Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning  (Read 66185 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron: War was beginning
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:40 pm »

I'd play, but it's (Mostly) unplayable:Yes, it renders starships,interiors of starships, creatures,buildings, tools,vehicles, and plants:Just not the ground of the planet,it just has my character on air with water several feet below(Even though my species are flyers, but still.).It's on the windows 7 included intel core,any ideas?
Apparently Intel chips can't render the ground. Something about OpenAL (or was it OpenGL?) support. I have the same problem on my laptop.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2011, 12:14:25 am »

Wait, why have we not created a Dwarf civilization and conquered the universe? ???
1: I did. Lost interest when a bunch of strangers came in and ruined everything (next time, don't leave an open immigration policy!)
2: There are several, far more powerful civs.
3: The game barely runs as is, and early in a civ's life there isn't much need for more than one person.

For 3, I disagree. I would think having multiple people can make building the capital a bit less tedious, and then once you have any kind of spaceflight having many players to start setting up the solar system would be great.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2011, 12:29:35 am »

The problem is others can't join you until you have a capital (unless that's changed since I played), which is at the point where your capital is already halfway done.

Having extra players that know what they're doing to fly out and colonize the solar system would be great though.

Where it's really good to have an empire is exploring space though. Once you've got a few tech levels and can make decent scout ships, players can fan out and explore the region around you looking for high quality materials and start to establish out of system colonies, and trade routes, and etc. When everything is working the game can be a lot of fun.

It just becomes a nightmare when you get stuck in limbo, 90% of your players quit, all your trade routes break down due to the ships flying into the sun, and your economies break down to the point that you can't build any of your good ship designs anymore. I'd imagine the pirate thing would make the game even more annoying when 90% of your players quit. Then all your systems get blown up by pirates and you can't even explore your space without a warship.

The real problem is the part where almost everyone quits and you're left all alone in a crumbling empire, though. That's a real bummer. Being stuck in limbo or pirates or ships flying into suns or other empires invading pale in comparison (although they may be part of the cause).

It's funny. In principle I love this game's design, I love the philosophy behind it. I just can't stand playing it, because every time I try the game goes through a rough period of updates that makes it nigh unplayable until I and almost everyone I was playing with lose interest.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:21 am »

I really hope he would just get everything to OpenGL 1.0
Then I could play on my toaster. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2011, 02:37:41 am »

Paul said it best, I think. The pirate update came out of nowhere, when most of the smaller empires didn't even bother arming their ships because there was so little point. The update was horribly buggy to begin with; a simple tech level (TL) 1 empire with a single planet-hopper might find itself besieged by TL20 warships that opened fire on basically anything. Only now are pirates being reduced in strength, though the larger empires suffer daily attacks compounded by the AI suddenly getting stupider. Only the foolish or desperate send ships out unarmed now.

This is shortly after an update which re-worked how officers worked, and made hundreds of them (the officers, not the players!) commit suicide during a weekend when many players weren't around to stop it.

Now the game is buggier than ever. I haven't been on in weeks thanks to laggier-then-normal servers, and with the mail system crashing so frequently I have no idea what happened to my empire.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2011, 03:18:59 am »

We in Tymas, on the other hand, had numerous highly-optimized TL32 warship designs which had been combat-tested against each other before and after the combat changes, prior to the pirates showing up, because we were Properly Paranoid (and continued refining them and making new ones periodically after the pirates showed up). And this despite the fact that most of us tend to spend a lot of time playing other games or doing other things instead of playing Hazeron all the time.

(We also have lower-TL warship designs, and other lower-TL ship type designs, and I would highly recommend founding a new capital after you get to space in a system capable of producing good-TL ships (including armed ships) on its own without any trade with other systems. E.G. TL24-30, although the higher you go the less likely you are to find a system that has every needed basic spaceship resource at that TL or better)

Of course, the situation with a powerful empire with TL32 resources, technology, and the ability to build giant patrol fleets*, is very different from a less-powerful empire without such resources, without as many worlds, and without the players (although the patrol fleets were entirely Ikkir's doing, so it's not a matter of needing numerous people to pull them off - it's just needing enough officers, good enough ships, and so on).

* Guarding all your systems is, of course, impossible, but officer farms don't need protecting from pirates - hell, pirates currently prevent abandonment.

Haxus just recently fixed the servers-themselves-stalling-due-to-a-bad-city-name-borking-SQL glitch, although it was difficult to do anything since everyone was in limbo 90% of the time until he was able to fix that. Not sure if the mail is working again yet or not. Haven't been checking my mail - I lost a couple cities during that problem, but they were just simple officer farms, and could be easily rebuilt in about 5 minutes each, if I wanted the officers (and it takes far less time to travel now with warp drive, if you have it).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:24:41 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:34 am »

I'm still not registered on the forums.
Can you please ask him how easy it would be to use only OpenGL 1.0 functions? :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2011, 09:35:07 am »

I can (slowly) play Dungeons of Dredmor in OpenGL mode, so I'm somewhat confused why it doesn't work at all here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »

This is from the Supported Graphics Cards thread on the SoH forum:

Cards that will probably not work, as they do not support OpenGL 3.3 according to Wikipedia:

Intel integrated Graphics of any kind are right out. That includes "Intel HD Graphics", "HD Graphics 2000" and "HD 3000".

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »

Anyone still play? I've been considering playing for a bit but I don't want to be too lonely.

Tymas is still relatively active (not a whole lot to do, but we definitely poke at the game mechanics a lot still), and are accepting new members. Otherwise I haven't seen many (any?) B12 people playing who aren't part of the Tymas Alliance. Could be completely wrong there though.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »

i think any non-tymas bay12 empire just pops up, then becomes inactive within a month.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »

Tymas has some bad members that I'd really rather not be associated with. It's honestly the main reason I left.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

Tried to install the game, but I keep getting this IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070003(5 also): the system cannot find the path specified.

Anyone know how to fix that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:04:44 am by Hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:24 am »

Tried to install the game, but I keep getting this IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070003(5 also): the system cannot find the patch specified.

I've installed SoH on five different computers, and never seen that O_o
What kind of system are you running?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:09 am »

Tried to install the game, but I keep getting this IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070003(5 also): the system cannot find the patch specified.

I've installed SoH on five different computers, and never seen that O_o
What kind of system are you running?

Derp, just realised I meant PATH not PATCH.

Anyways, I'm on Windows 7.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41