Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Penal legions... Why not?  (Read 8597 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Penal legions... Why not?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:15 pm »

Ok, I have been wondering this for a while now.... Why aren't penal legions (or whatever military group term you feel is correct, I'm no expert and I like legion so I'm sticking with it.) in use in modern militaries?

I mean IIUC militaries could always use more people... and there are tons of people in prison for life. Why not find some mechanism of keeping them controlled and put them in front of non penal legion soldiers?

I mean on the one hand you have the normal system, where you pay good people to go out and kill, take care of all his food and shelter...

on the other hand you can conscript murderers, serial killers, rapists, and their ilk to go out and do the same job for no pay, and not have to bother with money on humane executions.

They couldn't be our only military of course but I see no reason why not to supplement the military with them. If nothing else it'd help reduce the outrage at home when a soldier dies, it isn't as sad when the man who died stabbed someone to death in the street before being sent out.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Penal legions... Why not?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:00 pm »

Because modern militaries run on discipline and overwhelming fire support.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:49 pm »

Serial killer => stabs fellow soldiers => gets loose => rapes his way through the countryside of whatever foreign country you're in => enormous political disaster

Worst case scenario.

Wars are fought more with politics now than they are with guns.  You need your soldiers to be sane.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »

some mechanism of keeping them controlled

This is the hard part. Too, an important part of military strength is small-unit cohesion and morale. If the guy behind you is an axe-murdering psycho, even if he's promised to be on his best behavior, I don't think you're going to be paying as much attention to less immediate threats as you could.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:47:06 pm »

Arming violent criminals with war-grade weapons, and then shoving them out into a wartime environment where police-action and anti-insurgency is generally more common than straight-up warring?

Not on my dime, bucko.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:48:23 pm »

Actually, for some small-level crimes they do give the option to join the military.  For things like, oh, lets say rape, you don't want those kinds of people being in the military.  It leads to bad things.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »

Like Vector said... for the populations of whatever countries we're in to not hate us, our soldiers have to be boy scouts, basically. I wouldn't trust penal soldiers to follow protocol and terms of engagement well.

Edit: TRIPLE NINJA'D
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

Furthermore, you have to consider the possibility that some of these people will be wrongfully convicted innocents. We have to restrain the severity of punishment to ensure that people who get unlucky and fall through the cracks don't get screwed over. For example, being shot to death because you were forced to join the millitary under a penal legion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:37 pm »

Serial killer => stabs fellow soldiers => gets loose => rapes his way through the countryside of whatever foreign country you're in => enormous political disaster

Worst case scenario.

Wars are fought more with politics now than they are with guns.  You need your soldiers to be sane.
Or controlled.

This is the hard part. Too, an important part of military strength is small-unit cohesion and morale. If the guy behind you is an axe-murdering psycho, even if he's promised to be on his best behavior, I don't think you're going to be paying as much attention to less immediate threats as you could.
Surround them with normal guys, and the promise that they act up they get shot.

Like Vector said... for the populations of whatever countries we're in to not hate us, our soldiers have to be boy scouts, basically. I wouldn't trust penal soldiers to follow protocol and terms of engagement well.

Edit: TRIPLE NINJA'D
Which is why for every penal legion guy you have two normal guys, the penal legion guy acts up he gets shot.

Furthermore, you have to consider the possibility that some of these people will be wrongfully convicted innocents. We have to restrain the severity of punishment to ensure that people who get unlucky and fall through the cracks don't get screwed over. For example, being shot to death because you were forced to join the millitary under a penal legion.

so because one person might fall through the cracks, we give all prisoners a cushy life of free food and shelter to do nothing?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

There is no need to spend so much time enlisting penal forces and wasting time keeping them in line, there's no 'real' war right now.
Hello Hunam

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

Or controlled.

Which is why for every penal legion guy you have two normal guys, the penal legion guy acts up he gets shot.

Putting a bunch of felons on a battlefield would be a massive liability, not an asset.  Soldiers are supposed to be observing and reacting to their environment at all times, not playing prison warden.

Plus try explaining to the family of the first soldier who gets stabbed by a prisoner.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

Worst case scenario.

Or controlled.
No, sanity is pretty high up there.

These are people who have already proven that they are willing to do whatever it is they did despite the potentially high consequences. You really think a squad of normal soilders will deter them? Plus, I can't imagine soilders would want to work with convicted felons.

so because one person might fall through the cracks, we give all prisoners a cushy life of free food and shelter to do nothing?
Despite what you might think, being locked up for years and years in a building full of psychopaths isn't fun, free food nonwithstanding. Now, just take the USA. It has a population of 314,000,000. One person won't end up wrongfully convicted, thousands will. What are you going to say to the people who's relatives were killed in wars they were forced to join because the jury/judge/police/anyone else involved fucked up a court case?

And as Megaman said, it would be more trouble than it would ever be worth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »

There is no mechanism of controlling dangerous criminals that's effective, humane, and guaranteed enough to justify using it for penal military service.

It's a horrible idea.  At best we would look bad for drugging up/mind-controlling/whatever a bunch of our own citizens and using them as cannon fodder (The real Penal Legion route), and at worst we have a political disaster when a bunch of criminals start doing what criminals do to the unsuspecting populace of the country we're fighting in.
Shoes...

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:55 pm »

Why have them fight, they could be unloading planes?
Thank you based dwarf.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:04 pm »

You'll still get that one who gets out and goes on a murdering/raping/vandalism spree, and by god the media will have a field day. What, say, in a firefight, stops him from putting a bullet through the head of his warder(s) for the day, and legging it? There's very little a suppressed squad could do to stop him, and you've just released your most dangerous criminals into the country you're 'liberating' or 'protecting'. They're gonna love you for that.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9