Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with my early militia.  (Read 480 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Problem with my early militia.
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »

I had decided to put my miners in a militia, since they were the strongest and would be the best at fighting using their picks.

I found a small group of bat people in a cavern. I told my miner-militia to attack, but they didn't use their picks. I set their weapon as pick, but they decided to try hand-to-hand combat instead.

Why didn't they use their picks? They used the shields that I assigned, but not the picks.

Now, the bat people invaded my fortress and killed off most of my dwarves and animals. How can I prevent this from happening again?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with my early militia.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »

Miners, woodcutters, and hunters have an invisible uniform that they use to equip their picks/axes/crossbows.
Don't put them in the military, and if you do don't count on them using their profession weapons.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »

Miners, woodcutters, and hunters have an invisible uniform that they use to equip their picks/axes/crossbows.
Don't put them in the military, and if you do don't count on them using their profession weapons.

wait, so there is no way to command my miners as a militia?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »

They will still work in the military, but the conflict between their militia uniform and civilian uniform will cause them to drop their pick when drafted. The pick is still "claimed" by their miner "uniform", so no other dwarf will use it either.
If you want miners in the military, first deactivate their mining labour before activating the militia.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

I don't quite follow...

can't I just leave them in their civilian clothing once drafted?

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:02:06 pm »

Before you draft them, go to their menu, to preferences(Which are the labors your dwarves are assigned to), and go up to "Mining", which should be in white, which contrasts with the grey text. Click the "Mining", and get out of the menu. It should be grey like the rest of the text.

After drafting your Miners, go to militia, assign pick to their uniforms, which will make them pick it up again.

You now have Miner Soldiers.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:05:25 pm »

Before you draft them, go to their menu, to preferences(Which are the labors your dwarves are assigned to), and go up to "Mining", which should be in white, which contrasts with the grey text. Click the "Mining", and get out of the menu. It should be grey like the rest of the text.

After drafting your Miners, go to militia, assign pick to their uniforms, which will make them pick it up again.

You now have Miner Soldiers.

Ah thanks. Not useful now, because I just got a migrant wave with 3 spearman and a maceman :D

Great for future reference though. Thanks.