Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is it that makes the DF community so...  (Read 3988 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
What is it that makes the DF community so...
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »

On most of the forums I see for other games (such as the minecraft forums, the League of legends forums, CoD forums ect.), I see players cursing left and right, immature people posting stupid and pointless comments, trolls running rampant (destroying doors, floodgates, and threads alike), and the majority of the fanbase alienating any newbie players they see.

But when I look at the bay12forums, I see a friendly community full of players asking for help, players giving help, players sharing their unique and unusual experiences, and players with some of the most eccentric imaginations ever. There are seldom any trollers, seldom any flamers (in comparison to the other forums I've seen), and the community here seems to be capable of achieving an almost ridiculous degree of organization (as seen by the many successful "properly played" succession and community games).

Heck, often I even enjoy reading and commenting on the forums more than the game itself.

So I just wonder, what exactly is it that makes the DF community so different from all the others that I've seen?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:11:52 pm by noodle0117 »

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that makes the DF community so...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:27 pm »

Instead of taking our rage on other people, we take it out on elves?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »

Different as in...

Psychotic below the surface?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:49:25 pm »

The ASCII deters the impatient players?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:04 am »

The ASCII deters the impatient players?

If I had to guess, it's a combination of this and our learning-cliff keeping away the rude and impatient.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:52:04 am »

Also it may be the general aura spread by Toady and the lack of "evil moderators". For example, even in worst cases Toady only deletes "bad posts" and gives polite warnings. The only time I saw him angry is when some guys tried to reverse engineer DF.

So it may be a long tradition of "dwarfiness" which everyone adopts as he stays on forums, and I personally love it.

I wouldn't ever get 12k+ posts on any other forum :P.

P.S. Yeah, I blame "dwarfiness". You know, people are often ignorant or rude here, but it quickly turns into "dwarf jokes" and an easy solution to any grudge is "magma". We just can't be serious about problems here :P.

P.P.S. Also I think that if there was an "average age" in forum stats, it would be a bit higher than on other forums. It plays a role too, people with some age behind them tend to be more stable in the internet environment since you know, it's just a game. I don't mean younger players are crazy maniacs, but children usually view everything too radical/personal/important.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:55:48 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:46 am »

We also tend to drive off the easily offended.  If DF and its magma-roasted kittens didn't do it, then LCS probably would.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:40:25 am »

It's not the only forum like this, I'm a member of an amateur game development forum (for a specific bit of software) that's extremely welcoming, all the more impressive as the primary audience are schoolkids.

There's a similar learning cliff with that, too.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:57 am »

Of course we're all polite. Everyone else has a lever that pours magma into the world.

Do YOU want to burn? No? Then shut up and get along!~
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:15 am »

I have to agree with the '"Learning cliff with spikes, upside-down portions, caves wfilled with monsters and goblin crossbowmen firing from below" weeding out the people who couldn't live with these sorts of things' -theory.

But then again, most forums also host a number of people simply complaining how hard it is for them to learn the game and raging about it.

Go figure  ::)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:06:51 am »

Another part I would imagine, is the large amount of loyalty to Toady and Dwarf Fortress in general. Just last night I even had a dream I met Toady.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 08:16:28 am »

Well technically we still do have quite a lot of people who don't understand some of the game aspects.
Only difference is that they don't seem to make as big of a commotion about it, and that everyone else seems to be a lot more willing to help out.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:09 am »

Its funny that this thread was written at the same time a thread in the general discusion was sritten about whats wrong with the forums and why did so many people just get banned.  Basicly, the upper forums is where people talk about the game.  Its the lower forums where the nastiness happens.  And it annoys Toady a great deal.  I think that everyone is so nice and welcoming up here is because everyone loves the game so much.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:15:58 pm »

Basicly, the upper forums is where people talk about the game.  Its the lower forums where the nastiness happens.

Huh. That's probably why the community appears so nice. I never had the inclination to talk about anything other than the game.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »

True that. The sort of person who sticks with DF long enough to post in the upper forums has some degree of patience and organised thinking, and any forum-disrupting personal views they might have are put aside in favour of talking shop when in the DF forums. I like that the forums are focused, but there's still room for a bit of messing around.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4