Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning  (Read 66067 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning
« Reply #540 on: August 04, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

Now, I haven't played in a while, about a year, but I've been thinking about an econimic model they could use.

Every city's monetary worth would be based on it's GDP, which is derived from all the labor performed by the citizens, all goods sold(to ships or auto-exported via airports/brokers/etc), all goods stockpiled, minus all goods purchased(as with goods sold). Goods stockpiled, but not used for anything, which would otherwise generate labor and most likely new goods(booze, weapons, power armors. In that order please), would instead lose value(already in game, more items in stock reduces price), and therefore hurt GDP value(representing stagnation). I was thinking that a city's ability to buy stuff would therefore be based on this, preventing people from doing things selling power armors to a new city and making a huge amount of money, although you could "sell" supplies/building material/tools to a new colony for free.

Every time the GDP would be updated(possibly every 13-minute tick? Tax time?), funds above being taxed/used for research/used for imports/etc would be stored in a bank(or lost if no bank exists), giving extra capital later for purchases or whatever else may be needed. Not sure what to do if there's a deficit, though. Maybe a morale penalty?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »

*first time into space with rocket*
"Well this is definitely a lot to remember"
*is able to stop rocket, get out and back in*
"that wasn't too bad...now I have to land this thing"
*rocket approaches planet*
*cat jumps onto keyboard, pressing a few buttons...including E*
*character jumps out of rocket and floats endlessly in space, and has to recall back home*
*loses newly made rocket...nasa would be angry*
*builds a 2nd rocket*

wish me luck on landing :P I revamped the E key to shift+E...just E by itself is deadly :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:16 pm »

Go through your keymapping and find the lateral brake, it will make your life so much easier. That way, you won't have to turn your rocket to slow yourself down if you're going sideways. It can also straighten you out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »

I've personally have heard of people skipping rockets entirely.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »

The lateral brake should be Q.

Also: I discovered the other day that you can take off straight up and down, and strafe, using the arrow keys. This is a life-changer. Until now, I hated piloting manually because I would always have to gun the engines and slide along the ground until I went over some sort of inline or ledge. Now I can do what the AI does :P

@ Neonivek: I usually do, or build a rocket only because it's a rite of passage. A tiny, 3x4 spaceship using rocket engines is faster, more fuel efficient, and can hold a lot more cargo than a rocket. Easier to fly as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »

The lateral brake should be Q.

Also: I discovered the other day that you can take off straight up and down, and strafe, using the arrow keys. This is a life-changer. Until now, I hated piloting manually because I would always have to gun the engines and slide along the ground until I went over some sort of inline or ledge. Now I can do what the AI does :P

@ Neonivek: I usually do, or build a rocket only because it's a rite of passage. A tiny, 3x4 spaceship using rocket engines is faster, more fuel efficient, and can hold a lot more cargo than a rocket. Easier to fly as well.

Can you post a screenshot of the design of the 3 by 4 spaceship using rocket engines? I've tried for 3 or 4 hours now and I can't get a design at all. Not one that is nice and small. The first four attempts came out looking like a lunchbox. Then a diamond shaped ship :P There is a guide to making a large ship on the Hazeron site, but I don't want a large ship at the moment. I sort of followed it, but couldn't fit anything that it said to put in. Would just like a small transport ship like you described, at least to start with. Maybe one that can hold a vehicle too? A vehicle on the moon would be cool, and sort of funny.

All I need is to design one ship, and I'm good to go from there. Once I make something once, it is a lot easier after that. The guide on the site did help a lot, but I think that guide is designed for a large, actual spaceship. I just want a basic, transport ship, for now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:26:45 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2012, 06:04:46 pm »

Lunchbox-looking ships are pretty standard, actually :P

My design cannot hold vehicles, but I assume it could hold at least a motorcycle with minimal modification. The idea for it is to be a "shuttlecraft", like in Star Trek; small and designed to park inside a larger ship.
Spoiler: The Little Mule (click to show/hide)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2012, 06:28:20 pm »

Ah okay. Box ships are common then?

And thanks :) I was making the ship way too complicated I think, for a starter one.

When I first opened up the ship editor, I literally stared at it for like 5 minutes going "wtf is all this"...then I got the hang of it over about 10 minutes. Pretty easy really.

That ship design looks good enough for what I want, just to learn how things work. At least for a small transport/shuttle. Which is pretty much what I wanted. Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:32:37 pm by Vendayn »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »

Just keep in mind that the designer is unrestrictive. It doesn't matter if your empire just built it's first rocket; you can design a massive TL32 battleship from the get-go. It will also allow a design even if you forget to add doors or don't have enough engines to move more than 50m/s/s or so. Take your time and stay within your empire's technological capabilities.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »

Well, technically, 78 m/s/s is the lowest acceleration you can have before your ship becomes classified as a space station, as I recall.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:23 am »

Does this game still lag like cheesesticks past their best before date?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 12, 2012, 09:44:48 am »

Does this game still lag like cheesesticks past their best before date?

Yup.  Although it seems more consistent since the last time I've played; someone designing a massive ship in the design studio doesn't lag bomb half the galaxy anymore.

Although I've heard insta-lag bombs are still possible due to broken pathing.

KG

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:11 am »

Could I join the Kobold Duchy? I got tired of running my empire by myself.
nothing

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 14, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »

You can still lag other people in the designer by building massive ships and blatantly ignoring best practices for doing so; e.g. making a TL32 ship at full mass with all the equipment, and then trying to drag delete a bunch of tiles, and then alt-tabbing to do whatever else while you lag out the entire server you're on.

But the pathing is a thing too, with at least one ship design. We'll have to see if Haxus fixes it for good this time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 14, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »

I really like this game, but I have horrible framerate when I'm not in space. My graphics card doesn't agree with the game. I can play it on my laptop, but my parents won't be letting me after school starts again.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41