Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Movies that remind you of DF  (Read 3233 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that remind you of DF
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »

Avatar. Colenol Quaritch is quite a bit shorter than his whiny treehugging adversaries, but makes up for it using superior technology and a heaping amount of sociopathy. Also ignores being on fire.

Hmm, perhaps being a DF Player explains why I was rooting for Quaritch.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:05:10 am »

The short people's motives were pretty dwarven, too: Go to site, extract minerals.But the treehuggers didn't eat their enemies! Plus those must have been some very badly trained dwarves, as they lost to TREEHUGGERS of all things.
Question: If the elves are Na'vi and the dwarves are the humans. then what are DF humans in Avatar?...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:09 am »

The short people's motives were pretty dwarven, too: Go to site, extract minerals.But the treehuggers didn't eat their enemies! Plus those must have been some very badly trained dwarves, as they lost to TREEHUGGERS of all things.
Question: If the elves are Na'vi and the dwarves are the humans. then what are DF humans in Avatar?...

I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Also, the Dwarves lost because some idiot was dicking with the raws and gave the Elves dragon mounts.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:46:58 am »

A cross between Poseidon Adventure (flooding/burning/collapsing, crawling through tunnels) and "Volcano", coz of all the tunnels and lava. Now there was a bad movie, but very DF

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:49 am »

Also, the Dwarves lost because some idiot was dicking with the raws and gave the Elves dragon mounts.

Aaahahahahahaha

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:31 am »

Going to have to say Dude Where's My Car. Only because that's vaguely what I picture a strange mood being like.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:08 pm »

It's not a movie, but I saw an episode of Blowdown today that had a line that immediately made me think Dwarf Fortress. They were preparing a rocket tower for demolition, which involved removing the steel floors. According to the narrator, it was necessary for them to "cut away the floors from under their feet".
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:54 am »

In MacBeth, MacBeth says "We might have met them dareful, beard to beard, and beat them backward home." :P

arkher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 06:37:42 pm »

Just about any Uwe Boll movie, because all my fortresses end up being horrible steaming disasters.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »

Yup. And also gave them tamed rhinos in excess. THERE WERE HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF THOSE DAMN THINGS!

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41:40 am »

Really? Nobody suggested 300? I mean, sure, they lost, but hey:
  • Military society of badasses
  • Bottomless pit
  • They kill the innocent
  • 300 of them almost won against an army of millions
  • They also fought several freakish abominations. AND WON.
  • Did I mention they were badasses?
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 12:58:40 am »

The only non-dwarven things about 300 were that the women didn't have beards and the lack of fiery death by magma. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »

The only non-dwarven things about 300 were that the women didn't have beards and the lack of fiery death by magma. :P
What did you think was at the bottom of that pit? And you guys, why do you think all the Spartans run around half naked? BONUS POINTS

I'd like to make another nomination. The movie "Thor" that just came out. So many things that are from dwarf fortress. Volstagg is obviously a dwarf.
"Volstagg, the king has just died, the evil brother has just become king, Thor is still banished, and what are you doing? You've eaten 5 pigs, 4 pheasants, 3 kegs of ale, and are still eating! *smacks plate out of hands*"
Volstagg cancels eat: Throwing tantrum.

Also, the Gatekeeper was cheaply killed by Loki.
Gatekeeper has been encased in ice.

And don't forget the hundreds of dwarf fortress-style kills in the Frost Giant world. Thor killed the giant monster (Bigger than a BC, I'll tell you that) in one hit.
The spinning artifact hammer hits the forgotten beast in the head, tearing through the skull, and shattering the brain!
Forgotten beast has been struck down.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 04:19:28 am »

This was my reply to "Signs that you play too much df"-thread but maybe its suitable in here also.

1703 You start to see dwarf fortress references in all movies, like in "Willy Wonka & Chocolate factory"

Oompa loompa compilation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0zZttfUaw

At first minute you see that there is dwarfen pump operators working, and some others dumping sugar bags to underground river.

...and next you see group of dwarfes hauling blue colored megabeast to refuse stockpile.

...you will understand that their skin color is what it is because of diet onlyconsisting of plump helmets and wine made from it.

...and at last minute you see group of new recruits in white leather armor first hanging around randomly and then have some wrestling spar session.

This nigtmarish boat trip that children must make to get candy makes you understand why films name contains "&".

Can he really do this to those poor children... oh yes Candyman can!

Also has very dwarfy waterwall/piping/rivers system where one kid ends up drowning. And lots of weird overly complex and dangerous machinery operated by dwarfs.

And there is that mysterious "candy" that everyone wants.  ;)

I have been thinking about reproducing that chocolate factory in df, including chocolate waterwall and boat trip to hell (though there is no boats yet) and golden egg laying gooses etc.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:45 am »

Time Bandits : Dwarves go on a rampage through medieval and pre-historic settings to find Treasure; there are Minotaurs, Giants, ogres, battles, a decent into hell, half a dozen dwarfs shoved int one (iron cage) ,demons, millitary being slaughtered by the dozen ( end fight ), a dwarf gets crushed under a falling pillar, hellfire-explody death, and the film has a tragic / puzzling ending where your just left to think "what the hell just happened, what are those piles of smoking ash with shoes in them?"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:10:42 am by hjd_uk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3