Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you cultivate grass for pastures?  (Read 985 times)

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you cultivate grass for pastures?
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »

I found a beautiful embark site at the junction of three rivers. It's got a fantastic spire with cliffs and waterfalls. And it's in a badland biome. There is not a blade of grass (let alone a tree).

Is there any way to inspire grazable plants to grow in a badland? Can I irrigate?

I fear I'm doomed to placing pastures in the caverns.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Can you cultivate grass for pastures?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »

Breach the caverns and reseal them. Then dig out some large rooms in the soil. They'll grow cave fungus and such that you can pasture grazer animals on. It does take awhile to start up though.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »

Oh cool. Just to be sure I don't screw it up:

Will the cave grasses grow only in Dark, Subterranean tiles?
Do I need to irrigate?
Does clay count as soil for this purpose?
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »

1. Yes, only subterranean tiles.
2. No, but it might speed things up a bit.
3. Yes, it does.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »

Thanks for the quick answers. Here's another one I discovered when I started digging around in my new site. I was shaping some earth and moving some ramps and such. I noticed one of the ramps was green. Sure enough, it's growing some surface grass. I guess grass can grow in any soil tiles that are uncovered.

I have not seen any showing up on the tiles that started out exposed, but they are growing in tiles that I've exposed by digging.

To anyone else with the same question, you can channel out your pasture. As long as you're exposing soil tiles, grass will grow.