Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One of my soldiers faced an obscene amount of FUN today.  (Read 1809 times)

BrunomasterX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
One of my soldiers faced an obscene amount of FUN today.
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:32:22 am »

First fortress and it's going strong, population of 110. Nothing too serious has happened, and I'd even driven away a goblin siege without incident. Which pissed them off. They came back with their general and a swordmaster, along with some trolls and 20 or so crossbowmen. About 35 invaders overall. Stationing my 12 strong military at the front gate, hoping desperately that they'd buy enough time to raise the bridge... And they did. Siege still going on, but they can't get in, though their bolts keep peppering my front door. However, the remarkable part of it was one of my soldiers, who singlehandedly delayed the horde long enough to let the lever be pulled. You think I'm talking heroics now, don't you? No. Nowhere near good enough for that. This poor dwarf delayed them solely though the strength of her armor, and the toughness of her hide. The log of her death spanned sixty-six pages, without her managing to launch a single attack after the first five. Sixty-six pages of strikes banging off her armor, or dealing painful, but not life threatening, blows. I salute you, Urdim Tishakkeskal. You saved the fortress with your horrible, messy demise.

And yes, I know none of this is impressive. >_>...

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: One of my soldiers faced an obscene amount of FUN today.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:33:58 am »

Well, but it's things like these that make the game so enjoyable. I salute her as well, and i say she deserves to be buried in a special funerary chamber in a sarcophagus made of her favorite metal at least.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:39:51 am »

But how will they get her body once he's flooded the siege out with magma?  Beautiful statue garden with memorial slab, that's the way to go
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:37:13 am »

Nah, man, let her ghost haunt your fortress.

Then she'll start partying and awesome shit will go down.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:55:19 am »

There are more ways to become a hero than to kill.
Build her a tomb.

DryBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:39 am »

However you commemorate her heroics, it should involve copious amounts of magma.

BrunomasterX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any magma yet >_>...

Managed to dig down to a layer of semi-molten rock, but no magma!

But yeah, once the siege is lifted she's getting a hero's burial.

As a side note, the goblin general (a pikemaster) is sitting in a cage in front of my drawbridge. Perhaps I'll make him be the tombkeeper >_>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:48:41 am by BrunomasterX »

CerealGuns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:33 am »

Well, but it's things like these that make the game so enjoyable. I salute her as well, and i say she deserves to be buried in a special funerary chamber in a sarcophagus made of her favorite metal at least.

I built a fancy tomb for my top soldier who recently died.  Unfortunately now my duke is constantly tantruming because a commoner has such a fancy tomb.  I'm not getting rid of it though.  If he doesn't learn to live with it I might have to give him a magma bath.
Wielder of Mothtundra
Slayer of Ostrur the Acrid Abyssal Nettles
Duke of Channelravens

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:52 am »

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any magma yet >_>...

Managed to dig down to a layer of semi-molten rock, but no magma!

But yeah, once the siege is lifted she's getting a hero's burial.

As a side note, the goblin general (a pikemaster) is sitting in a cage in front of my drawbridge. Perhaps I'll make him be the tombkeeper >_>
Stick him in a 1x1 pit that has a window to the outside. May all traders and goblins fear our wrath!

You don't have to feed goblins either!

Also, I think goblins stop attacking you if you have one of their leaders captive.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:27 am »

Build the tomb then after the body is placed in the sarcophagus, wall it off.  Dig a pit over it and pit him into the tomb.  The floor over the pit.

Also, I think goblins stop attacking you if you have one of their leaders captive.

If the goblin leader's title is simply "Master" then you have caught the leader of the nearby goblin civilization.  If he was a pikemaster or elite bowgoblin or something like that, then you just caught a general and you will continue to get sieges.  When you capture the Master, then it seems like all you'll get anymore are sad little ambushes of half a dozen or so goblins, easily repelled.

Releasing the master doesn't help.  Once he's been captured he apparently can't return to lead his civilization.  Your only options for Fun at this point are to piss off the elves or humans or to Dig Too Deep.

I've caught the Master twice now.  The first time I put her in a glass room in the middle of the meeting area, furnished with all masterwork furniture...

...and made it a danger room. 

She was a warning to all my nobles, "I can knock this wall down any time I want, so no stupid demands."

This time he's just in a normal cage in the meeting area.  The dorfs seem to love him because they are constantly throwing parties at his cage.  Just for fun I stuck a tamed squirrel, frog and rat in the cage with him. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:41:41 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:00 am »

Sixty six you say?! That reminds me of another epic dwarf... She granted my fort extra 2 years by getting trashed to death by distracting the attackers... I kept her log...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:56:39 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

BrunomasterX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »

Well, I finally gave her a worthy entombment. As my military was shot, and a second seige wrecked what was left, I decided to give her the most hardcore funeral possible. I struck the earth in the middle of the magma sea, opened the way to the carnival, and dropped her in. Her pallbearers were the clowns, and they made sure the rest of my fortress mourned properly.

Then I tried making a second fortress, the wagon spawned in a river and everything washed away. What the hell?

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:48 am »

Then I tried making a second fortress, the wagon spawned in a river and everything washed away. What the hell?

The ghost of Urdim Tishakkeskal's first strike!
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:44:07 am »

OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK MY LORD FUCK SHIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:54:06 am »

Sixty six you say?! That reminds me of another epic dwarf... She granted my fort extra 2 years by getting trashed to death by distracting the attackers... I kept her log...
She has a billion and one wounds but all she's missing is 3 teeth. I love it.
Pages: [1] 2