Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications stack?  (Read 862 times)

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications stack?
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »

Two or Three-wide fortifications walls are not extra efficient over a moat?

Like:

At X distance from fortification you get Y chance to hit
X=1, Y=1
X=2, Y=0.95
X=3, Y=0.89
X=4, Y=0.84

If your moat is 4U wide and your wall 1U high, enemies will ALWAYS be at least 5U distance from the first fortification.

So:

D=Dwarf
F = Fortification
H = Wall
w = Water
G = Gobbo

Code: [Select]
DF
H    G
HwwwwHH
means:
Dwarf gets 1 chance to hit, goboo gets about 0.75. not much of a problem for the Gobbo as the dwarves get one by one and the gobbos comes in packs of 10 in sieges.

DFF
HH    G
HHwwwwHH
Now this is a Two-Layer Fortification, the Dwarf gets 0.95(1*0.95) chance to hit and the Gobbo 0.5025(0.75*0.67)

DFFF
HHH    G
HHHwwwwHH
Three Layer Fortress Defense, second only to magma. The Dwarf gets 0.855(1*0.95*0.90) hit chance and the Gobbo 0.3216(0.75*0.67*0.64) Hit chance.

OBS 1: The percentages would them be applied to the shotter skill and distance(i only considered distance in regards to fortification penality) and the Fortification Penality.
OBS 2: TLFD could also make the Dwarf unnable to see the Gobbo because of the floor behind the fortification.
OBS 3: I have not tested any of this, just tought that could work and im also asking if anyone have tested this before.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications stack?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:26 am »

You CANNOT shoot AT ALL through a fortification unless you are right next to it. Dumb the design down a bit and stop over-thinking it :-

DF G
HHwH
The above = 100% kill for dwarf, the goblin deals 0% damage. This is a ground-level defence though, if you want it up a level then :-
DF
HH G
HHwH
I guess you could have it over-hanging if you like, I prefer the fortifications to be in line with the wall below.

Making the water wider just impedes the dwarves from shooting, an extra thick fortification will stop them shooting out whatsover.

One thing someone suggested in another thread was "shutters" in from of the fortifications to block views outside sometimes (could stop dwarves getting scared, help encourage marksdwarves to reload). That would look like this (where B = Raising Bridge). remember this is a side view and the bridge would really be 10 units long, along the outside of the fortifications  :-

DFB
HHH G
HHHwH
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:26:41 am by Reelyanoob »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:15:41 am »

You CANNOT shoot AT ALL through a fortification unless you are right next to it.

Mmh? My marksdwarves squad begs to differ. Well, they WOULD, but it's kinda hard to talk with goblin arrows stuffed in the lungs and the brain...
The trolls and giant toads from last siege were easily dispatched, but the elite bowgob leading them to battle was a freaking sniper!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:33 am »

You CANNOT shoot AT ALL through a fortification unless you are right next to it.
Patently false. this can be demonstrated by elite bowgoblins quite readily. However, using a bait animal or two behind a wall of fortifications CAN siphon off a great number of arrows from less skilled goblins...
DF G
HHwH
The above = 100% kill for dwarf, the goblin deals 0% damage.
Provided the goblin isn't an elite bowgoblin, otherwise the dwarf is about to become swiss cheese a la railgun.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:39 am »

Fortifications besides those you are standing right next to require a skill check to successfully shoot through.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:42 am »

You CANNOT shoot AT ALL through a fortification unless you are right next to it. Dumb the design down a bit and stop over-thinking it :-
Your dwarves can't, but goblins and other enemies can.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »

Ok everyone thanks for clarifying that for me, I guess I haven't had to face elite bowgoblins yet, or they were gotten by my other traps. I guess those "shutters" would come in handy when I discovered that fact.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:05:48 pm »

As I understand it there's a penalty for shooting through a fortification if you're not standing next to it, dwarves and goblins (or other attackers).  But, the elite archers ignore this penalty.  Which results in dwarfkabobs despite the fortifications.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

Elite marksdwarves can definitely fire through fortifications at range.  I also wouldn't call the skill check a penalty for low skill archers since they are completely incapable of firing through a fortification without standing right next to it.