Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning  (Read 66046 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning
« Reply #585 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »

Every habitable planet is Australia on amphetamines. You get used to it.

You'd think that at least trying to abate the lag would be a good idea, though.
Nothing important here, move along.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 23, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »

I think he has made multiple attempts, the most recent being to cause most or all of the uninhabited sectors to decay and cease existing.

Since I haven't played for months, I have no idea if that actually accomplished anything.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 23, 2012, 06:29:21 pm »

Accomplished nothing.
Haxus really should do the coding to get rid of that silly problem of that lag.
Just dont get it why he keeps adding stuff and leaves old problems solved.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 24, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »

Clearly he doesn't know how to fix it, since he's already tried and failed several times.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23:32 am »

Just heard about this game in the 0x10c wiki and it looks pretty awesome.  Only thing is, every video I watched of it looks really... clunky, and everyone seems to be complaining about lag.  Is that a major problem?  Graphics and learning curves I can deal with, but if the game runs like shit... =/
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 11, 2012, 08:34:59 am »

It's a little clunky, but then so is Dwarf Fortress.

It's a lot of fun though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

Well, when you put it that way =p

Just finished watching the entire 20-part Let's Play series on it, and it seems like the game I've been waiting for for over a decade.  Best way I can describe what I've seen is if Dwarf Fortress, Elite, and Time of Defiance (RIP) had a baby.  I'm excited. 

Signing up now  8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:48:31 am by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:41 am »

Well, when you put it that way =p

Just finished watching the entire 20-part Let's Play series on it, and it seems like the game I've been waiting for for over a decade.  Best way I can describe what I've seen is if Dwarf Fortress, Elite, and Time of Defiance (RIP) had a baby.  I'm excited. 

Signing up now  8)

Hey, are you me, some years ago?

I hope SoH got rid of all that lag that ruined the game every single time for me. =|
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »

Yeah, planet I started on had tons of everything but oil and minerals... had to make a pretty long road to get them.  Almost everything's QL140+, though, so that's good news.  Wildlife's absolutely nasty though, got these things the size of a farm house that look like a cross between an antlion and a griffon, kill me in one hit and barely get scratched by my knife.  Got laser towers and some troops with rifles and metal armor now to hold them back, but most of my early experience was spent running from packs of the things while trying to get a couple jobs in edgewise XD

Slowly working my way towards rocketry and a moon base, but focusing on getting my population and planet-side infrastructure up and running first.  Currently at about 100 dudes and 100 jobs, wanna get to about 250/200 before I start mucking around in space.  Then probably going to fully colonize my home system before straying too far, in case I attract unwanted attention.  There's at least one other empire in my sector, so I'll be getting some defenses up once I figure out how to station giant battle stations at all the wormhole exits just in case =p

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »

TBH, Shores of Hazeron was a pain in the ass.

It kind of looked like a college kid's project in beginner 3D modeling or game design, and I couldn't wrap my head around the tutorial with the complex interfaces.

I don't know, from what I hear I might pick it up again. But probably not likely.
I need to put something interesting here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 11, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »

He says on a forum dedicated to an ASCII game with a notoriously obtuse interface :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 11, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »

I just killed the tutorial guy for meat and figured it out for myself =/

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:52 am »

He says on a forum dedicated to an ASCII game with a notoriously obtuse interface :P
Having played both games, Dwarf Fortress' fortress mode interface is much better, and adventure mode is slightly better. And the player experience, including graphics and performance, is orders of magnitude better.

Hazeron has some neat ideas, and is very ambitious, but it really needs to be rebuilt from scrach by a large team with several million dollars of infrestructure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »

Hazeron's spaceship design system is still easily one of the best I've ever seen, and sometimes those ships do look good. This one here had once tried to make similar designs in Blockade Runner - and later Corneroids, and found that impossible.

And I agree with that large team and multi-million dollars bit.

Also, killing Targoss is kind of a rite of passage.

EDIT: And after all, there's exactly zero other games that allow you to explore a galaxy with a ship of your own design in first person, and run around and build citied on any planet landable. None of the minecraft-in-space have reached that point yet, Garry's Mod w/Spacebuild is too limited in scale, and Spore doesn't count.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:30:57 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 14, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

I have a sudden craving to join a large empire, get a ship, and make a living as a bountypirate hunter.
fixed for you because trying to bounty hunt other players...any legit player who gets a bounty put on their head will just claim it using an alt...but then again...i could see some benefits of running around with a bounty being chased across the galaxy...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41