Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hell Civ  (Read 2351 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Hell Civ
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »

If I add [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5] to a creature, then make their Entity [LAYER_LINKED], will they only show up in hell?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Civ
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:36 pm »

I think so. That would be epic!  :D

But they'd be killed in world gen by demons, wouldn't they? Anyways, make it so you can trade with them  :P

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

You'd just need to make them tough enough to take on a demon... maybe they WOULD be demons, even in name, but not randomly generated.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »

You'd just need to make them tough enough to take on a demon... maybe they WOULD be demons, even in name, but not randomly generated.
Make them poison and fire immune, so they won't be killed fast too much. Make them have powerful natural weapons, like a punch that is extremely overpowered. Maybe boiling blood/ichor.

No breath weapons, as it'd be useless against demons. Make them always friendly, "Hello dwarves! Finally, a friendly face. Would you like some hellshrooms?"

If possible, let them trade. I'm not sure it is possible though....  :-\

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »

Hmm, you bring up an interesting point with the "Hellshrooms"

It might be necessary to mod in various food-sources for the deep-deeps.  I don't think there are any in vanilla, and it seems that civs only grow and therefore eat crops that grow where they live.

I could always give them tags so they don't need to eat or drink anything, but that's less viscerally satisfying than making hell produce food for them to eat.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »

Make them poison and fire immune, so they won't be killed fast too much. Make them have powerful natural weapons, like a punch that is extremely overpowered.

Name their military leader "Falcon."

I am a bit curious about this myself.  If not a full-fledged civilization, I'd be curious if I could get some plants growing down there.  I'll slap together some test raws for !!SCIENCE!! and give it a try.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:48:35 pm »

I've been meaning to use the Carpippheleagerabold for something. Let's see what happens.

They have a Minotaur's starting abilities on steroids (made them all Legendary Wrestlers), jacked up mental and physical attributes, and [PRONE_TO_RAGE:100]. To even out the playing field against the countless hordes, I gave them what I hope is demon dissolving blood. It's a combination of Helmet Snake venom and Gnomeblight'e effects with the severity of each part of the syndrome set to 1000, the start to 0 and peak to 1.

Biome is set to SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM:5:5. The entity is named ABYSS and set as Layer_Linked.

Here we go.

Well, the first world gen crashed Dwarf Fortress fifty years in. Let's try that again.
Okay, a small world worked without crashing. Let's see if a bigger one will work.
A Medium sized world managed to get past fifty years this time. I finally had it cancel the world gen history around 165 or so though since it really slowed to a crawl, which only happened around the thirty year mark. Something's definitely going on down there. It took probably two or three times as long as usual to generate that world.

Based on a few world gens, it doesn't seem like creatures generated in the underworld appear in Legends mode unless they escape to the surface. There may be a way around this. Otherwise, there's no way to know if they're thriving down there or not.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »

Although it won't show you where they live, Runehack would let you wander around in Adventurer mode and look beneath the surface to see if any creatures are down there.  I've found subterranean Drow civs with it before.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »

Although it won't show you where they live, Runehack would let you wander around in Adventurer mode and look beneath the surface to see if any creatures are down there.  I've found subterranean Drow civs with it before.
You could have a fortress dig into the curious structure. Abandon, and come back in adventure mode with a band of 20 soldiers, and pull out the sword. Take out the demons, and go down. You might die.

Or, you could kill the demons in fortress mode, then go down. Explore Hell, and find the People of the Abyss.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:13 pm »

Check those raws.  [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM:5:5] is illegal.

I am trying an experiment with the Demon race from Genesis.  I have added two lines to their Creature file:

[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]

And changed a few things in their entity file:

[LAYER_LINKED] - Presumably this will place them at the hell layer, due to above
[BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM:12] - Should make them spread through the underground if they find an escape from hell.
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE] - Maybe they find a way out from the underground, too?

At any rate, my generation cycle is zooming in on quite a few caves.  None are called "Demon Cave of Suchandsuchingoblin", but I'm hopeful.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:30:01 pm by Jeoshua »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »

>.>
<.<
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »

This is indeed a great project.

Imagine their soldiers. They are losing a battle, and can easily escape:

Lieutenant: "MEN! WE NEED TO RETREAT!"
Army: "HELL!"
Lieutenant:"NO YOU IDIOTS! WE NEED TO RETREAT!"
Army: "HELL!"
Lieutenant: *facepalm*

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »

Okay well the world crashed at year 739, a few years before I had scheduled it to stop.  This isn't related to the Hell Demons, tho, I don't think.  I've been having those problems whenever I have civs reproducing.  I have been genning a large world with many many civs... I think it's a buffer overflow of the history (over 2GB of memory usage).

Going for 500 years right now.

The game is still zooming in on the Cave of Taitohorna... I believe that's Finnish so it must have been the Nords which named it.  Thing is, it's about 2 miles offshore, so NO civ should have been close enough to name it.  Maybe someone crawled through the underground to name it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:33:47 pm by Jeoshua »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 08:43:52 pm »

Well I had in mind using Dfmode to swap an Demon adventurer who is in hell over to fort mode thus giving people the ability to dig up. Giving demons no feed and drink can lead to just expansion and waiting until you have enough (De)men to properly retire.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:26 pm »

Worldgen stopped at year 500, right on schedule.  6184 historical entities, which is pretty high for this generation.  I have high hopes that LegendsViewer will tell me something good.
Pages: [1] 2 3