Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning  (Read 66100 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning
« Reply #450 on: July 14, 2012, 03:24:55 am »

I've seen noticeable improvements, though some others have complained of lag and I had a bad patch of it for a few minutes earlier today. It seems to vary based on which servers are overloaded and which ones have capacity to spare.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:11 am »

So I remember trying this awhile ago and whilst the idea seemed nice enough, the unbelievable lag caused by what seemed to be a poorly optimised network code put me completely off it.

Has that been fixed at all?

I occasionally pop my head back in to check up on that very situation, as well as asking the general opinion from people here and on the official forums.

The general consensus seems to be split into two camps. "Yes it's still awful", and "What lag? I've never had any lag."

So... I guess the only real way to know is to log in and see for yourself. But I'll warn you, there seems to be no confusion on the topic of space ships and character getting stuck in the void, from which the only escape is to contact an admin. That shit still apparently happens.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:08 am »

It does not, however, happen all of the time. Last I played (which was still when just about everyone had bad lag, mind, before the server upgrade) I rarely got limboed. It seems to happen most often to high TL players and systems, or at least they're the most vocal about it.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 15, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »

I did some exploring, and it looks like Kobold Duchy is only two hops away from Randal13, #26 on the rankings.  We're also only 3 hops away from one of their fully populated ringworlds.  We might be in trouble.

KG
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:59:58 pm by kg333 »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 15, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

Considering that you can conquer a city with nothing but TL1 space transports, glue guns (or high TL rifles and bullets), and enough people or troops to occupy all the flags on city at once, and need only a ship or ships to carry the troop transports or to build a colony in their system to make the troop transports, you're in less trouble than you think. In fact, if you feel like being aggressive, they could be in considerable trouble themselves, if a lot of you are playing in the Kobold Duchy. (Or use alts, or bring troops)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:27 pm »

Considering that you can conquer a city with nothing but TL1 space transports, glue guns (or high TL rifles and bullets), and enough people or troops to occupy all the flags on city at once, and need only a ship or ships to carry the troop transports or to build a colony in their system to make the troop transports, you're in less trouble than you think. In fact, if you feel like being aggressive, they could be in considerable trouble themselves, if a lot of you are playing in the Kobold Duchy. (Or use alts, or bring troops)

Will fighters and transports landed on top of a ship still make the jump with it, or did those get patched out with the superships?

KG

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:34 pm »

If you're in trouble you can always call other B12ers for help... there's a lot of us in that game.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 15, 2012, 08:38:19 pm »

Will fighters and transports landed on top of a ship still make the jump with it, or did those get patched out with the superships?

KG

Not sure. You'll have to test it to find out.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:18 pm »

I remember making a invasion ship specialized in groud deployement.... TL32 ship, HUGE amount of shields, anything else was just enough to allow some travel, and max amount of turrets pointing downward...

I get on the planet first with a troup transport, get in close to take out laser tower on the town perimeter, as i close in i loose some soldier, im wounded, there is 5 tower, i disable 3. Call the ship in, take a few hit, shield goes down, PLANETFALL!!! turrets shooting everwhere while the ship was under fire... man that was awesome, i did manage to capture the town, the ship was damaged but... the fun.... the pew pew.... priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

Minus fighter and lots more pew pew...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:02 am »

Question: Can you still repair ships by hand using TL1 materials and tools?

That makes ship repairs fairly simple as you can just quickly build a city, build a smelter, then mine ore/smelt everything by hand and get at least the hull fixed up with stone hammers, then abandon the city.

Unless you have to load up on materials of the same-or-higher TL as the ship.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:09 pm »

So hey guys, um... Don't take this the wrong way, please, but I was wondering if there were any sort of 'tips' or 'tricks' concerning character creation - specifically, ways to perhaps build a creature outside of the normal limitations? In a totally legit way, of course.

I don't mean like "I WANT TO MAKE A SUPER INSECT WITH 99999 HP AND A MILLION FEET TALL WITH FIVE HUNDRED LEGS."

I just want to make something that looks a little less derpy. I love this game, but I haaaaaaate the derpy characters. :( I made these really cute little midget owl things with no legs, once. They were almost Tribbles. But due to the game's limitations, I couldn't completely get rid of their legs, nor get them low enough to the ground to pretend they didn't have legs, and the game wouldn't accept such an unorthodox body anyway. I don't care how it would butcher its stats, I just want a race of Tribbles, damnit!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 17, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

Dwarvenkind had it's first interspecies meeting today! Dwarf and some very tall green lizard with butterfly wings. The two empires exchanged gifts: the dwarves received a finely-crafted ring. The lizard people got some dwarven cheese. It's pretty much the best thing a barely-TL2 empire could offer a race that had already hit double-digit tech levels :P

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:14 pm »

Oh, you have good milk on your planet? We should call it New Switzerland! Milk chocolate and cheese for everyone!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 17, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

Dwarvenkind had it's first interspecies meeting today! Dwarf and some very tall green lizard with butterfly wings. The two empires exchanged gifts: the dwarves received a finely-crafted ring. The lizard people got some dwarven cheese. It's pretty much the best thing a barely-TL2 empire could offer a race that had already hit double-digit tech levels :P

Did they happen to be the Rik Tan Hegemony? I met a similar looking character earlier. They're pretty nice, and offered to take me under their protection.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 17, 2012, 11:38:21 pm »

No, not that empire. Something near my own.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41