Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is it that makes the DF community so...  (Read 3986 times)

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that makes the DF community so...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:19 pm »

And I think that it takes a better person to post in the upper forums. Why would they be called the upper forums in the first place?  :D (just kidding)

But the main reason why most people are nice is because my friend's reaction to the dwarf fortress main page. Seeing all that bare asci broke his mind...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »

Most people start out in the upper forums and migrate down below later on. So it's probably just that DF has some sort of pacifying effect that either smites or calms all who come within a certain radius of the upper forums.

Then again, even the lower forums are a lot better behaved than some other forums I've seen.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:25 pm »

Probably what also helps, apart from the learning cliff, is the fact that DF is a.) free and b.) single-player (barring metagaming, successions, and so forth), meaning that the quality of the experience is based solely on the ability to have fun with the game and interact successfully with other forumgoers, rather than on the rather insane heated level of competition that is the core of a lot of other games.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »

Also it may be the general aura spread by Toady and the lack of "evil moderators". For example, even in worst cases Toady only deletes "bad posts" and gives polite warnings.
I suspect that the fact that Toady moderates this board personally has a lot to do with it.  Obviously, any fan of DF is going to respect him already, but more than that, I think most people realize that if you cause enough trouble on the board to make Toady respond, all you're doing is calling him away from Dwarf Fortress.  Nobody here wants that, so...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »

Ugh, the Minecraft forums used to be actually halfway decent. Players might get into occassional arguments, but nothing too bad. And then someone linked it on Penny Arcade...then Something Awful....then 4chan. Griefing went through the roof, and now I can't even look at the forums for info. Blech.

Ummmmm, anyways, yeah, probably because the worst people from places like those can't take the learning cliff.
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:10 am »

I vow for the end of the "Finally..." section of this forum. Most of its users are people who seldom play DF anymore, and it gives Toady only headaches.

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:42 am »

Probably what also helps, apart from the learning cliff, is the fact that DF is a.) free and b.) single-player

I think these three points are correlated. To be kind, multi-player games have to be appealing to a broad audience, so no learning cliff; at their worst, multi-player games are content-generation traps in which player activity is monetized, sold to other players as a "game".

And that all three -- difficult, free, single-player -- are correlated with "good", a bad game couldn't survive being those things.
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »

Basicly, the upper forums is where people talk about the game.  Its the lower forums where the nastiness happens.

Huh. That's probably why the community appears so nice. I never had the inclination to talk about anything other than the game.
There are lower forums? Bah. Really, I am in top 10 posters, and I think I haven't visited the "lower forums" for months. If I want to talk about something but DF, I can always find other forums.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »

Ugh, the Minecraft forums used to be actually halfway decent. Players might get into occassional arguments, but nothing too bad. And then someone linked it on Penny Arcade...then Something Awful....then 4chan. Griefing went through the roof, and now I can't even look at the forums for info. Blech.

Ummmmm, anyways, yeah, probably because the worst people from places like those can't take the learning cliff.
I think the main problem with Minecraft is that it can be multiplayer. A lot of "griefing" and badmouthing comes from there.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 07:53:55 am »

I vow for the end of the "Finally..." section of this forum. Most of its users are people who seldom play DF anymore, and it gives Toady only headaches.

Well, the Various Nonsense section did get that treatment years ago. I rarely went there, but its repute was basically as a burgeoning colony of 4chan... and nothing of value was lost.

Also, this forum has a unique form of annoyance. It gets some pretty hilarious sycophants that will attack any remotely similar game and worry about other games syphoning off Toady's revenue. See my sig for reference. "Goblin Camp" drove people loony for a while on this board.

I'm a denizen of the middle planes, myself. Other Games. I get most of my new gaming leads from there.
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

Waterbreath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:59 am »

I think this effect is a mixture of two things:

- DF players are somewhat dwarvish in themselves, they bend down under hardships and pull through, but stand together and enjoy helping each other, knowing each one has been in some calamity or other
- The common enemy!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:49:35 am »

The forums do have immature times, it's just that it's less than other forums.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:21 am »

- DF players are somewhat dwarvish in themselves, they bend down under hardships and pull through, but stand together and enjoy helping each other, knowing each one has been in some calamity or other

It's just the dwarven communal thing. They even have some sort of a hive-mind, and once you start playing Dwarf Fortress and register onto these forums, you get connected to the hive-mind, without any way of disconnecting yourself from it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »

It's the fact that due to the difficulty a tradition of helping new people started and something like that simply will not stop. And if you're civil to the new people you're civil to the old as well, and there's just a loop of civility here.

Note I didn't say "mature", just civil. We're all like kindergarteners inside, we just share our cookies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

Oh man, you guys talking about how much better we are than other forums made me want to go answer newbie questions in the adventure mode forums and actually live up to our standards :P
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4