Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine... but no MOSS?!?  (Read 966 times)

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine... but no MOSS?!?
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

So I found what seems to be the perfect embark site. There's two pillars of adamantine piercing the surface, with their cores already exposed (so no hidden fun stuff will bite me in the arse for digging it, and as a bonus I can use the hole in the middle for a drain), with the third un-breached adamantine spike only barely poking out of the magma sea, to be avoided until such a time as I am prepared to beat back the hoard. There's a good 5x5 pillar of rock that I dug a stairway down through to the magma sea... but there are only two cave levels, and one has no vegetation at all (though a very large lake, which I intend to use to make an underground tree farm), and the other is filled with GRASS. There's no moss to be found. My original idea was to just wall off and live underground right above the magma sea, but I'm at a loss with how to pasture animals that far down. Any tips?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine... but no MOSS?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:30 am »

Sounds like an interesting and very buggy site. I'd love to see that. Keep the save, sites like this area rare.

I'd keep mostly non-grazer animals, on solid rock. All types of birds are good as are cats, dog, Black bears, grizzly bears. These are the non-grazers which have the [PET] token by default in the raws (i searched), so no modding needed. Tigermen also are non-grazing pets, but they are sentient so cannot be butchered.

You can also keep wild herds of grazer animals, if not tamed, they do not need grass, but many natural animals will still breed if non-tame. Just note this will slow down or stop other wild-life entering the map.

Also, I'd suggest you find out what's below the Magma sea, could be anything, going by how odd your site is. If you don't have underground trees or plant's I don't think your tree-farm will work. Just hope there's at least 1 tile of moss somewhere.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:54:11 am »

Thing is, there ARE underground trees; there just isn't any MOSS. As far as I know, as long as a map has multiple pillars of adamantine, only ONE of them will cause hidden fun stuff if breached. I've already had to reclaim the fortress once, because I was a dumbass and didn't get a military going before the first goblin ambush; as a result I now have about 7 peaceful goblins in various locations that are willing to help fend off ambushers, and a whole bunch of dwarf corpses needing burial. I even saw three of them gang up and go toe-to-toe with a titan for a good 40 seconds before going down (after which lots of fun happened).

I'm at a complete loss as to how or why the world turned out the way it did.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:40 am »

I dunno, if by causing fun in the adamantine pillar you mean the stairways down, I've dfrevealed most every map I've embarked on and every pillar has that, at some varying depth.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:49 am »

I dunno, if by causing fun in the adamantine pillar you mean the stairways down, I've dfrevealed most every map I've embarked on and every pillar has that, at some varying depth.
This.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:56:22 am »

Caverns filled with nondescript "grass" is this bug - if you're seeing it in a world generated in version 0.31.25, upload a save file and I'll reopen the bug.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:13:25 pm »

yes, it is filled with nondescript "grass", and the version IS  31.25

The unique part about THIS map concerning the pillars is that the passage way down, the hollow centers, are already exposed to open air hence there's no way to "reveal" it... the same as I doubt I'll get the "praise the miners" dialog for finding adamantine because I already have. I did a dfreveal, and when unpausing the game the torrent of demons poured into the center of the unexposed pillar, as was expected. why they didn't try going down and coming back out the exposed shafts I have no clue.

Has anyone else had the experience of generating an embark with raw adamantine on the surface? especially one with the center already exposed?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:59:57 pm by Jarhyn »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:01 pm »

Several people have encountered bugged embarks with surface bluemetal, but not recently that I know of.
If you want to find a really good one, try searching for "Armok's beard".

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »

I honestly don't think I'd call it a bug, with surface adamantine; I'd call it a statistical outlier certainly. but are you sure it's a bug?

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

I thought i had a similar problem, a cavern system with only 1 layer and only blood thorns/grass in it. It happens because you breached the last cavern layer first. Dig upwards and you can find the others/get the different types of underground fungi.