and rat weed make it to the trade depot. Forget building a military or mining the deeps - it seems all I do these days is shuffle elf corpses between the refuse heap and the quantum garbage pile.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »

Dwarves 'building themselves in' to a place, either by trapping themselves with walls, or removing floors in such a way that they are trapped, that can be frustrating.
<snip>
I actually don't mind this. One of my favorite stories in a fort of mine happened entirely because of this. I place this on the same level of inaccurate water mechanics - sure it's not ideal but fun things come out of it.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 08:03:25 am »

FPS death.

Warm/damp stone pauses.

And byt the way, what is it exactly that makes Therapist so impossible to live without for so many people? All I use it for is checking skill and happiness levels. Everything else seems easier to do through the game itself.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5