Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to make a machine that spawns water from nothing? (Windtrap)  (Read 2142 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile

I was wondering if it is possible to make a machine, powered by energy (wind mill), that spawns out water similar to what a pump does (except it comes from thin air, and it spawns it very very slowly)

This is basically to portray the Windtrap machines in the Dune universe, where water is a rarity.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to make a machine that spawns water from nothing? (Windtrap)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:10:57 am »

Anything dealing with energy is absolutely impossible at this point.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:49 am »

Damn... :-\

I guess the only way to make it is via a processing/crafting reaction from a material? Or wait... that'd make a barrel or bucket of water.. hmm... ???
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:22 am »

Damn... :-\

I guess the only way to make it is via a processing/crafting reaction from a material? Or wait... that'd make a barrel or bucket of water.. hmm... ???

cant you still make a pond and just have them dump the buckets?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:05:30 am »

No, as you can't actually produce water in a reaction. You can only produce an alcohol called water.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:39 am »

Rats!  :P

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:37:27 am »

Hey, I can't imagine the water that thing produces tasting too fresh, so a barrell full of "water" that isn't really water doesn't sound so bad.  Plus, it will fulfill the requirements of any Dwarves that demand alcohol over water.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:44:01 am »

Hey, I can't imagine the water that thing produces tasting too fresh, so a barrell full of "water" that isn't really water doesn't sound so bad.  Plus, it will fulfill the requirements of any Dwarves that demand alcohol over water.

I suppose that is true - it still doesn't quite achieve the 7/7 cavern I was hoping I'd be able to make. ;)

Is there any way to time or limit a workshop reaction, such as "Make alcohol named water" (As in - "May only be used once a week, month etc..", to balance it out)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:45:27 am »

Don't quote me on this, but I think if you give it the CLEANING skill, it will be done automatically.

Or something like that, I'm not sure.  I've seen things be automatic before.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:27:17 pm »

just throwing ideas out there as i dont know if this is possible but you could probably make a custom building that needs power and has a time penalty so that it takes longer to make anything in it.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:59 pm »

just throwing ideas out there as i dont know if this is possible but you could probably make a custom building that needs power and has a time penalty so that it takes longer to make anything in it.
No possible.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:04:13 pm »

The only foolproof way to slow a reaction down is to require enough reagents to clutter the workshop. To make it useable once per time period requires some pressure on the player, as there's no way to have a cooldown on a reaction. By 'pressure' I mean inflicting temporary unconsciousness on the dwarf doing the reaction, so that overusing the reaction results in half your dwarves being slumped all over the fortress.

I've seen things be automatic before.
There's a tag to do that directly, no workarounds required. [AUTOMATIC].
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

You can make a workshop and a custom reaction that fills a pot or barrel with a drinkable substance. For a reagent it would require an empty pot/barrel. You can make it use the brewing skill. You can even have it work automatically, so it will automatically produce this so long as empty pots/barrels are available.

If you want to slow down the production you could require that many reagents be used so that the workshop is cluttered. They do not need to be consumed, just used in the reaction with the preserve reagent token, same as the barrel.

Take a look at the reaction to produce mead. Instead of mead you could have it produce plump helmet wine or whatever else you want.