Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Master and Immigration issues.  (Read 946 times)

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Master and Immigration issues.
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »

Hey guys, I've been noticing that some places say the Dungeon Master is bugged and other say it may be fixed. I've had a Barony once but he still never arrived. Can anyone confirm if he's showing up in 31.25?

Also, whats the deal with the number of migrations? I remember playing a year ago and it on average I was only getting 1 to 2 waves of immigrants and only 8-12 tops at once. Now I'm getting flooded. My most recent game I have almost 100 dwarves and it's only the second year. It seams like every time I get a wave sorted out into the jobs I need, another 20 arrive on my doorstep. Is there a way to turn immigration down? Or can I edit the population cap after I've started a fort to stop or start immigration?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master and Immigration issues.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:46 pm »

The dungeon master does not appear in an unmodded game. If you mod it so that he can be obtained, then he works correctly.

Migrations are mostly dependant on fortress wealth. Have you been pumping out trade goods? Lots of prepared meals? Trap components?

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:49 pm »

What mod do you use to get him?

Stone crafts mostly. After I finish making tables and doors with my starting Mason, I switch him to stonecrafting and turn off all his other labours. He pumps out crafts so fast that my carpenter struggles to make enough bins to contain them all. By the time the first caravan arrives, I have more than enough to buy what ever I want.

So does editing the population cap in the init file work? Can I re-edit it later when I want more dorfs?

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:40 pm »

Once after i became a barony i had gotten the option to become a Captal. Howerver i never made enough wealth of ROADS to become a capital... so i don't know if you need to become one to get him and it actualy works...

This "Captal option" only appeared once on Nobles screen, pressing n+c will get you there if you have the option to become one, i don't know what is needed to even get the option tough

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »

I believe all you need to mod is who appoints the DM.  Adding [APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR] to the DM entry in entity_default.txt should work.  However, modding the entity requires genning a new world. 

To get the DM in an existing world, you need the NoExotic mod.  It changes all [PET_EXOTIC] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tags to [PET] and [MOUNT], respectively.  You need to run it in the region folder for your current fort so it can find the right raw files.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:18 pm »

Wait so, he doens't show up, but a quick 5-minute fix makes him show up? This seems like a bug that should've very quickly been dealt with. hm.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 11:55:16 pm »

All of the nobles that are supposed to be appointed by the baron/count/duke don't work.  They can all be "fixed" this way.  The problem is, they will show up early (you get a mayor before a baron), and won't fix the underlying problem that the ruling noble isn't appointing underlings properly.  Fixing that would require coding time from Toady, and will (eventually) show up in one of the bug-fix releases.  Meanwhile, everyone asks "Where's the DM?" and NOBODY asks "Where's the hammerer/tax collector?", even though they have the same fix. :P

JMZ

EDIT:  According to this bug, the DM doesn't work at all, even if you can appoint one.  Using the NoExotics mod is probably the best bet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:43:03 am by JmzLost »
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:16 am »

lol no one asks about the hammerer because it makes it harder to ignore noble requests >.>

and...there is no economy for the tax collector to be useful for lol

i dont even understand how the economy would be useful anyway >.>

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:01 am »

lol no one asks about the hammerer because it makes it harder to ignore noble requests >.>

and...there is no economy for the tax collector to be useful for lol

i dont even understand how the economy would be useful anyway >.>

A lot of people appoint a sheriff/captain of the guard, which has the same effect as having a hammerer.  The economy is for flavor, and a late-game challenge.  Once food/booze/defense/metal production is set up, most of the early challenge is gone.  Providing varying levels of housing and consumer goods in a mature fort was an added challenge in 40d.  That probably won't come back any time soon, although it has been replaced by forgotten beasts with melt-your-dwarf syndromes.

JMZ

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:45 am »

I start with stone crafts, then switch to cloth crafts once my farms start producing, they're a lot more valuable than stone crafts, and lighter so you don't need a zillion bins. I used to make cloth/silk cloaks or dresses. Now, i make cloth crafts then decorate with other cloth. A bin full of these can be worth 25,000.

And when 'decorating with cloth' (AKA "sew cloth image" in the game), they take the finished good + some cloth and sew it into one item, putting in back in the finished goods stockpile. This process actually FREES UP the bins holding the cloth.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:14:06 am by Reelyanoob »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:48:42 am »

You have to mod him to be appointed, as others have said.  But even then, he does not work correctly (you still can't tame exotics).

So just use the noexotics tool to remove all the exotics tags (you can do this on an existing world without regenning) and you won't need a DM at all.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:26 am »

lol...i just used the no exotic mod, and apparently my civ has access to a butt ton of creature's, like elk birds and giant save swallow's...even the babies were 200+ dwarfbucks though >.< annoyingly, they didnt have any bitmous coal though...gonna have to deal with burning wood if the fort i picked doesnt have any i guess