Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Books  (Read 3725 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:38:28 am »

Just an aside - bees make wax and that should eventually lead to candles, solving the darkness problem which has so far been ignored.

I otherwise tend to generally agree with Kohakus point of view, but I think the tiny gimmicks permitting you to do almost anything in an infinite variety of styles do add something to the spirit and enjoyment of the game. All within reason...

I don't mean to be too harsh on bees, as I was just trying to make a point, and that was probably a more clear example than others, however, the problem is not so much that it duplicates the function of other resources, but that it is difficult to get honey in large enough quantities to be meaningful, and all the resources that actuall get replaced are so absurdly abundant that they don't need replacement.

Animals that can be butchered replicate farming vegetables very well, with the exception of not being brewable.  You can replace farming with herding and butchering, and people used to do this on glacier embarks, if you just accept the penalties for alcohol dependency going unfulfilled.  This is because you can scale out butchering animals to cover all your needs, and it has micromanagement, but it's potentially tolerable levels of micromanagement. 

Bees just plain can't support a fortress.

I love the new ceramics that were added, and called for their addition when I first joined... but everything they can do can be done by either wood or stone.   If you want to make an earthenware large pot, you need to glaze it first, which means you need three pieces of wood and some clay to make an ash-glazed large pot, and it takes 2 jobs.  It can contain 6 items.  This replaces the function of a wooden barrel, which takes 1 piece of wood, takes one job, and can contain 10 items.

Wooden barrels beat glazed earthenware large pots, hands down. 

In fact, you can also just make the stupid pot out of stone, which, again, you have way too much of, anyway. 

Sure, you can decorate the pots for more dwarfbucks of value, but you can get that with all the stupid microcline mugs you can vomit out of your workshops endlessly, and that value is infinitely fungible. 

Again, I love the ceramics, and will play with them regardless of them not having much actual use or function... but they serve no real gameplay role that isn't already filled by something that is much "cheaper" to produce because those resources are already massively overabundant.

Almost every need that building something can solve goes through one of the true major resources:
  • Stone - Functionally free and unlimited.  Nothing competes with stone, because you're desperate to get rid of this resource.  (Hence, the suggestions to make stone harder to obtain or use.)
  • Glass - A wildcard, glass is money for nothing if you have sand and a magma trench set up for it.  Otherwise, it's useless for anything but random mandates, and you should just stick to something else.  Sadly, it mostly replicates stone, anyway, which makes those functions useless, because stone has functionally negative value, and anything that gets rid of stone is a positive thing, even compared to producing items from nothing like glass.  Take all the windows, trap components, and glass gems you want, though...
  • Farmables - Infinitely extensible, and virtually free.  You can farm all the food you want in a tiny starting farm plot.  Pig tails are easy enough to grow that you should never really hit a limit on how much pig tail cloth you can produce, you just hit occasional snags in the production line.  It's hard to compete with this, because it's so easy (hence, Improved Farming.)  There are also animal products like eggs, which are laughably overabundant, and milk, which is laughably scarce.  Use eggs as a replacement for food all you want, but never use milk, it's not worth it.  See the problem?
  • Wood - Infinitely renewable, but functionally limited at any given point in time, regardless of the elven annoyance, by how much land you can control that is dedicated to farming underground trees, or that you are willing to risk sending woodcutters out to harvest.  Wood is more scarce than stone or farmables, so you want to use stone whenever you can, but less valuable than
  • Metal - Difficult to put together, metal is still necessary for making weapons and armor, and maybe a couple other things that aren't replicated by something higher up this list.  Metal is generally finite, except for good ol' goblinite and the scraps the caravans will toss you, and even then, it's more like a trickle compared to the renewability of trees.  You want to conserve your metals, but in the right situations, you'll have an iron vein with enough ore to last you well past your immediate needs, allowing you to splurge on things like steel thrones for your duke or gold (nugget) statues for your dining hall.
  • Whatever else you have - Unimportant because it isn't as scalable as those other things.  Sure, you can have a few of them as a gimmick, but they don't really become a serious part of your fortress economy unless you actively handicap yourself to only use those types of products, even though you know there are better ones made from the resources above.  Using bees for food?  Not nearly as efficient as quarry bush leaves.

You know, I just remembered, I was intending to set this very argument up in its own suggestion thread, and use it as a way of tying together several different suggestions to balance the game's resource management out...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 09:53:30 am »

Just thinking, why not let players write in books? It could help succession games, letting players write manuals for their fortresses.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:03 am »

Just thinking, why not let players write in books? It could help succession games, letting players write manuals for their fortresses.

The problem with that is that it serves an odd meta-purpose.

Engravings can tell bits of history for the player, but they serve a purpose to the dwarves, as well, as a piece of artwork and beautification of their fortress.

Getting dwarves to make books as memos for the convenience of the voices in their heads that tell them what stones to excavate seems... odd.

