Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wanna something cool?  (Read 1704 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Wanna something cool?
« on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Where this whole DF thingie, idea maybe kinda started from...

These are the old ideas about civs..." class="bbc_link" target="_blank">...

And the world

Old Armok  

screens
Old Three-
Toe
story

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Wanna something cool?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Any but. Didn't you it won? Freely?
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

These used to be linked in the dev notes, and probably are.   But it's no secret that DF came from Armok's ideals; given it's a sequel of sorts.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

Its no secret but not something everyone sees ever and it gives you a great idea of what thoughts and ideas have evolved to get us where we are today.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

He he, I actually wrote that one, after TT played a game and sent me some screenshots.  Where are the editor screenshots?  I thought you were playing the editor today.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

So that's what the old Armok game looked like...   I'd never seen it before.

Wowza.

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

I actually have played the first Armok, probably around 2001-2002? Or should I say "played". I couldn't figure it out at all.

--Eino

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>He he, I actually wrote that one, after TT played a game and sent me some screenshots.  Where are the editor screenshots?  I thought you were playing the editor today.</STRONG>

I am but....HAHAHAHAHAHA nothing worth posting yet!
I spent an hour playing with hair...
Funny thing is if I change the resolution to anything but 640 the editor option disapeers....lmao?!

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

Yeah, I remember playing the original Slaves to Armok game myself several years ago.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise when somebody posted a link to its sequel here about a year and a half ago on another forum I frequent.   :)

By the way, for anyone curious who doesn't know, the Armok page (along with the final release download) is indeed still available:
http://www.bay12games.com/armok/

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Janus ]

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Hmmmm i looked here for a manual to using the editors  http://web.archive.org/web/20041015211209/www.bay12games.com/zonkmanual/

no go do you remember if zonk ever got to doing that part toady?

Imma go thru the archives some more...

A very detailed system too grasp and people say DF has a steep learning curve.
for those interested a little info...http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000187

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: I3erent ]

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

Ah, the manual...When I did that, I was like, 14 years old, and it shows..however, it seems like somehow the formatting is very messed up somehow...On the offline version I did, there weren't "weird"symbols around the text. Oh well, I was quite active then, Zonk' Survivor Mode is named after me.
Anyway, on the DF being the sequel to Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, I might be wrong but I remember that Toady decided to abandon the project since it was too complex/ambitious to keep working on - however, since he's a really cunning man, he thought that if he called DF "Slaves to Armok II", that would make it look like like STOA was actually a "real"complete game...when it's really NOT. Though it's pretty enjoyable, I remember playing some weird creatures, the editors were flexible enough to make rhinoceroses, tigers and horrors.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

EDIT: Posted twice by mistake, sorry.

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Zonk ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Im tryin to figure it out cant seem to save the files tho...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

This reminds me of some of the early VR helmet games.
igless

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

Toad you still have the editor docs? I foound a reference to them in an old post but...the link is dead.

Just figured out how to load a model, kind of I guess the mdl's you load....

Pages: [1] 2