Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!  (Read 15418 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »

*cough*Hammer editor*cough* Seriously, there are gonna be some very good mappacks, I mean, look at Portal 1, it had loads of mappacks (eg Portal:TFV, Blue Portals).

One thing bugs me though, I noticed a distinct lack of energy ball puzzles.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:02:59 am by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »

*cough*Hammer editor*cough* Seriously, there are gonna be some very good mappacks, I mean, look at Portal 1, it had loads of mappacks (eg [urlhttp://portalmaps.wecreatestuff.com/]Portal:TFV[/url], Blue Portals).

One thing bugs me though, I noticed a distinct lack of energy ball puzzles.

Energy Balls were more annoying than useful, they were effectively replaced by the lasers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »

Okay, I've just finished the singleplayer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really liked this game.

P.S. Now I've just realised that there are only three main characters acting in this game... And that's enough. I usually bitch about lack of characters in many adventure/plot-driven games, so it's awesome how they've managed to make just 3 of them to be such great that they take up all the space :).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:34:03 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:17 pm »

Also for the still alive achievement do you have to complete all 9 chambers in a row without dying? Because I did it with a friend where we managed each individual chamber without dying by going back and redoing those we'd died in but we didn't get the achievement.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »

Can anyone who's watched the dev comments tell me what the comment next to the
says? I miss timed my click and can't be bothered to go back and do the whole chapter again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:15:31 am by Omegastick »
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2011, 09:38:07 pm »

I've played about 20 hours in single-player, between the first 6 actually beating it (of which steam only recorded 1.3), and collecting achievements/watching the commentary/revisiting particularily good locations/continuing playing after accomplishing my original goal.

All that before even touching co-op, and certainly before getting to play with the dev tools.

$/hour, this next test chamber is.... looking preeety good.
Eh?
Eh!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2011, 01:52:39 am »

It might not need to be spoilered, but hey, might as well, since it does reference a spoiler-worthy object. Not like anybody on their first (pre-spoiler-reading) run-through would have answers about the developer commentary, anyways.  ;)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2011, 06:16:46 am »

It might not need to be spoilered, but hey, might as well, since it does reference a spoiler-worthy object. Not like anybody on their first (pre-spoiler-reading) run-through would have answers about the developer commentary, anyways.  ;)

Thanks!
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2011, 08:09:53 am »

Oh that's cool.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2011, 01:01:23 pm »

I don’t feel like I got my money’s worth. The problem with co-op is that I will undoubtedly end up playing with people who have already beaten the puzzles and that will sap the fun out of things.

That isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy the game, I had a fair amount of fun. But, based on the price difference, I was expecting 5 times the content of Portal 1 and ended up with only about 2 times (It took me about 4 hours to beat Portal 1, I remember because I skipped an evening class and played late).

Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean it is a good value. The best steaks I have ever had in my life where always way too much money per ounce of meat.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:46 pm »

I don’t feel like I got my money’s worth. The problem with co-op is that I will undoubtedly end up playing with people who have already beaten the puzzles and that will sap the fun out of things.

That isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy the game, I had a fair amount of fun. But, based on the price difference, I was expecting 5 times the content of Portal 1 and ended up with only about 2 times (It took me about 4 hours to beat Portal 1, I remember because I skipped an evening class and played late).

Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean it is a good value. The best steaks I have ever had in my life where always way too much money per ounce of meat.

I respectfully disagree. Are you saying that you would rather play a 100+ hour game that is completely mediocre than a five hour game that is brilliant?
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:19 pm »

I respectfully disagree. Are you saying that you would rather play a 100+ hour game that is completely mediocre than a five hour game that is brilliant?

First of all, it isn’t a matter of what I would rather play. I’ll play both (assuming you replace mediocre with decent). It is a matter of which is a good enough value. Portal 1 was a brilliant 5 hour game and I am glad I played it. But it was a $10 5 hour game.

Portal 2 adds a few mechanics and doubles the length, but is 5 times as expensive. I also don’t think it is as brilliant as Portal 1 if for no other reason than it is no longer an original. I don’t see where the value is made up.

And remember, this is a question of value and getting your (well, my really) monies worth. Again, with food, just because it tastes amazing doesn’t mean it is a good value. Just because the game play is fun, doesn’t mean you got your monies worth.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2011, 02:07:46 pm »

<snip>
Portal 2 also includes co-op, which (as far as I have heard, I haven't actually finished the co-op yet) is twice as long as the single player. So, that brings it up to 4x as much gameplay time as the original, costing $2.50 more per hour of gameplay. Personally, I think how fun the game is at least cancels out the $2.50, but that is opinion. Many of the co-op levels are also "asymmetrical" (as the devs put it), meaning that it can be played through twice on different sides of the co-op experience.

Another thing to note is that Portal 1 was incredibly good value for money, and just because Portal 2 is merely good value for money doesn't mean that portal 2 is bad value for money (even though it is, perhaps, slightly worse value in comparison to Portal 1).
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

Well, if you're interested in playing co-op with a complete co-op novice... *cough cough*  ;)

But yeah, value is all relative. As much as we may try to convince you that we consider Portal 2 to be a good value, there's no guarantee we'll be able to convince you. That said, even if you're not convinced, I wouldn't forget that Valve has promised DLC, and in the past, Valve's concept of DLC has usually been "free downloadable updates". At the very least, they mentioned that something similar to Portal 1's challenge maps were going to be released post-launch.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »

Well, if you're interested in playing co-op with a complete co-op novice... *cough cough*  ;)

You don't mind me adding you, do you?
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15