Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one hire wizards to destroy balrogs?  (Read 698 times)

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does one hire wizards to destroy balrogs?
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:43 am »

They are really annoying. If I dig into an underground fortress then balrogs appear, and I can't kill them. So I am wondering if wizards like Gandalf will appear in DF in future patches to destroy these demons?

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: How does one hire wizards to destroy balrogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:59 am »

It's not impossible to handle them yourself. Try a long hallway of repeating steel spikes.

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:22 am »

Still getting a handle on this game. I have played Dwarf Fortress last year, but after viewing hours of video I gave up. Then I played Minecraft recently, and know I want something with more depth, and so I came back to DF.

I seem to somewhat fluidly get into it but now there are contradictions that confuse me. Is the economy working? If not, as it is stated as not working in the wiki, then why is the option available in the Friendly Noob launcher?

Military is more automated but more complex? I will view a video to clear this up.

Guaranteed water and magma everywhere, I am very happy with this.

Obsidian is harder to farm? Why?

Finally we have medics. I am happy.

Thanks, too many questions are running in my mind at the moment, most of them will clear up.

Another thing, what is the way-point system for?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:05 am »

Is the economy working?
No, and it's been disabled in the game's mechanics below the level of the init files.

If not, as it is stated as not working in the wiki, then why is the option available in the Friendly Noob launcher?
Even once it's back, some people won't use it. There's an init file option to leave it off when that happens.

Military is more automated but more complex?
Better control and detail, but more complex to control.

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:34:58 am »

The wiki doesn't go into detail about what changes the economy will undertake in DF 2010, is there a development blog that I missed or are these things noted in the forums?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:28 am »

well then i post 1 question here as well

how to find metal? the only ore i can find is the ore of zinc and tin. but no iron, copper or silver.
the embark spot had shallow and deep ore but how do i know if there is any usefull metal?

i have found a limestone layer they are supposed to be a Sedimentary layer with's contains ore of iron.
i have nearly dug up the entire layer but not a single ore of iron or coal.

so.. how to find metal?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:12:03 am »

If you want more metal ores, then you'll need to generate a world with lower mineral scarcity - if you're using the latest version, this can be selected from the standard world generation screen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

You want metal? Simply dig for it or craft Stuff to buy some.

I get embark sites without usefull metal quite often but most the time there is other usefull stuff like gold, gems etc I can craft to valuable Items for sale.

Most the time this is more effective than forging steel equip by yourself, I usually equip my first 10 dwarfes with traded items.

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:07 am »

When you place down a building, like a workshop, it asks what materials you build it out of, no tutorial video explains this. I always use the 'shift-enter', aka, 'select all' because I do not know what DF is doing in regards to this option.

Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:27 am »

Well, you say you Mason Workshop has to be build of one tower cap log and so your dwarfes use one tower cap log. If you say they should use some Gabbro etc they use this instead.

Only at forges and smelter the material is important, wood simply burns down, stone doesnt.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:11:51 am »

The wiki doesn't go into detail about what changes the economy will undertake in DF 2010, is there a development blog that I missed or are these things noted in the forums?
On the front page. The page where you download the latest DF version.

When you place down a building, like a workshop, it asks what materials you build it out of, no tutorial video explains this. I always use the 'shift-enter', aka, 'select all' because I do not know what DF is doing in regards to this option.
Most things only ever need 1 unit of the building material, so 'select all' is just the same as 'select one'. You choose which of the available building materials on that list you want to build your e.g. workshop out of. The colour of the material will show up for some buildings. The only time 'select all' comes into play is constructions or buildings that need multiple units of material to make, e.g. a trade depot. There, the 'select all' simply means 'all the construction material units will be of this one type I've just selected'.

well then i post 1 question here as well

how to find metal? the only ore i can find is the ore of zinc and tin. but no iron, copper or silver.
the embark spot had shallow and deep ore but how do i know if there is any usefull metal?

i have found a limestone layer they are supposed to be a Sedimentary layer with's contains ore of iron.
i have nearly dug up the entire layer but not a single ore of iron or coal.

so.. how to find metal?
Welcome to the new scarcity setting in worldgen, introduced in v0.31.20 - simply put, the world you generated does not have much metal anywhere. The embark spot said it had metals, they turned out to only be useless ones and the ones you are looking for do not exist at that spot. Bring the mineral scarcity option right down to the minimum possible if you want to guarantee an underground rainbow of every metal possible for the stone layers you have at your embark spot.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.