Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!  (Read 15372 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »

Where did you get that number from?
At the beginning he says you've been in stasis for 99999 days or something, which is like 270+ years

He says, "9,999,999" with no indication for how long each of those units are.  If we assume "days" then it's 27,000 years.  Clear indication that the announcer is broken.
(270 years would be 99,999 days)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

Eh, I thought he only said it 5 times.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »

The announcer could simply be suffering from the the Y2k38 problem. He registered a valid date for her going into stasis but now she's come out a century before she went in.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »

The announcer could simply be suffering from the the Y2k38 problem. He registered a valid date for her going into stasis but now she's come out a century before she went in.

That's what happens when you use a signed integer for dates.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »

Didn't Wheatly say it was about 300 years after?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2011, 04:45:22 pm »

Didn't Wheatly say it was about 300 years after?

Didn't Valve say it was 100 after the events of Half Life?

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

Hello test subjects, look at your computer, now back to me, now back to your computer, now back to me. Sadly it isn't me but if it stopped running generic FPS's and started running Portal 2 it could test like it's me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in a chamber designed by the computer your computer could test like. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a dispenser tube with that companion cube you love. Look again, the cube is now moon dust. Anything is possible when your computer runs Portal 2 and not a generic FPS.

I'm on a potato.

I award you this award for services to the greater internet community.
I might need it back in a short while, so don't put it away anywhere.
Yay! I won a picture of a trophy! That's almost like sort of winning a real trophy only not really!
Integer overflow's a hell of a drug.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2011, 05:26:37 pm »

Eh, didn't really like it that much. Puzzles were disappointing, mainly because they were composed mostly of inert scenery with very few portal-able walls. P1 forced you to think about puzzles and there was usually more than one solution. By contrast, P2's puzzles largely take place in environments that are almost bereft of portal-able walls and you spend the majority of the time scanning the place to find the one wall where you are actually able to place a portal. I often got stuck in P1 even though I had all the pieces, I just couldn't put them together right. In P2 that never happened, when I did get stuck it was because I simply overlooked the one bit of smooth wall that I was supposed to put a portal on next. And it was very easy to overlook walls in P2's much more varied and cluttered environments. About half the time you're not really thinking about what you're doing, you're just portaling to the only places you can portal to and the solution presents itself. I was also disappointed by the characterization of GLaDOS. In P1 she was wonderfully quirky and loopy, you really got a sense that she didn't have all her marbles. In P2 she's just a jerk.
On the plus side, P1 was woefully short and this is pretty much more of the same, even if it is just a sequel. Overall I'd say about as much goodness as P1, but spread out over a longer gamplay time with some bits that feel a bit like needless padding (especially the middle bit, where you're just going through test chambers with literally nothing happening other than some childish taunting at the start and end of each test). You get a reunion with an old friend and another fantastic song at the end.

which often require quick reflexes

Point to one level in Portal 2 that required quick reflexes.  Just one.

The end part when *spoiler* tries to crush you with spiked plates several times, for instance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:43:13 pm by Sordid »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »

Actually, if you just stand around waiting, and go through it a few times, it won't crush you until you are safe, or stand around for something like 5-10 seconds after making it possible to escape.

It only *seems* like you just made it.
Eh?
Eh!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »

also if you...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2011, 05:37:01 pm »

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2011, 05:38:26 pm »

Didn't know that, will have to try

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2011, 05:46:52 pm »

I was actually referring to the bit where you're on a moving platform and a crusher plate comes at you from the left. In my first few attempts I was distracted by the prattling and the crusher and simply didn't notice the bit of smooth wall that moved into view up ahead and subsequently grew very frustrated. See edited post above, the difference being that for the majority of the game the penalty for that is just being stuck, in this particular instance it's death after five seconds.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »

I just tried this haha. Thanks for the tip.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »

I was actually referring to the bit where you're on a moving platform and a crusher plate comes at you from the left. In my first few attempts I was distracted by the prattling and the crusher and simply didn't notice the bit of smooth wall that moved into view up ahead and subsequently grew very frustrated. See edited post above, the difference being that for the majority of the game the penalty for that is just being stuck, in this particular instance it's death after five seconds.

....Seriously?  You got onto the conveyor belt BEFORE locating an exit?

That's your own damn fault.

Wait, different part.  One I don't remember.  Crush plate from the left?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15