Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!  (Read 15426 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

Portal 2 also includes co-op, which (as far as I have heard, I haven't actually finished the co-op yet) is twice as long as the single player.
Near as I can tell, there's only three chapters, each with approximately 9 puzzles.
If that's twice as long as the singleplayer, oh my god what.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2011, 04:28:18 pm »

Quote from: Achievement
Asking for Trouble
Taunt GLaDOS in front of a camera in each of the five co-op courses
There's 5 courses in coop.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »

Portal 2 also includes co-op, which (as far as I have heard, I haven't actually finished the co-op yet) is twice as long as the single player.
Near as I can tell, there's only three chapters, each with approximately 9 puzzles.
Not sure where you got those numbers. Are you just guessing?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2011, 04:31:04 pm »

Not sure where you got those numbers. Are you just guessing?
Okay, so the three is actually five, but the three courses I played were each about 9 puzzles long (8/9/9 iirc)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »

All of the coop courses are trivial.  Except course 5, which is medium-easy (not quite as hard as the hardest single player levels, but more difficult than most).

All of single player was easy except the between-levels (which varied) and the last couple (which were medium).

In every case you could get a good look at the level and think it out without having to fling yourself around.  There were no leap-of-faith moments where you had to fling yourself and go, "Ah ha, that's what I need to do" die, and redo.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »

All of the coop courses are trivial.  Except course 5, which is medium-easy (not quite as hard as the hardest single player levels, but more difficult than most).

All of single player was easy except the between-levels (which varied) and the last couple (which were medium).

In every case you could get a good look at the level and think it out without having to fling yourself around.  There were no leap-of-faith moments where you had to fling yourself and go, "Ah ha, that's what I need to do" die, and redo.
You must be more intelligent than me then.

I thought the puzzles were pretty good. Not, "I hate this stupid thing" like in some Professor Layton puzzles but generally very intelligent.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

Oh, they were well designed, sure.  But 75% of them are solvable on the first try, 75% of the remainder on the second.  And very few of those will kill you unless you do something stupid (like accidentally move a lightbridge so you're no longer standing on it and fall to your death).

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

I never understood the zomg this game is too easy crowd for ANY game. If it's still fun I don't give a rats ass if I'm being 'challenged'

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

I got stumped a couple of times, but that's because I was missing something glaringly obvious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's harder than the original, but not by much. Shame there are no advanced chambers. I would like to see some legit chambers made with a bunch of the new mechanics in mind.

And what the poster above said. It's not so much the challenge as it is the fun.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:13 pm »

What would be a good method of finding someone to play coop with?
Eh?
Eh!

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »

Asking people here I guess. I enjoyed coop enough that I'd go through it again so you can add me if you want. I'm just heading out now so I won't be able to play until later tonight though.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2011, 07:06:08 pm »

Oh, they were well designed, sure.  But 75% of them are solvable on the first try, 75% of the remainder on the second.  And very few of those will kill you unless you do something stupid (like accidentally move a lightbridge so you're no longer standing on it and fall to your death).

Given that quicksaves are free, and autosaves are abundant, dying isn't exactly a penalty either. Frankly, I saw the lack of death-based puzzles as a good thing - hauling yourself out of a pit takes about the same time as reloading, and fixing your mistake with portals is infinitely more fun than staring at a loading screen. So I wouldn't use the lack of death as 'reduced difficulty'.

Moreover, the argument that "75% of them are solvable on the first try" is also a good thing. Trial-and-error puzzle solving is bad. The fun of solving puzzles is staring at them until you realize, "Aha! That's how you do it!", and then proceed to solve the puzzle on the first try - the epiphany moment, if you will, that leads to you winning. "Flinging yourself around" until you figure out the solution by repeated mistakes is boring.  :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:26 pm »

What I mean is, many of the puzzles were obvious.  Like "3 portal-able surfaces" in the entire level obvious.

The only difficult ones in the coop was one that required a bit of fancy manuevering (the fling to grab a refraction cube and burn some turrets) and one where 90% of the level had portal-able surfaces.  It was hard simply because there were so many options.  When there's less white and more black the levels get easier to the point at which they might as well have labeled the walls where they want you to put the portals.

Edit:
In other news, I solved an early level without needing the refraction cube "required" to solve the level.  And no, I didn't no-clip.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2011, 07:57:21 pm »

Cube as a platform to better portal through the hole?

Also, yeah, they needed to be more flexible in allowing alternate solutions. Fun but not nearly challenging enough.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »

Cube as a platform to better portal through the hole?

Yup

Also, yeah, they needed to be more flexible in allowing alternate solutions. Fun but not nearly challenging enough.

Precisely!
Every level was short, each challenge was easy, all of them had one solution (or a second, if you worked really really hard at it).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15