Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Question: Pitting Hostiles  (Read 4223 times)

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
Quick Question: Pitting Hostiles
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »

Just a quick question, Will this method still work in the current version (.25)?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Mass_Cage_Recycling_System
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've followed the steps but the dwarves don't seem to be generating gobbo-pit jobs. Do the cages need to be manually constructed (ARG!) in this version or is it just because of all those stone hauling jobs?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question: Pitting Hostiles
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:41:09 pm »

Just a quick question, Will this method still work in the current version (.25)?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Mass_Cage_Recycling_System
[spoiler]Mass Cage Recycling System
I've followed the steps but the dwarves don't seem to be generating gobbo-pit jobs. Do the cages need to be manually constructed (ARG!) in this version or is it just because of all those stone hauling jobs?

It should work. Pitting is a relatively low priority job. In general, don't pit unless you've got nothing else going on, especially because you want your melee squad(s) available in the pitting area to catch runaways.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:39:11 pm »

Yeah, make sure that during mass-pitting operations you have at least 1 squad (5+ dwarves) in the upper room along with some cage traps in the hallway outside to catch / kill runaways.  (If you caged it once, you can probably cage it again - unless you used a webbed cage or it was an "unconscious" catch.) 

But if you design the room correctly, even thieves only have about a 20-30% chance of escape.  Critters are more like 30-40%.  "Caged prisoners" are pretty much 0% chance of escape.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »

i also have a question, can you pit a gob witout him attacking the pitter? how does that work? i want to make sacrifices to the cliff

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:52 pm »

i also have a question, can you pit a gob witout him attacking the pitter? how does that work? i want to make sacrifices to the cliff
Only thieves will try to escape. All other goblins will be pitted with no problems.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

Cool diagram! You should put that on the wiki....

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:34:29 pm »

Only thieves will try to escape. All other goblins will be pitted with no problems.
wow those goblins must really be even more stupid than dorfs

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:47 pm »

Cool diagram! You should put that on the wiki....

I haven't seen an illustration on the wiki, to date, which uses a 3rd party tileset. I'm a tileset user. To the suggestions board!

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »

It should work.

So no, I do not need to manually build the cages?
(in order to pit their inhabitants)
(who are hostile)
(and smell)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:56:01 pm »

You really only need to build the cages if they contain something like a titan, giant, dragon, etc. Something big that dwarves can't really lead around (not even one square). You might want to build cages for thieves and fliers, but I wouldn't bother unless they're particularly difficult to kill thieves or fliers. Instead I'd just order a squad or two to sit around the cages and kill them when they escape.