Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so what now?  (Read 1064 times)

king_hobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
so what now?
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:31:47 am »

hey guys, im new here

ive kinda played around with DF off and on for a while, but always give up after getting 40 guys (its a lot of people for a noob ok!) but now im on my first real play.

i dont no how many years ive been here, my last report was at opal 261 and the oldest one i can find is timber 257, so i geuss ive been here at lest 4 years.

every thing seems to be going ok, i have 109 people, 2 squards of guards and WAY to much food!,  but im not really sure what to do next?

people say magma is good so ive started going down in a little area, im now 23 levels down from my enterance but still no sign of it.

in short, every thing is good, what now? i still havent had a raid or any attack of any kind.

thanks guys

king_hobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: so what now?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:33:25 am »

wait thatsa lie, i did get attacked by a two headed troll thing, but it was shoot in the neck by a hunter and die before the front gate :)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:59 am »

You might have a site or world that isn't attackable from invaders (have you been getting any traders?). You can check the civ screen to see which peoples have made contact with you.

Magma is going to be pretty deep down, talking layer -100 or deeper depending on the map.

Dwarf Fortress is a quicksand box, so you may end up finding your own challenges at some point. Try opening up a few cavern levels and fighting with a forgotten beastie or two. Good fun for everyone.

Welcome to the community, by the way. I'm Strife (and I'm rarely seen in these northern boards), if you need anything else.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:36 am »

What should you do now?

EVERYTHING!

(Mwhahahahahaha!!!)

If you look around, over there (*points to one bit of the forum*) you've got some people digging out virtually the entire map, over there and there (*points at two other recent threads*) you've got people who have been asking about strange swords, you'll find loads of references to obsidian farming (you know, casting a huge block of 'natural' obsidian stone on the surface, to be later dug out for... various purposes...) and then there are those who have dedicated inordinate amounts of time developing clocks ticking over the seasons, Turin Complete calculators, even Conway machines with mechanical components and moving water around.

Some people are trying to arrange waterfalls of dwarven wine (*briefly shrugs over into a more speculative part of the forums*), but something tells me that's not yet achievable.

Have you had your first siege yet?  Or have you... no, that's a spoiler...  Let's just say "dig deeper".

And just because building a giant fortress in the shape of a dwarven head has been done before, it doesn't mean that you can't give it a go, right? :)

king_hobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 02:30:19 am »

haha thanks for the replys guys

yeah i was hoping to bust own a cavan, sounds funs! and a good chance to use my "use cross bows as maces" squard!

ive had traders, human, elf (.. though i wish they would just go home) and from te home city.

i really want a chance to try out my traps, HURRY UP GOBLINS!

king_hobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:51:47 am »

then there are those who have dedicated inordinate amounts of time developing clocks ticking over the seasons, Turin Complete calculators, even Conway machines with mechanical components and moving water around.

oh my god... that would be horrible!.. coding my first Conway machine was enough!

... but interesting idea!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:50 am »

people say magma is good so ive started going down in a little area, im now 23 levels down from my enterance but still no sign of it.
Come back when you've dug down 150+ levels (use mouse to speed up the process of designating up/down staircases), you'll probably have hit interesting stuff long before then. 23 is nothing if your embark spot isn't flat.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

king_hobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:35:44 am »

...sigh, yeah i started need the top of a large hill.

currently at -54, its like Hobos tours of new and exciting rocks down here!

so are the cavens like... huge? as in, if i hit a level with one, am i likely to know as soon as i hit it, or are they smaller, so i should poke around on every level for a while?

i have no idea you could use the mouse! AMAZING!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

Yes. Unless you get a quirk of luck and dig through a natural pillar or such, you will definitely know when you've hit a Cavern. There's 3 (and then more below them), so it's extremely unlikely you'll find absolutely nothing by digging all the way down.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

Do you have a strong military? You should probably get a squad or two will full metal armour before you dig down too much further or you might find the population of your fortress fluctuating a little more than you expected.
[Signature]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 04:12:31 pm »

Do you have a strong military? You should probably get a squad or two will full metal armour before you dig down too much further or you might find the population of your fortress fluctuating a little more than you expected.
And not just because being without adequate protection leads to pregnancies.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:51 pm »

Building huge above ground castles can be fun. Use the -b- -C- menu. Don't forget that you can resize the construction with u, m, h, and k. Construct solid gold rooms for your favorite dwarves.

I once built a castle with 2000 stone blocks, one block at a time because I didn't realize that the tiles could be sized before they are placed... :-X

But like many of these guys said the real FUN is underground. Keep building your military and keep digging.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »

so are the cavens like... huge? as in, if i hit a level with one, am i likely to know as soon as i hit it, or are they smaller, so i should poke around on every level for a while?

Do poke around a little.  It's possible to dig straight down through a "solid" part of a cavern layer and never know it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz