Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Penal legions... Why not?  (Read 8595 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penal legions... Why not?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 10:44:15 pm »

where are they going to hide them?

I'm sorry, but have you never thought "I'll just drive off this here supply truck and hock off the stuff on the black market?"
It is factored into logistics a small loss due to black market sales.  It is simply the nature of militaries and soldiers.  Most commanders have long since given up trying to stop it.  Now its just managed via limited rations per month that can be sold.  Larger things, like selling an entire Duece-and-a-half ( http://www.answers.com/topic/deuce-and-a-half-1   i know someone who did that like 25 years ago ) are frowned upon, significantly.

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:50 pm »

Of course, such chances to steal are more likely taken by kriminals.
Hello Hunam

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »

It is factored into logistics a small loss due to black market sales.  It is simply the nature of militaries and soldiers.  Most commanders have long since given up trying to stop it.  Now its just managed via limited rations per month that can be sold.  Larger things, like selling an entire Duece-and-a-half ( http://www.answers.com/topic/deuce-and-a-half-1   i know someone who did that like 25 years ago ) are frowned upon, significantly.

OK

So... how about those kleptomaniacs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »

I recall being once told a story of some WWII soilders who stole a Jeep. By mailing it home. One piece at a time.

No idea if it's true or not, but if so then god damn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:13 pm »

I'm sorry, but have you never thought "I'll just drive off this here supply truck and hock off the stuff on the black market?"

Oh look that guy is driving off with a truck of supplies he isn't supposed to have *pulls out remote and turns off the truck* Hey could you go over there and arrest him for me? thanks.

with the information age hiding is difficult if you aren't given room to move.
Heck you could always implant them with a tracker like they do animals.

However, as a recognition of pattern I'm gonna stop now before my metaphorical fortress is dust and my (Again metaphorical :)) countryside is in flames.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:28 pm »

I recall being once told a story of some WWII soilders who stole a Jeep. By mailing it home. One piece at a time.

No idea if it's true or not, but if so then god damn.

Wouldn't you eventually pay for basically the whole price of the jeep in shipping costs?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:03 pm »

Oh look that guy is driving off with a truck of supplies he isn't supposed to have *pulls out remote and turns off the truck* Hey could you go over there and arrest him for me? thanks.

with the information age hiding is difficult if you aren't given room to move.
Heck you could always implant them with a tracker like they do animals.

However, as a recognition of pattern I'm gonna stop now before my metaphorical fortress is dust and my (Again metaphorical :)) countryside is in flames.

Or you could have highly trained soldiers not spend every minute being high tech babysitters.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:44 pm »

*pulls out remote and turns off the truck*
What. That is... very stupid.
Hello Hunam

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

Do we even have that sort of tech yet?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »

If they drive off in a tiny toy radio control truck, yes.
Hello Hunam

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:50 pm »

Druid...why does it sound to me like you're pulling half of these ideas out of Warhammer 40K and modernizing them a little?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:17 pm »

...Because he is?
Hello Hunam

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:57 pm »

Okay, I now have the mental image of a beefy scarred guy with tattoos and scars riding on top of a tiny RC car with a gleeful expression of childlike joy on his face.

Druid...why does it sound to me like you're pulling half of these ideas out of Warhammer 40K and modernizing them a little?
That's what I was thinking.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:17 pm »

Awesome though that idea may be, I think we do actually have vehicles that can be remotely deactivated, but it seems to me that including a sensitive electronic device that shuts down the engine when triggered in a vehicle designed to see combat at least occasionally is just asking for trouble. And lawsuits.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »

We have the technology to send an email back to base when your speed goes too high.  Truckers also have 'tattletales' to track their routes.  But it's one thing to track someone for payroll and another thing to babysit them for stealing.  And they'd try to steal all the time.  What would you do to punish them?  Send them to prison?
Okay, I now have the mental image of a beefy scarred guy with tattoos and scars riding on top of a tiny RC car with a gleeful expression of childlike joy on his face.
You have won the thread.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9