Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hell embark  (Read 3736 times)

crazysam97

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hell embark
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:26 am »

I've been playing dwarf fortress for a couple of weeks, and I've found that I always play better near rivers. So this morning I chose to embark right by a river. When it loaded, there was a huge chasm in the middle of the river (It is a major river) and I got a message saying "Horrifying screams come from the darkness below". I went down all the way to the bottom, and the river was emptying into the magma sea, and all the way down into hell. At the end of the map is a tower of slade that goes up to level 11. Currently, about a quarter of the magma sea has turned into obsidian, and hell is slowly flooding. What should I do with this fortress, because I doubt this is ever going to happen again

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hell embark
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:37:15 am »

Had the same situation with a volcano emptying into hell; Due to the huge FPS drop that I was facing (30 fps on a recent embark), I had to abandon. Still, some people may want your save/worldgen for experiments.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:03:41 am »

You obviously have to provide a worldgen parameters and screenshot of its location on the world map. This place has... potential.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:35:55 am »

Oh man, that is so fucking cool.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:59:34 am »

I discovered that if you use Just Embark on an all-ocean square you actually start IN hell ! This would make a great succession game "Escape from Hell"

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:19 am »

I discovered that if you use Just Embark on an all-ocean square you actually start IN hell ! This would make a great succession game "Escape from Hell"
Do you mean Embark Anywhere ? I tried three times, first I got a message about donkey falling into chasm and then "your fortress has crumbled to its end", second was on top of ice, third one crashed after few minutes of loading. Maybe you could provide the worldgen with the location of your embark ?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:46 am »

Do you mean Embark Anywhere ? I tried three times, first I got a message about donkey falling into chasm and then "your fortress has crumbled to its end", second was on top of ice, third one crashed after few minutes of loading. Maybe you could provide the worldgen with the location of your embark ?
A lot of people had a lot of trouble finding Embark Anywhere, so now there's a similar one called Just Embark.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

After a little more testing I got this Just Embark tool, but my brave dwarves keep on falling into chasm in the upper-left corner of the map. Probably they can't just spawn. Not a single successful embark in 10 tries and 3 worlds.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:22:39 am »

After a little more testing I got this Just Embark tool, but my brave dwarves keep on falling into chasm in the upper-left corner of the map. Probably they can't just spawn. Not a single successful embark in 10 tries and 3 worlds.
Multidimensional bearded booze bags in hell, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:51 am »

Still, some people may want your save/worldgen for experiments.

This. Please upload the save somewhere. Or at least take copious screenshots.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:06:26 am »

Still, some people may want your save/worldgen for experiments.

This. Please upload the save somewhere. Or at least take copious screenshots.
Indeed.

We want to watch the show experiment! :3

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:10 am »

Embarking in Hell - Observations
========================

Coordinates - 0,0,0 (Top Left, lowest z-level of map)

Issues - Must use reveal to see anything, there's usually an eerie glowing pit beneath feet, dwarves and pets spawn. WAGON AND EQUIPMENT DOES NOT.

Tools - Just_Embark, DFHack DFReveal, Gibbed's Tweak

Wordaround - used Tweak to hack 3x3 floor in top left under dwarves, then reclaim. Now, you actually have your wagon.

New issues - you can't dig in hell, there's no water for irrigation or drinking, you could bring a pile of rock and wood, but there's no water source that far down. Could bring chickens and dogs for food, but cannot farm crops.

If only spilling beer made mud.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:29:57 am by Reelyanoob »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:14 am »

sounds great so far.
you might embark with enough stone and booze to build to the roof and then mine to caverns through an adamantine spire

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:16:18 am »

Embarking in Hell - Observations
========================

Coordinates - 0,0,0 (Top Left, lowest z-level of map)

Issues - Must use reveal to see anything, there's usually an eerie glowing pit beneath feet, dwarves and pets spawn. WAGON AND EQUIPMENT DOES NOT.

Tools - Just_Embark, DFHack DFReveal, Gibbed's Tweak

Wordaround - used Tweak to hack 3x3 floor in top left under dwarves, then reclaim. Now, you actually have your wagon.

New issues - you can't dig in hell, there's no water for irrigation or drinking, you could bring a pile of rock and wood, but there's no water source that far down. Could bring chickens and dogs for food, but cannot farm crops.

If only spilling beer made mud.
You could use DFhack (I think that's the one) and use the tool in there to drop water. Then you get farmland ^_^

You can also drop magma and water in the same tile, so you get obsidian! After that, you can build up, out of Hell!

How romantic.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 11:14:16 am »

"A human caravan has arrived!"

Urist McBroker: "Hey, wait! How did you get here?"
Olith McTrader: "We... How did YOU get here?"
Urist McBroker: "I..."
Urist McMiner: "Wrong spot! WRONG SPOT! MAGMA HERE!"
Olith McTrader: "We'll be going now..."

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: [1] 2