Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [Game Over - Justice Prevails!]  (Read 34167 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [Game Over - Justice Prevails!]
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »

Welcome to Beginner's Vengeful Mafia. What's that, you ask?

At its heart, mafia is a game of investigation and deception. The town use questioning and observation to root out the scum, who use mimickry and misdirection to look like town. When all the scum are dead or there's as many scum as town, town or scum wins, respectively.

Beginner's games are designed for newer players in an effort to help them learn to play and play well. Most notably, you'll have the assistance of ICs, experienced players who can give good advice and lead by example.

Finally, vengeful games are considerably different from normal ones, but nonetheless maintain those core attributes of questioning town trying to root out deceitful scum. They're far smaller, faster, and usually more intense than larger, longer games.

More specifically...

Special Rules:
1. There is no time limit on the day phase- when the majority of players vote someone, that person is hammered and therefore lynched. The mod may break deadlocks in the bizarre instance that it becomes necessary. Note that hammers are irreversible; if someone is hammered but has a vote removed before their death can be processed, they are still hammered.

2. There is no night phase. When a player is lynched, they must post their role PM and, if the game is still going, it proceeds directly to the next day. The mod will do this if they happen to get around to it before the lynchee. Note that the mafia has no NK and cannot directly kill at all.

3. On the first day, and only the first day, if a townie is lynched, they may instantly kill one player using a vengekill. Scum never get a vengekill. Talking between the hammer and the vengekill is allowed, but the hammerer should be brief. They may give their reasoning for the hammer and perhaps make related comments, but their next and last post should really contain their vengekill decision. Lingering in dead-but-hasn't-vengekilled territory to ask questions or make statements is not allowed.

4. There are three vanilla townies and two scum, one of which is the Godfather. The godfather's only special ability is that if they are lynched, the scumteam loses. This does not apply to vengekills.

5. Active, nonplaying ICs will be on hand to help you. They will function much like powerless, immortal players- they cannot vote or be killed, never have roles, and so forth. They are here to help you, however, so heeding their advice is recommended.

While not a rule, do bear in mind that the game is constantly near victory for one team or the other. Take care, as there aren't many second chances.

General Rules:
-Votes, Unvotes, and Vengekills must be in red.
-No PMing other players. If you are scum, you will have access to a scumchat. You may PM the mod with game-related questions.
-No editing of posts, for any reason.
-No quoting role PMs, except for once you've been killed.
-Play to win! It's disrespectful and unfair to both your teammates and adversaries to give up while there's any chance at all of aiding your team.

If you still don't understand, join anyway and we'll teach you. Numerous experienced, helpful players are on hand for anything from explaining acronyms to the nuances of why a certain strategy works or doesn't.

Players: [5/5]
-Supercharazad
-Max White
-Taricus
-Okami No Rei
-major_sephiroth

IC: [1/1+]
-lordnincompoop

Frequently Asked Questions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Resources:

Our own Bay12 Mafia tutorial
The Notable Games archive. Read a famous game from start to finish! Learn some Mafia history.
The Mafiascum wiki. Lots of theory, terminology, and game analysis.
An Interactive Flash tutorial by one of the Mafiascum.net people. Helpful visualization!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:40:16 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [0/5]
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:18:24 am »

Posting to follow. (Maybe inning later, but only when more players are needed.)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [0/5]
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »

I'm very interested in this game.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [1/5]
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:52 am »

Well, I have a LOT more time on my hands than I did, so I'll be using my INternet a bit more.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [1/5]
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:23:35 am »

Also, this looks like it'll be a VERY short game. If town dies and venges a town, the game ends.

It's like MYLO except on the first day XD

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [2/5]
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty much MYLO or possibly MYLO at all times. The game can't even last longer than three game Days, and is one or two under almost all circumstances.

Which isn't to say you can't argue as long as you like about it on each Day, but with only five players it's usually easier to come to a consensus.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 [2/5]
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:30 pm »

Urgh. I'm sorry. I'm too sick for another game of mafia. Maybe some other time. Out.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 (In Singups) [1/5]
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

Understood. Of course, I'm not sure when this will actually get started, so if you still want to play once you're better, you might still have the chance.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Bleh, we need more players.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:53:48 am »

I shall join, for the glory that is the hunt!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Vengeful Mafia 1 (In Singups) [2/5]
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:29:13 pm »

Why not. I'm in.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I was gonna celebrate having 60% of our players, but "2 spots left" sounds more impressive. "We've got three people" is never to be uttered.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Too late then... :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

okami_no_rei

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile

Interested.

EDIT: Stupid force of habit gave me nocaps and underscores in my handle unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:03:55 pm by okami_no_rei »
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile

Much better. In.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19