Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!  (Read 15351 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

Be really cool if there were 2 of them and they interacted like they do in Portal.

Don't shoot, it's me!
Coming through!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

Given that they gave all the instructions necessary to build one I don't see what's stopping you guys from doing one in metal.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »

Given that they gave all the instructions necessary to build one I don't see what's stopping you guys from doing one in metal.

Cost and difficulty, mainly. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make metal sheets of the required shape? Go ahead, try taking a piece of metal and making it the oval turret shape.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:11 pm »

Cost and difficulty, mainly. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make metal sheets of the required shape? Go ahead, try taking a piece of metal and making it the oval turret shape.
I would ask you about plastic, but molds are expensive too, aren't they?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »

If you get a softer plastic, you can heat it up with a heatgun and use a metal bowl as a mold; getting fairly close.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »

Oh I wouldn't do that. Plastics tend to release fumes when heated up to melting point. I don't want a turret badly enough to breathe that stuff.
A better way would be to buy a slab of plastic and just carve the thing out of it, then smooth the surface and spray-paint it to give it that wonderful glossy surface. But with the clean, sleek design of the turrets, I don't think you can make the shape precise enough by hand for the finished product to not look like a potato standing on some matchsticks stuck into it. You might be able to have the required shape made in plastic or metal using professional machinery, but then we run into the issue of cost, since custom one-offs like that tend to be pretty damn expensive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:15 pm »

Oh I wouldn't do that. Plastics tend to release fumes when heated up to melting point. I don't want a turret badly enough to breathe that stuff.

Oh no, not melt it to a liquid state, just make it pliable.  Your dishwasher can do it to those cheap plastic cups (along with other things made of the right kind of plastic) and they'll permanently deform.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »

I'd bet the turrets in Portal 2 aren't made of metal anyway.

1. Cave Johnson is too cheap
2. They aren't heavy enough to depress a 1500 Megawatt Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »

Could be made from aluminum.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »

Knowing aperture science, it's probably some ridiculous material made by grinding together mars rocks and kitten bones into a paste mixed with kevlar and then hardened under the light of a billion suns.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2011, 11:05:27 pm »

Knowing aperture science, it's probably some ridiculous material made by grinding together mars rocks and kitten bones into a paste mixed with kevlar and then hardened under the light of a billion suns.

Which is then used to make the boxes for shipping in the aluminum.

Turret smoke! Don't breathe this!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »

The scary thing is that that is totally plausible, given the wacky shit Aperture Laboratories has done.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2011, 03:45:46 pm »

Turret smoke! Don't breathe this!

Hah! Turrets will totally blend. :D
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]