Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [Game Over - Justice Prevails!]  (Read 34244 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [5/5] - Day 1
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:53 am »

You know lordnincompoop, and by this I mean no offence, because I think your a pretty cool guy, and I think it is a shame that you are not playing, because I would have liked to see how you go about things, but can you shut the hell up? No, not because I feel personally offended. Trust me, it will take a lot more then telling me I am playing a game wrong to get under my skin, but let us assume by some strange twist of nature I got lucky and managed to pick out the two scum, there is a 25% chance of guessing right anyway, and I voice my wild accusations. Now somebody reads my opinion, and is indifferent, but then reads that I am "being an idiot, and a jackass" and because of that I must be wrong, despite the logical falsity. They then go on to lose the game for the townies because you tainted their opinion. The inverse could also be true, that I am dead wrong, and because you convinced somebody that I must be wrong, the townies win despite having an inferior team.
I mean if your going to be an IC, then sure, give hints and tips and what not, but do you really see that post as anything constructive?

Then again, I could be wrong, and such advice is common towards newer players, and should that be the case I  humbly apologise, but surly  such a post could sway gameplay in ways not exactly balanced?
It might also help if we keep things in context, and add the second half of that quote. Just saying.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:35 am »

You know lordnincompoop, and by this I mean no offence, because I think your a pretty cool guy, and I think it is a shame that you are not playing, because I would have liked to see how you go about things, but can you shut the hell up?

No.

No, not because I feel personally offended.

Suuure.

Trust me, it will take a lot more then telling me I am playing a game wrong to get under my skin, but let us assume by some strange twist of nature I got lucky and managed to pick out the two scum, there is a 25% chance of guessing right anyway, and I voice my wild accusations. Now somebody reads my opinion, and is indifferent, but then reads that I am "being an idiot, and a jackass" and because of that I must be wrong, despite the logical falsity. They then go on to lose the game for the townies because you tainted their opinion. The inverse could also be true, that I am dead wrong, and because you convinced somebody that I must be wrong, the townies win despite having an inferior team.
I mean if your going to be an IC, then sure, give hints and tips and what not, but do you really see that post as anything constructive?

So, you're telling me to stay silent because of some statistical possibility. No to that.

You want me to give you a tip? Okay. I'll give you a tip.

Stop trying to play mindgames.

Then again, I could be wrong, and such advice is common towards newer players, and should that be the case I  humbly apologise, but surly  such a post could sway gameplay in ways not exactly balanced?
It might also help if we keep things in context, and add the second half of that quote. Just saying.

Regardless of context, two paragraphs rambling on about self-image do not belong in a constructive Mafia post.

And the only person that is required to be completely partial is the Mod. What I do is call people out for making mistakes, then have them fix them.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »

Oh, Max, when and if (and that's a small if) you do get lynched, you won't have a vengekill because you are scum.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:27 am »

He cast a vote for major_sephiroth, thinking I would support him in this act
I still think you will, because I still think he's scum.  You'll notice I have reasoning, indeed, an actual case backing my vote.
Summarise or link it for me, if you would.

Here you go:
So, major_sephiroth,

More words does not mean more information. That is a jarbled mess, not a response.
You however, have only defended yourself and made half-baked arguements based in fantasyland. Make some cohesive arguements, not blobs of hopeless accusation.
It is indeed a response, and a somewhat less jarbled mess than his previous posts and the closest thing to a cohesive argument he's  produced yet.  He's still dropping WiFoM like candy, but, as I said, it looks more like ignorance than scumtells to me. 

In light of this, I've taken a closer look at your responses:
Fourthly, my hammer-opening vote is more justified now. Read on.
So, you're either scum yourself, trying to convince us otherwise by saying you would have bandwagoned me, just scum, town misleading the rest of the town, or stupid town.
None of these options lead you to being a helpful townie.

My vote stays.
This is all the justification you provide for that vote.  I think he's fallen in the stupid town camp, so now I'm looking at what passes for a bandwagon in Vengeful, and as the second vote, and the one that's been attacking relatively weakly, you're the more suspicious of the two.

