Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NO PUT THAT DOWN YOU CAN'T USE THAT  (Read 1193 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NO PUT THAT DOWN YOU CAN'T USE THAT
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:49:09 am »

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. I normally fix it by just unforbidding the weapon, but I'd like a more permanent solution.

Occasionally, my dwarves will drop their weapon and it will be forbidden, so they won't pick it back up and they'll have to go get another one. It's rather irritating when I have to occasionally look through my fortress and unforbid this randomly dropped weapons. What is going on?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NO PUT THAT DOWN YOU CAN'T USE THAT
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:36:47 am »

They probably found a better/more valuable weapon that they want instead.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:29 am »

But then shouldn't they store their old weapon instead of it being forbidden and dropped? and Why would my adequate axedwarf drop his *Iron Battle Axe* for a -Iron Spear- which he's not even dabbling in?
Legacy of Insightshields

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:55 am »

But then shouldn't they store their old weapon instead of it being forbidden and dropped? and Why would my adequate axedwarf drop his *Iron Battle Axe* for a -Iron Spear- which he's not even dabbling in?

Could he have been disarmed by his sparring partner? Note that when stripping caged Goblin prisoners, the weapons and armor that they possess start off forbidden... you have to bulk un-forbid the cage contents before bulk dumping them (in my experience).
Never pet a burning dog.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:43:21 am »

No, It's not caged goblins' stuff. It's stuff they've been using. Their weapons get forbidden. And they don't drop them while sparring, atleast not that I've seen. I just unforbid 3 weapons in my bar/block stockpile, and another in the meeting hall.

I just had to unforbid one on a bed, one in the barracks, and 5 [!] more on the armor stockpile. What the hell is going on?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:53:58 am by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:20 am »

When it gets stuck into an enemy it gets automatically forbidden (this is I assume to stop civilian dwarves trying to retrieve stuck-ins out of angry forgotten beasts etc), but the dwarf will still use it. When however he decides to change the weapon, having found a better one, he will drop it where he currently is, and nobody else will touch it because it's forbidden.

I check my stocks screen after every major battle and just unforbid anything that looks like it's mine.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:45:26 am »

But it happens inbetween battles too. I won't even fight anything at all and it'll happen.
Legacy of Insightshields

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:46:27 am »

Do you have those dwarves set to be woodcutters or miners?

Do you have those dwarves set to only wear their uniform while on duty, rather than all the time?

Dwarves can become attached to their favorite weapon - but the game doesnt mark the relationship in any special way, it just has the weapon become forbidden - as long as the dwarf has no reason to put it down though, that is not a problem - they keep using it just fine.  But if you give them an excuse to put it down - then they're unable to pick it up again as it is forbidden.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:37:54 am »

Dwarves can become attached to their favorite weapon - but the game doesnt mark the relationship in any special way, it just has the weapon become forbidden - as long as the dwarf has no reason to put it down though, that is not a problem - they keep using it just fine.  But if you give them an excuse to put it down - then they're unable to pick it up again as it is forbidden.

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening. The only time I've noticed randomly forbidden weapons is when I've had an established military and seen lots of "Urist McAxechop has grown attached to a *steel short sword*". Have your soldiers in uniform at all times and you shouldn't have any problems.

Until one of them tantrums...

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:23 pm »

I never take my dwarves out of the military. I have them training year round so I'm prepared for ambushes and seiges. The only time one of them has gone off duty was when he got wrecked kike 5 goblins. His buddies saved him, but he temporarily became a civialian until he healed. And it's not just weapons they get attached too. I've got one dwarf two's got like 4 different weapon skills because he keeps switching, and he hasn't become attached to any of them.
Legacy of Insightshields