Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb question: Items on Floor  (Read 1252 times)

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb question: Items on Floor
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:11:36 pm »

Forgive the newbie question, but i am a bit lost in figuring this out:

My dwarfs will randomly leave things on the floor with no apparent way to move the item back into the stockpile or toss it into the garbage.  How can i make them pick up these items?

I had recently evicted all of my dwarfs to move down to new chambers built for them, but they seem to have left all of their cloths and other belongings behind.  I read through the wiki, and could not find any successful way for them to get these items.  I would like to not have to restart my fort, but if i have to i have to.  Any help would be appreciated.

I am using 31.25
Join my Mini Trooper Raid Army:
http://rolens-rangers.minitroopers.com

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newb question: Items on Floor
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »

Do they have cabinets in their bedrooms to stock their belongings?

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:27:23 pm »

The new rooms have:
3x3
Bed
Armor Stand
Cabinet
Coffer

The old rooms only had:
2x3
Bed
Coffer

In my mind they clearly have more space now, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:31:57 pm »

It might just be that they haven't had time to move their stuff yet. Are these clothes? That's what dwarves usually seem to leave lying about. Also make sure that they're not marked for dumping, or forbidden.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »

dag, i was hoping it was not part of that bug :(

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »

You really need to tell us what these items are, and whether they are owned or not.  Use (k) and (Enter) to inspect the item.  If it's owned, you'll see Owner: Avuz Nishbakust, Milker on line two.  Or, y'know, some other name and title.

If it's owned clothing, then give them time to move it into their new cabinets.  Each cabinet will hold up to 10 pieces of clothing.

If it's owned food, then you have some other thing going on, and you'll need to track it down.  The most likely is that you put a miner, woodcutter or hunter into a military squad and allowed that squad to carry food....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 06:16:08 pm »

Its assorted owned clothing.  It has been sitting on the floor for a few game years now.  Is there anyway i can order the owner to pick it up?

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14:36 pm »

Its assorted owned clothing.  It has been sitting on the floor for a few game years now.  Is there anyway i can order the owner to pick it up?

Three Easy(jk!) Steps for Solving Ownership Problems:
1) Unassign the dwarf all labors and remove him or her from the military if applicable.
2) If Step 1 produced no effect, kill the dwarf.
3) If Step 2 and Step 3 came empty-handed, designate the item to be Hide and walk away.

4) Or just Smash it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:13 am »

or place magma using dfliquids and remove magma using dfliquids (untested)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:30 am »

or place magma using dfliquids and remove magma using dfliquids (untested)

I have heard that the magma needs to be dropped from at least 1 z-level above, otherwise it doesn't update the temperature properly.  I've never used dfliquids, so I don't know for sure.

Atom-smashing won't work, because you won't be able to build a bridge on top of the items you want to smash.  Although you could build a large bridge on the level below, raise the bridge, channel the floor the clothes are on, then lower the bridge.  Or just d-b-h over the whole area, wall it off, and forget about it.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:37 am »

If it's owned clothing, then give them time to move it into their new cabinets.  Each cabinet will hold up to 10 pieces of clothing.

10 pieces? I thought the limit was more like only 5 pieces.

(I know that if I give my military dwarves 3 cabinets, things work.  But with only 1 cabinet stuff ends up on the floor.)

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:16:01 am »

All of the clothing items in the game have an associated size, so I can only assume that cabinets have a fixed volume that they will hold. Military gear like breastplates are way bulkier than socks, so you need more cabinets. No?

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:05:38 pm »

All of the clothing items in the game have an associated size, so I can only assume that cabinets have a fixed volume that they will hold. Military gear like breastplates are way bulkier than socks, so you need more cabinets. No?

Yes.