Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop military dwarves picking up equipment during combat?  (Read 718 times)

kmob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My situation is as follows: 10 strong squad of (well) trained marksdwarves patrolling the inside perimeter of a tower above my entrance raining down silver bolt death to all enemies :). This is working really well and now that they're trained they deliver a serious hail of bolts - which is very satisfying.

In the tower I have an ammo stockpile and they do fill up during combat ok.. but I have had a major problem the past couple of invasions where my  marksdwarves (almost always the best trained ones!)  will leave the safety of the tower and head out into the wilderness via my entrance with the "pickup equipment" task. This of course takes them right into the invasion foot soldiers' clutches (much to their delight I'm sure!) where my poor marksdwarfs promptly get shredded..

Is there a way to stop this happening during combat? I do have off the "forbid fired ammo" option so it did occur to me that perhaps they're heading out into the wild to retrieve high quality bolts? I'll turn it off during the next invasion to see if makes any difference.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop military dwarves picking up equipment during combat?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:05:57 am »

I don't really know the true coding way around this problem, although I've heard that marksdwarves tend to stay on task better if you lock them in their firing room with their ammo.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:19:57 am »

I do have off the "forbid fired ammo" option so it did occur to me that perhaps they're heading out into the wild to retrieve high quality bolts? I'll turn it off during the next invasion to see if makes any difference.

That's my first thought, for sure.  Also be sure to leave the "other death items" on "Forbid" (that's the default), so that your marksdwarf militia captain won't assign himself that -<<*copper helmet*>>- the goblin just dropped.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:41 am »

I do have off the "forbid fired ammo" option so it did occur to me that perhaps they're heading out into the wild to retrieve high quality bolts? I'll turn it off during the next invasion to see if makes any difference.
This is probably part of it. Teh other two parts are that marksdwarves will attempt to use their crossbows as hammers in some cases, and that dropped items (armor/weapons/olts) from your invaders may not be forbidden, but probably should be.

kmob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:04 am »

Thanks for the tips guys. Last night I turned back on all the "forbid" orders for ammo and other people's gear and the marksdwarves stopped heading out into the wilderness.. problem solved! :)