I'm going to be very  busy for the next two days.  I'll be back Sunday (possibly) or Monday (definitely).
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:21 pm »

Oh, Max, when and if (and that's a small if) you do get lynched, you won't have a vengekill because you are scum.

Gee, Supercharazad. Thanks for that key insightful statement. He's scum, ergo he's lying? This is a pretty petty attack against Max and it does nothing to encourage me to agree with you. Why the snipe against Max?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »

Gee, Supercharazad. Thanks for that key insightful statement. He's scum, ergo he's lying? This is a pretty petty attack against Max and it does nothing to encourage me to agree with you. Why the snipe against Max?

Because I think he's scum, and he threatened to vengekill me when and if he's lynched. I'm simply pointing out that scum don't get a vengekill in this game.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »

Votecount
Supercharazad - 2 - Max White, Think0028
Max White - 2 - major_sephiroth, Supercharazad
Think0028 - 0
Okami No Rei - 0
major_sephiroth - 1 - Okami No Rei
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »

Buh? I'm voting for major_sephiroth. That's the only red text I've put up so far.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »

Votecount
Supercharazad - 1 - Max White
Max White - 2 - major_sephiroth, Supercharazad
Think0028 - 0
Okami No Rei - 0
major_sephiroth - 2 - Okami No Rei, Think0028

My bad. Please feel free to point out any errors.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:48 pm »

major_sephiroth, two things:

1) You said you didn't like my post, and you'd have more later. It's later. Where's your post? I'm not going to argue with you about Max swimming in an ocean of WIFOM, but I do argue with your conclusions and would really like to see your reaction post.
2) This isn't accusatory, just wanted to point out you accidentally said Max White was 'stupid town' in your last post. While I'd agree with that statement (it's the bit right after you first quote Max White) I presume you mean stupid scum, as you refer to him as such later on.

Max White: Please please please don't wantonly hammer major_sephiroth just because you can. I think we still can have plenty more discussion.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:57 pm »

Max White: Please please please don't wantonly hammer major_sephiroth just because you can. I think we still can have plenty more discussion.

Agree. Don't hammer him yet, if he's town and vengekilled a townie, we'd lose.

Max: You're focusing on Okami, and yet you still vote for me. Why? What are your reasons?
You have no evidence against me, and yet you vote me. It just seems like you want me lynched for no reason. Except maybe on the offchance that I'd end up venging town, and you'd get an instawin.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »

And if he's scum, this could lead us to his scumpartner and actually give us a win. So don't hammer yet!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2011, 06:32:05 pm »

Don't worry, I will not. There is only really one person I'm sure of, and I'm currently voting for him. While I have a very strong hunch about Okami No Rei, it is subject to change during the voting process.
Agree. Don't hammer him yet, if he's town and vengekilled a townie, we'd lose.

Max: You're focusing on Okami, and yet you still vote for me. Why? What are your reasons?
You have no evidence against me, and yet you vote me. It just seems like you want me lynched for no reason. Except maybe on the offchance that I'd end up venging town, and you'd get an instawin.