You can leave notes on the map for yourself for free to tell players things.  You can leave traffic designations, which perform a meta-function of making dwarves prefer to stand in certain places.  These are all meta-game functions that don't cost any in-game resources to perform because they don't have a physical impact on the gameworld itself.  Making an in-game cost to a meta-game benefit breaks with the verisimilitude that Toady tries so hard to create.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:55 am »

Perhaps books would serve much the same purpose as engravings? Some basic information like 'The Songs of Cats: this is a finely written book of poems concerning plump helmets and goblins. It is bound with dog leather and its pages are papyrus' These could be made either by a profession like other goods (which I don't like the idea of) an appointed noble (which I don't like), perhaps an immigrant noble (philosopher!) or perhaps a dwarf would write them through strange moods (It is bound with dwarf leather!). More utilitarian books could be written to train specific skills, such as manuals on wrestling or blacksmithing. The amount of knowledge gained by reading these books would be proportional to the skill  the writer had in writing and the skill the book was intended to teach. Likewise, the entertainment books would provide a happy thought to dwarves that read them....providing they were of high enough quality. If they are low enough quality, this might be negligible or even negative. There could also be bookkeeping records, punishment records kept by the sheriff to record crimes and punishments, etc. I don't think there would be need to have more then one of the bookeepr's/sheriff's record books though. The loss of the books would wipe the records though, so if a kobold stole them, or a visiting human diplomat/spy swiped them, you would have to get a new one.

It would definitely be something to look forward to when dwarves start buying, selling, and consuming commodities. I don't see entertainment books doing a whole lot by themselves, but as one of many things for dwarves to amuse themselves with along with puzzleboxes and flutes, when they are implemented in a more meaningful way. I do think that manuals would be a welcome addition for training, at least in order to get recruits knowledgeable enough about the basics so that you don't have to keep having to find places to get rid of all those -granite statues- until your mason becomes good enough to make decent quality items. This and some sort of master/apprentice system would be nice to keep a skilled workforce in place. Books could be stored in chests cabinets or with some sort of bookshelf. I don't see libraries becoming a huge space issue, considering how much space a book would take up, considering how many items can already be fitted into chests, barrels, bins, etc.

Just my 2 cents, I am all for books!

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:02 pm »

I know this had been mentioned in another book related thread, if not this one, but I really think that an important part of introducing books is introducing literacy as a skill. It's relevant to the time period, not everyone in the middle ages could have read and not everyone read to the same skill. Further more, some way of tracking language would be very useful, perhaps ending up that the very high class, noble or history related books are written in 'high dwarven' (Latin) and records, ledgers and trade accounts being written in 'common dwarven'. This could be generated per civ, or hard coded to each race, I think either would be workable. As well, other races' texts being harder to understand (different language or just a different dialect) if you steal their books in adventure mode.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »

Perhaps literacy could be tied to caste or position? The king could have a very high literacy be default?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »

Literacy was suggested with regards to adventure mode - where you have to train a literacy skill to be able to do things like read signs that give important information, or the like.

A literacy skill that wouldn't make you flash and give economy exemption for being a "legendary reader" could be a potential solution.  Just make it a skill nobles love to train in, and that most workers don't have time for.

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »

Yeah, we're rehashing a lot of what came up in the last books thread. I know that scribes as a job, trading in books, books being used by dwarves to obtain new skills, books being related to how magic works, books being important in alchemy, books being used as a fort narrative, and much more came up in there.

In light of some new thoughts on schools/skill training, I do think that once books go in, dwarves should not be able to do a skilled job without either learning from someone who does or reading a book.

I think the idea of introducing literacy as a skill might be new, and I'd be all for it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:05:54 pm by harborpirate »

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 02:14:43 pm »

Perhaps it could be an attribute, rather than a skill like masonry or carpentry. It would be defaulted to zero and would improve over time based on activities undertaken by the dwarf, perhaps with some bonus to improvement if undertaken while still a child?

An idle dwarf could (if so inclined by personality or status) choose to read instead of talking to other dwarves when idle or on break. Perhaps a noble, such as the bookkeeper (or the philosopher if he comes back) could also hold 'Teach literacy' jobs, with idle reading inclined dwarves and especially children, would try and attend. This would have to be a low priority task to attend, so that only the long term idle (the nobles and elites) have any chance of greatly improving literacy via tutoring from the bookkeeper.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:49 pm »

Literacy would also introduce the Fort where you shun the illiterate/literate & only have your fortress filled with the illiterate/literate, respectively.

Perhaps when it's harder to make Dwarves happy they could have a favorite book, & having their favorite book in stock at the library gives a happy thought. Maybe a less intelligent Dwarf would like a copy of "Big 'uns", while a technical minded Dwarf would like a copy of "Smithing Techniques", and a dwarf given to flights of fancy would like epic stories like "Urist McAdventurer & the giant Pig Tail Stalk".

