Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Most annoying thing?  (Read 4143 times)

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying thing?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:52 am »

What do you find most annoying in Dwarf Fortress?

After fall of the second year, migrants bug the HFS out of me. I don't use any mods like Therapist, so it's a pain in the ass to tell Urist McLegendarySmith to do smithing
 >:(

1) Download Therapist or LNP.
2) ????
3) Profit!

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 08:49:03 am »

Just got a new annoying thing....when Im trying to make a fairly fancy wall to block off access to my little corner of the world from the HORDES OF BADGERS THAT LOVE FOREST BIOMES! And then my usele- "Valuable masons" spend all their time getting stuck due to being too stupid to build floors first...then block off their only escape with walls...really slows construction down..and its annoying when its my only weaver doing it. (I do a lot of early cloth industry.) Or worse, my actual SKILLED mason.  >:(
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:25 am »

And byt the way, what is it exactly that makes Therapist so impossible to live without for so many people? All I use it for is checking skill and happiness levels. Everything else seems easier to do through the game itself.

When 20 migrants turn up in a single wave in the middle of a construction project. Therapist means you can sort them out all at once, as well as quickly spotting any missed professions rather than waiting for them all to trickle into the map and then fussing through the huge list of skills, enabling and disabling related professions.

ETA: Most annoying thing? Whether it's a seed, a cabinet, or an elephant in a cage, Dwarves can only move one thing at a time. Seeds in particular are frustrating.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:30:00 am by xmakina »
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 09:52:43 am »

ETA: Most annoying thing? Whether it's a seed, a cabinet, or an elephant in a cage, Dwarves can only move one thing at a time. Seeds in particular are frustrating.

This. You have two hands, grab more than one if the object is small enough! And Legendary Urist McSuperSmith with his muscles should be able to carry at LEAST two stones/stone blocks.

fallofthechosen

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAGMA_BATH: ENCOURAGED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:57 am »

And byt the way, what is it exactly that makes Therapist so impossible to live without for so many people? All I use it for is checking skill and happiness levels. Everything else seems easier to do through the game itself.

When 20 migrants turn up in a single wave in the middle of a construction project. Therapist means you can sort them out all at once, as well as quickly spotting any missed professions rather than waiting for them all to trickle into the map and then fussing through the huge list of skills, enabling and disabling related professions.

This. You have two hands, grab more than one if the object is small enough! And Legendary Urist McSuperSmith with his muscles should be able to carry at LEAST two stones/stone blocks.

Funny, I never even considered moving multiple seeds at once. A seed is 1 item, so you carry one item. Guess I am really thinking like a dwarf.

I am a little scared now though that the next time I go to the fridge to get a beer, I won't realize I am on fire and explode my house.

My most annoying has been stated multiple times already, cancelling the dig designation for wet/warm walls. Pausing the game for
that is fine, but I hate having to redesignate half my upper layer of my fortress because it runs under murky pools that I am not
breaking in to.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:20 am »

Or a pile. I hate that, there is a pile of seeds, and he only picks up one at a time  ::)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

Well, it is acceptable if the dorf is carrying a cageful of dragons, bronze colossi or something of the like.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:43 am »

Well, it is acceptable if the dorf is carrying a cageful of dragons, bronze colossi or something of the like.
Yes.

There should be a weight/size thing saying how much you can carry of one item.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »

Poorly guarded caravans that arrive at my fortress and promptly get themselves killed
And lone liaisons that turn up a hundred tiles away from any of their allies.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

Announcements for fairly mundane things (births, warm/damp stone) causing the screen to jump to that location. number of times i've been mid designating for mining or laying out walls to land up jumping multiple z-levels to find out Urist McBabyMaker has had a boy/girl.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »

You can do something about that. If you go into data/init/announcements.txt, you can set how the game reports a huge number of things.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »

******* miners who dont see the rock above them as they mine out the support for the aquifer breaching.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:42 pm »

I don't "hate" slow FPS death, I hate the fact that for some reason, DF only uses 50% of my CPU. THAT is what I hate.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:10 pm »

Lack of cursor persistence. eg:

1) Hit [k].
2) Move somewhere to look at something.
3) Hit [Esc].
4) Hit [t].
5) Move back to the same place to look at the same thing again. And again. And again.

And the related:
1) [b ] [C] [w]
"Blocked"
2) [Esc] [d] [Enter]
"Needs Door"
3) [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] [Enter] Bah!

The hotkeys could be changed from [b ] [d] [t] [v] [k] etc. to [B ] [D] [T] [V] [K] and those keys reserved for opening those interfaces, from the general mode, or from within another mode. Some people say the game should be given a mouse-oriented interface, but I like the keyboard interface. It is just that there are some obvious available improvements. Such as... the many ways in which you can lose your context in the military screen:

1) [m] [ right] [down] (Now you're on the second guy in the first squad.)
2) [e] (Now you're back on the first guy. Gah!)
ad cursor - it is terrible
ad hotkeys - you can change it
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 03:54:01 pm »

I'm pretty much accustomed to all the little niggles now.  Even FPS death doesn't wind me up much these days, because I make small forts with little excess stuff to slow things down.

Weirdly, the thing that has been annoying me most recently is pit interface.  When you have 26 goblins/dogs/sheep/grizzly bears, working out which one to pit is impossible.  And this drives me up the wall.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5