I'm not focusing on Okami No Rei, I'm pointing him out as your scummy parter. Why?
Well firstly, if I had to choose between you and Okami No Rei, then you are a better target, for both reasons political and scumish.
*Flips coin*
So let;
so start with political.
-Two other people at least say they think you might be scum, so you are easier to remove than Okami. And once you are shown to be scum, my reasoning as to why both you and Okami will hold more merit in the eyes of others, therefore making it easier to get rid of Okami. Although one of those people is Okami, sooo that might very well change to major_sephiroth, depending on how voting goes.
-You are voting for me, and that is a threat to the town. If I do get voted out, and you were a townie, then that is game over, so whether you believe me or not when I say I am a townie, I know it is risky to vote me out, especially for the 6% ground we would make over the scum. And yes, I do realise that if you are a townie and are voted out then vengekill me, it is also the same story, but you make for far better scum then I do.
Onto scum reasoning.
-At one point you unvoted me because 'no scum hunting was going on' but then when I didn't change my vote you put it right back on. That looks like a scum trying to vote back against somebody putting pressure on, rather than somebody looking for scum. You thought to remove me from the game, then when you found you didn;t have enough steam to follow through you hoped that if you moved on then so would I nd you would be off the hook. When it didn't work you went right back to voting for me.
-You first voted for me just because I was inactive. Hell, we all know how tight this game is and how much pressure there is to not fuck up, but you were willing to not only place a vote on me, but carry through with it, until now.
-When I looked done for, I made it clear you were going with me, and Okami backed down, and even sided with me, then voted for who he hoped I would too. Incriminating for Okami, but it only works if you are scum, so it is equally incriminating for you.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2011, 03:10:58 am »

I'm not focusing on Okami No Rei, I'm pointing him out as your scummy parter. Why?
Well firstly, if I had to choose between you and Okami No Rei, then you are a better target, for both reasons political and scumish.
*Flips coin*
So let;
so start with political.
-Two other people at least say they think you might be scum, so you are easier to remove than Okami. And once you are shown to be scum, my reasoning as to why both you and Okami will hold more merit in the eyes of others, therefore making it easier to get rid of Okami. Although one of those people is Okami, sooo that might very well change to major_sephiroth, depending on how voting goes.
So, I'm easy to lynch... therefore I'm scum? BULLSHIT

-You are voting for me, and that is a threat to the town. If I do get voted out, and you were a townie, then that is game over, so whether you believe me or not when I say I am a townie, I know it is risky to vote me out, especially for the 6% ground we would make over the scum. And yes, I do realise that if you are a townie and are voted out then vengekill me, it is also the same story, but you make for far better scum then I do.
You're voting me because I have a vote on you. That's called an OMGUS.

Onto scum reasoning.

-At one point you unvoted me because 'no scum hunting was going on' but then when I didn't change my vote you put it right back on. That looks like a scum trying to vote back against somebody putting pressure on, rather than somebody looking for scum. You thought to remove me from the game, then when you found you didn;t have enough steam to follow through you hoped that if you moved on then so would I nd you would be off the hook. When it didn't work you went right back to voting for me.
Actually, no. I forgot taricus was on replace and picked him with random.org. Then, you started looking hella scummy to me again.
Don't pretend you know what the scum thinks, unless you are scum yourself.

-You first voted for me just because I was inactive. Hell, we all know how tight this game is and how much pressure there is to not fuck up, but you were willing to not only place a vote on me, but carry through with it, until now.
|You did nothing at all. You didn't answer any questions, and now you look scummy to me so I'm keeping my vote on you.

-When I looked done for, I made it clear you were going with me, and Okami backed down, and even sided with me, then voted for who he hoped I would too. Incriminating for Okami, but it only works if you are scum, so it is equally incriminating for you.
Right, so because Okami kind of looked sort of like he was defending me, I'm automatically scum? BULLSHIT.

Answers in green. By the way, your reasons are bullshit, in case I didn't make that clear enough.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2011, 04:08:13 am »

Like I said, the first two were political reasons, to differ between you and Okami for who to vote for, not why you are scum. If I believe you are both scum, why try and get rid of Okami when I have not only less evidence, but less support from fellow townies. They in no way prove you are scum, but they answer your question of
Max: You're focusing on Okami, and yet you still vote for me. Why?

So that should be telling you exactly what you need to know. No, being the easier of two targets does not make you scum, but I only have one vote, so for the first two reasons, you are it! As for this OMGUS, well maybe, but it is not my only reason to vote for you, and if I am going to get rid of somebody, it might as well also be the one trying to attack me. It would be OMGUS if the fact that you were voting for me was my only reason. This is not a defensive vote, but an offensive one, the fact that it might get one guy off my back is a deal sweetener.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19