Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No trees?  (Read 516 times)

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
No trees?
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:28 pm »

Okay, so here's the thing. I derped and didn't pick a site with trees. There's a brook nearby so I know there's an underground river. The wiki didn't say anything about underground rivers for the current version, so I'm wondering what level are underground rivers usually found.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No trees?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »

I think underground rivers don't exist at all in .31. The caverns can be a source of infinite water, but it's more in the form of a lake that automatically refreshes itself from off-map than a river most of the time (e.g. no directional flow). That's separate from whether there will be trees in the caverns, though, so to address your actual problem: Dig down. You'll hit the caverns eventually - could be 10 z, could be 110, but they're down there, and they almost always have mushroom trees.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »

Underground rivers are no more. Just dig down to the caverns and figure it out from there. If plants grow down there, trees will grow too.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »

There's a brook nearby so I know there's an underground river.

That is kind of an odd statement, because to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a connection between the 2?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.