Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Most annoying thing?  (Read 4169 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Most annoying thing?
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:44 am »

What do you find most annoying in Dwarf Fortress?

After fall of the second year, migrants bug the HFS out of me. I don't use any mods like Therapist, so it's a pain in the ass to tell Urist McLegendarySmith to do smithing
 >:(

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:16:29 am »

When my legendary weaponsmith that I need to be making trap components for trade (Seriously, around 6K for ONE large disk, MADE OF IRON) and reinforcing my traps, before the next siege, and then he stores an item or three in a barrel...then goes to sleep...then takes a drink....then eats....then goes to a party...and then goes on break for the rest of the season...
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:22:48 am »

When my legendary weaponsmith that I need to be making trap components for trade (Seriously, around 6K for ONE large disk, MADE OF IRON) and reinforcing my traps, before the next siege, and then he stores an item or three in a barrel...then goes to sleep...then takes a drink....then eats....then goes to a party...and then goes on break for the rest of the season...
Partying counts as work, which is bad for the overseer.  :P

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:03 am »

Far and away ghosts are the most annoying. They're tacky, they come from an infinite supply of migrants, they "live" forever, requiring coffins and cluttering up the fortress. You can't even disable them, like you can practically anything else in dwarf fortress.

Most superstitions in DF are very well integrated - legendary objects, strange moods, procedural gods with no known effects, magical dwarven water reactors, and so forth. Ghosts though... they're like monkeys on my back.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:39:07 am »

Far and away ghosts are the most annoying. They're tacky, they come from an infinite supply of migrants, they "live" forever, requiring coffins and cluttering up the fortress. You can't even disable them, like you can practically anything else in dwarf fortress.

Most superstitions in DF are very well integrated - legendary objects, strange moods, procedural gods with no known effects, magical dwarven water reactors, and so forth. Ghosts though... they're like monkeys on my back.
I think cremation (Magma :3) should be implemented. Magma is the solution to everything!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:58 am »

Dorfs that insist on causing cave-ins when told to remove a hanging floor. Also, dorfs who stand on floors being removed, while removing the floor beneath someone else. I mean seriously, how the fenrisulfr is such a mindblowing level of stupidity even attainable by anything? I know dorfs aren't supposed to be the brightest of lights, but goodness me!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:08 am »

After fall of the second year, migrants bug the HFS out of me. I don't use any mods like Therapist, so it's a pain in the ass to tell Urist McLegendarySmith to do smithing

Just use the workshop profile, set it so that only dwarves above X skill can use it, or individually specify which dwarves can use the workshop.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:07 am »

They're tacky, they come from an infinite supply of migrants,
Alter the pop cap to a dozen or so under what you really want, then you'll have roughly the right number.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:06:36 am »

The inevitable FPS death.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:13 am »

Early Migrants, thats the biggest thing that annoys me. I often get waves of 10-12 during the first summer before the caravan arrives, and a second wave of 5-10 with the caravan, putting my population up to 20-30 before the end of the first year ( I recently started playing again, and the last time i played you almost never got migrants the first year (sometimes in winter if you had a really, really high wealth and the mountainhomes were close)). I usually don't even have farms dug out by the end of the first year which leads me to turn all of the migrants into herbalists (or killing them if its a desert map with no water for them to fish). Why would the mountain homes send enough people to triple the population of a fortress its first year, that seems like a death sentance.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:40 am »

Just use the workshop profile, set it so that only dwarves above X skill can use it, or individually specify which dwarves can use the workshop.
I mean I have to turn smithing labors on for every damn smith. It's a pain in the ass when I have a trader, and a likely ambush coming in
 ::)

yacheritsi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:40 am »

Lack of cursor persistence. eg:

1) Hit [k].
2) Move somewhere to look at something.
3) Hit [Esc].
4) Hit [t].
5) Move back to the same place to look at the same thing again. And again. And again.

And the related:
1) [b ] [C] [w]
"Blocked"
2) [Esc] [d] [Enter]
"Needs Door"
3) [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] Bah!

The hotkeys could be changed from [b ] [d] [t] [v] [k] etc. to [B ] [D] [T] [V] [K] and those keys reserved for opening those interfaces, from the general mode, or from within another mode. Some people say the game should be given a mouse-oriented interface, but I like the keyboard interface. It is just that there are some obvious available improvements. Such as... the many ways in which you can lose your context in the military screen:

1) [m] [ right] [down] (Now you're on the second guy in the first squad.)
2) [e] (Now you're back on the first guy. Gah!)

CerealGuns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

Trying to build a floor in order to use up excess stone only to have construction suspended on half the tiles because the stone is in the way.  This drives me crazy.
Wielder of Mothtundra
Slayer of Ostrur the Acrid Abyssal Nettles
Duke of Channelravens

DryBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »

I personally dislike the damp wall warnings canceling my designations over and over again so that I have to hold my miners' hands through what should be a simple excavation. Coming in a close second would be the badgers, giant badgers, honey badgers, and badger men.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

Rhesus Maques and other thieveing animals that steal my coke after I first embark. I don't know why they go for the fuel, but they disappear with it and keep me from smelting my copper! RAEG!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5