Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves enjoy the slaughter of prisoners  (Read 1705 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Dwarves enjoy the slaughter of prisoners
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »

It just came to mind that massive goblin-murdering arenas would be much more useful if spectating dwarves would get a happy though from enemies being slaughtered for their enjoyment.

Some thoughts...
- Caged enemies would be marked as prisoners, and dwarves would not run from them, but would get happy thoughts from their injuries
- If a prisoner was to attack a dwarf, he would lose prisoner status and be treated as an enemy
- Perhaps more drawn-out injuries before death would result in more happiness
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves enjoy the slaughter of prisoners
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »

Actually, that would be exactly counter to what happens now.  Dwarves are disturbed by the sight of death.  It gives them unhappy thoughts to be living in a world with that much blood.  They CAN become desensitized to it, but it never piques their fancy in this way.  Nor do I think it should.

Theres already enough reasons for players to be cruel.  No need to reward them for it.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »

It just came to mind that massive goblin-murdering arenas would be much more useful if spectating dwarves would get a happy though from enemies being slaughtered for their enjoyment.

We don't all agree that the game mechanics ought to encourage this kind of thing.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »

Actually, that would be exactly counter to what happens now.  Dwarves are disturbed by the sight of death.  It gives them unhappy thoughts to be living in a world with that much blood.  They CAN become desensitized to it, but it never piques their fancy in this way.  Nor do I think it should.

Theres already enough reasons for players to be cruel.  No need to reward them for it.

Oh, they're disturbed by the death of other races as well? That changes everything, actually. I always assumed they were cold-hearted (elf) murderers... Perhaps I must study dwarven psychology further.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

They're disturbed by the death of neutrals, as their ethics say that killing them is "UNTHINKABLE".

Which is very counter to the way many of the psychopaths who play this game play them, killing every elf comming to trade with MAGMA!  I laugh when they cause tantrum spirals due to stuff like this and wonder "Why."

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:26:43 pm »

Yeah... this suggestion comes off to me more of 'sadistic' then dwarven and it crosses a line in my opinion.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:35:30 pm »

Oh, they're disturbed by the death of other races as well? That changes everything, actually. I always assumed they were cold-hearted (elf) murderers... Perhaps I must study dwarven psychology further.
Dwarfy ethics and dwarven ethics are two very different things.

Notice that in DF2010 Toady took a potshot at dwarfy-ness by making dead bodies rot to "skeletons" rather than directly to bones, forcing the involvement of the butcher.  That in turn forced dwarfy players to respect dwarven ethics regarding dead sentients, denying the ability to make kobolds and goblins into practice bolts.

Which is very counter to the way many of the psychopaths who play this game play them, killing every elf comming to trade with MAGMA!  I laugh when they cause tantrum spirals due to stuff like this and wonder "Why."
Psychopath Defamation League on Line 2...

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarven ethics change over time to better align with how the player plays. This would actually give some players a reason to play longer, to watch their fort change until it was just as insane as them. With enough major differences, the dwarven civ could first exile your fort and even end up declaring war on it.

But I'm with the others, I'd rather not see this be the default.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarven ethics change over time to better align with how the player plays. This would actually give some players a reason to play longer, to watch their fort change until it was just as insane as them.

I am interested in this idea, and I would like to discuss it further. So you are suggesting that say, an entire fort that has been starving for a year may turn to consuming sapients and change the ETHIC to PERSONAL_MATTER. Correct? Also, would this change be temporary or permanent or temporary for certain ethics?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 05:13:42 pm »

That in turn forced dwarfy players to respect dwarven ethics regarding dead sentients, denying the ability to make kobolds and goblins into practice bolts.
Well, unless you go out of your way to either chop the limbs off before death or blow them off the torso through sheer force of impact. Between DF's complexity and the players' ingenuity, there are days when Toady must utterly despair.

I do like the idea of changing ethics, and perhaps changing dwarven personalities to match. A temporary change from unthinkable to some form of acceptable could possibly cause the act to become even more strictly punished than before as a kind of backlash against the idea. Dwarven justice doesn't get more strict than a hammering, but shunning the family or friends of the dwarf in question could be an option. This would work especially well if Toady brings factions and loyalties into the fortress game.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »

As to ethics being variable over time, due to environmental concerns, I say "yes".  Imagine an elven community, on the brink of death due to starvation, yet surrounded by fruit trees they must "kill" to survive.

Their ethics would say killing those plants were "unthinkable", but their stomachs would say "FOOD!"

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29:13 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarven ethics change over time to better align with how the player plays. This would actually give some players a reason to play longer, to watch their fort change until it was just as insane as them.

I am interested in this idea, and I would like to discuss it further. So you are suggesting that say, an entire fort that has been starving for a year may turn to consuming sapients and change the ETHIC to PERSONAL_MATTER. Correct? Also, would this change be temporary or permanent or temporary for certain ethics?
If they continued to require sapients for food maybe it would eventually change from necessity to something they enjoy?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 12:23:30 am »

I support the initial proposal.  Then we can say:

DF: making massive goblin-murdering arenas more useful.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:12:17 am »

I support the initial proposal.  Then we can say:

DF: making massive goblin-murdering arenas more useful.

Seconded!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:49 am »

Of course, seeing goblins go "WHEEEE" all the way down a glass shaft straight through the dining room doesn't bother them, as long as they don't get to witness the "EEEEESPLAT" part.
Pages: [1] 2