& Perhaps when Dwarves go into a fey mood & create a item foreign to their culture They'd write down some plans for how to create the regular version of it so that we could make chausses, or scimitars. Nobles, as a demand, could also finance books to be made of certain events.
The list of dwarves able to go into a fey mood would expand by them being able to write out new techniques for cheese making/Architecture/Farming they just thought of.

OMG. Dyslexia could be a random attribute to give. It would also be interesting to receive a dyslexic engraver/scribe & be unable to tell what they are trying to write down.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »

i support books and libraries for one reason: it is an important part of civilization, and should be included. now, while dwarf mode wouldnt gain much from it, adventure mode would be greatly enhanced.  especially if other civs-or a previous fort, make artifacts, you could look through the history-maybe have a research skill that would allow you to do a simple search, and look for them in preparation for your quest, and same with looking for ancient forgotten beasts-and not just forgotten beasts-monsters that have seemingly retired from the world. 

also dwarven diaries might be good to make your dwarves happy, if not a source of potential humor...scratch that idea thats why they drink.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »

OMG... I need to get off my ass and post my mega suggestion which relates directly to this stuff...

With regard to this book stuff, I believe writing and reading should serve the same purposes in this game as it does/did in real life societies.  It should serve as a an indispensable tool for record keeping (which is a skill that deserves more exploration and development) and related activities that require keeping track of large numbers of items that cannot be feasibly held and manipulated in the mind alone.  It should also serve as a method of recording (hi)stories and other items of abstract knowledge (which in order to be useful necessitates an abstract knowledge system in this game, which I am all for!) in order to help mitigate loss of valuable knowledge within the fortress as well as within civilization.  In these ways writing would be important in adventure mode, fortress mode, and any possibly planned kingdom or civ mode.

I don't feel that books should simply be novelty items that bring happy thoughts.  Reading and writing for pleasure to me are secondary in importance to the stuff I mentioned earlier (at least according to my understanding of writing's history and importance).  That's not to say that this secondary importance isn't important...

I think books specially written for the purpose could and maybe should offer some modest skill-increase bonuses (like, say, an alchemist's notebook that details nitty gritty details about how to do a particular reaction better that helps a dwarf studying it be able to do a particular reaction better or get better faster), but I think that that would be stupid to have as the main purpose of books in the game.  Books (and talking and other ways of communicating) should convey knowledge explicitly to entities in the game, as that is the main purpose of books and writing and the like IRL and what makes such technology useful.  Also, it offers the opportunity for more interesting social phenomena like monopolization of information by the literate, and using writing as a tool to keep the illiterate masses subjugated...

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 04:35:18 pm »

Coming full circle - books would have a definite obvious purpose withing the religious systems.

Secondly - economy; I think economical life will eventually have do deal with several independent entities running their own accounting and they will have to keep records of transactions. (The fort, guilds, societies...)

Third - technology; how does my dabbling noob eventually learn to make masterwork adamantine armor entirely on his own? IRL (ignore the adamantine bit...) that process took several hundred years of gradual progress with contributions from many inventors. I am not sure one should immediately be able to construct and build all items and all categories of items without knowledge from the outside, whether from immigrant masters direct teachings or books written by them and imported. 

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 04:46:18 pm »

Scribe: "Letter from the elves, sire"

King: "What do they want"

Scribe: "*AHEM* It appears they wish you to stop cutting down trees.  It hurts their feelings"

King: ".... and they wrote it on paper?"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 05:56:45 pm »

There's an argument that I've never brought up before, but I've often thought about it. No-one else has ever brought it up either.

The reason we should have books is because they are "cool". By that, I mean that they may not serve much purpose in game, but they add dynamism to a fortress I guess you could say. It's like clay and honey, they are functionally useless, but people still use them. Right now, Dwarf Fortress is more a game where the player sets the goals, which in many cases is to build a megaproject. Building a giant pyramid out of green glass us completely useless, it serves not purpose in game for the dwarves, but we do it because we can.

I think that this can be applied to books, we can have books that are made however, then read by whoever. It may be a fairly long, multi-stepped process, but we would do it, just so we can say "I have a giant 50 z-level tower filled with bookcases filled with books". Functionally they'd be useless, as your dwarves would never read all of them, but you do it because you can.

This very argument is the one that I should've applied to tools earlier, but I didn't. Sure, it would be useless to have woodworking tools and then stoneworking tools. It would be useless to have both hammer and anvil, but it adds dynamism to the fortress. This is why I like that Toady plans to add silverware into the game, as in have it used, because it means that I can make knives, forks and plates for all my dwarves.

The fact that DF has these sort of things is something that sets it apart from other games. The Settlers has lots of resources and industries, so does Anno 1404, but neither of these games have the little details of life, like mugs and knives and forks.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?
Pages: 1 [2] 3