Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: IDEA - Unofficial Code of Conduct (aka The 1776 Thread)  (Read 6174 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: IDEA - Unofficial Code of Conduct (aka The 1776 Thread)
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:08 pm »

I think this is a reasonably good idea.  I also think that reporting spammers would help.  I feel that we're doing better about reporting trolls, but the spammers are going under the radar--and they, too, break the official forum rules, and furthermore there's not that many of them.

But whatever.  It's just an idea.
The more I think about it the more I feel this is the best solution. Spam posts happen because people feel uncomfortable with reporting them so it gets to the point where they're considered acceptable. But that just leads to huge blowups like the one we just experienced which is worse than being a little too aggressive in your reporting. Besides, I trust Toady to make impartial judgments on what is and what isn't disruptive and on what has or hasn't gone too far. The worst thing that could happen is that he does nothing, because I seriously doubt he (or even many of us) would be down for eradicating all silliness.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:32 pm »

The more I think about it the more I feel this is the best solution. Spam posts happen because people feel uncomfortable with reporting them so it gets to the point where they're considered acceptable. But that just leads to huge blowups like the one we just experienced which is worse than being a little too aggressive in your reporting. Besides, I trust Toady to make impartial judgments on what is and what isn't disruptive and on what has or hasn't gone too far. The worst thing that could happen is that he does nothing, because I seriously doubt he (or even many of us) would be down for eradicating all silliness.
Unfortunately there have been certain things Toady has done which have discouraged some people from using the report button.  Such as telling the second person to click it off because he only needs one report (like they knew it had been hit already), and reacting badly when people from the IRC community report anything (see also: the accusations of dogpiling).
Apparently the report button is only for people who have never disagreed with Toady and aren't friends with Retro or Dasleah.  Or something.

It would be nice if we could all use the report button more, though.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2011, 05:34:39 pm »

Unfortunately there have been certain things Toady has done which have discouraged some people from using the report button.  Such as telling the second person to click it off because he only needs one report (like they knew it had been hit already), and reacting badly when people from the IRC community report anything (see also: the accusations of dogpiling).
Apparently the report button is only for people who have never disagreed with Toady and aren't friends with Retro or Dasleah.  Or something.

It would be nice if we could all use the report button more, though.

Maybe you should take your issues up with Toady instead of here.

Because it doesn't seem like your issues are really community-related issues at all.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2011, 05:35:30 pm »

I've never seen those, but I have seen Toady encourage people to use the report button more often in almost every one of his moderator actions. But even if he is against second clicks, I think it's obvious that a small annoyance like that is much more preferable than a huge multi-thread blowup.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »

That's, uh...Wow.

Maybe you should take your issues up with Toady instead of here.

Because it doesn't seem like your issues are really community-related issues at all.
Those issues have been taken up with Toady, and they are issues of others besides me; I was only reporting things that have been said by others in other threads.  Whether you like it or not, it is well-attested that Toady did do those things.  Frankly I am inclined to agree with the argument that Toady should not be trying to moderate these huge forums all by himself.

But that's kinda off-topic so can we not have the whole argument all over again in this thread please.

Also in that last post my tone may have strayed into slight bitchiness.  It just irks me slightly that so many people have total faith in Toady always to be able to get everything right.  Sure, he's great at the things he's good at.  He may even be a really nice guy.  But he's not infallible, and he's not good at everything.  He also doesn't have infinite time to spend moderating this place.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2011, 05:46:11 pm »

I never said he was infallible. But he is an impartial observer so I think his judgment on what constitutes spamming would be better than anyone here's. Including my own.

Anyway, we don't really know how Toady would handle this because we haven't really tried. I say it's at least worth a shot before we start discussing adding more moderators (something we have minimal if any influence on anyway).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:48:01 pm by fqllve »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]