Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with an almost newb  (Read 1931 times)

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with an almost newb
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

Yes, I've read the manuels.

Yes, I;ve searched the FAQ.

Yes I've used the search feature.  There are still some things I dont understand.

(I'm using the latest version newb pack)

First of all, how can I tell someone to cancel what they are currently doing, and do something else (hence my farmer always fishes, but I want him to plant crops...how do I tell him to stop fishing and plant crops)

Second, how come I cant build a trade depot?  I have everything required.  I followed the tutorials.  I have a masonry workshop, and a architect skilled dwarf who is a miner and mason. 

Third, how can you equip your dwarves?  can you?  I would like to give them training swords or shields or armor.

Fourth, how do you train their skills? I want to get more dwarves to have the herbalist skill, but only my farmer picks plants.  Same way I want to train my dwarves using swords and shields and etc.

Fifth, can the enemy break down blocks/ doors?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an almost newb
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »

So in other words, you were not aware of the Wiki. Ok, the short answers are:

- You can change labour permissions from the 'v'iew units mode. Job cancellation requires the 'j'ob screen but some jobs can't be cancelled on the spot.
- Likely the tutorials you read were of an old version before the military changes. Nowadays, equipping dwarves means you create a squad first and then designate their uniforms and any variations from them for individuals - all done through the military screen.

Now, what exactly do you mean by "can't build the trade depot"? Can you declare where you want it built but the dwarves don't get around to it? Or are you unable to even order where you want it placed?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:37:35 pm »

First of all, how can I tell someone to cancel what they are currently doing, and do something else (hence my farmer always fishes, but I want him to plant crops...how do I tell him to stop fishing and plant crops)
Canceling the labor you don't want the dwarf to do on their labors list is the only really reliable method. You can also use the (j)obs list and remove a dwarf from a particular job, but for fishing or such things they might just make themselves another job instantly anyway.

You're having trouble with this because different labors have different priorities (which are hard-coded). Dwarves will pretty much always choose to fish over more-or-less anything else that they might be ordered to do due to fishing's high priority, which you can't change. For things that you really want done, like farming, it's best to have a dwarf who does only that one thing.

Second, how come I cant build a trade depot?  I have everything required.  I followed the tutorials.  I have a masonry workshop, and a architect skilled dwarf who is a miner and mason. 
Do you have a dwarf with the architect labor active, or just the architecture skill? They're two different things. You also must have a dwarf with the masonry labor active (not necessarily the same one). To activate/deactivate labors, use the v-cursor, scroll to the desired dwarf, then hit p to enter the preferences menu, l to enter the labor preferences menu, and then +-*/ and ENTER to go to and toggle the desired labors. Masonry is in the Masonry subheading along with Stone Detailing, and architecture is in the Other subheading.

Once you've got the appropriate labors active, you need to hit b to enter the building menu, then D (specifically capitalized) to set a trade depot. This takes 3 materials, but doesn't actually require a mason's workshop.

Third, how can you equip your dwarves?  can you?  I would like to give them training swords or shields or armor.
This is a fairly involved process, and a better explanation than I can likely give is on the wiki's military page. The short of it is that you have to make the dwarves part of a military squad and assign them weapons/armor through there. Note that equipping miners, woodcutters, and hunters doesn't work well through this method.

Fourth, how do you train their skills? I want to get more dwarves to have the herbalist skill, but only my farmer picks plants.  Same way I want to train my dwarves using swords and shields and etc.
To train non-military skills, activate the appropriate labor through the method outlined above, then have them practice it. To train military skills, they've got to engage in combat with the appropriate equipment, spar with each other, engage in combat drills, or get attacked (not necessarily in combat). These things are outlined on the wiki's military page.

Fifth, can the enemy break down blocks/ doors?
Certain creatures have the BUILDINGDESTROYER:1 or 2 tag in their raw file, which allows them to break down various buildings. Walls, natural or constructed, can never be destroyed, nor can bridges, though doors can. Make your front gate with a drawbridge for this reason.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:41:00 pm »

+2 on the wiki. I've been playing game on and off since 2008 and I still use it regularly.

1. You can't tell them to stop doing one thing and do another thing. You have to disable the labor you don't want them to do. I highly recommend Dwarf  Therapist as a means of doing so. It should be in the pack.

2. Since from the above I guess you haven't figured out how to turn labors on, you probably need architecture enabled. The in-game way is to select a dwarf, go to (p)references for (l)abor. Dwarf Therapist is much easier though.

3. The military screen is worth a thread in itself. I'd look at the wiki and some video tutorials. I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuboyhh71k&feature=related several times before I was comfortable with it.

4. Most skills train by doing them.

5. Some can. The goblins will bring trolls which can destroy doors. Nothing can destroy walls or fortifications though. 
Memento Mori

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:27:01 am »

For.the trade depot make sure you have access to the outside world, you need a path no less than 3 tiles wide all the way to the depot, otherwise the traders will not have access to the depot.

Secondly, Dwarf Therapist, Use it, Learn it, Love it..

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »

ok, thanks everybody.

I answered a lot of my own questions via trial and error...

ok, I need to read on how to train military skills...

My first wave of migrants costed of 5 or 6 dwarfs...then nxt month3...food shortage my be a problem.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, I've restarted the game around 4 tiems (this is my fifth try) and right now things seem to be going ok.

I've embarked in an area with almost no evil animals (yay)

A couple things.  When ever I try to brew stuff from plants, it says something about cant find plant with unrotten plant extract or what ever...

I also cant butcher animals ( I have to useless donkeys standing around...) I have a noob dwarf with butcher profession, and butcher shop...

Dwarves need pickaxes to mine, yes?  (I'll look up how to get a pickaxe..or make one) i have a noob dwarf withmining abilities but no axe...

how do I plant other plants beside plump helmets?  90% of my food is plump helmets (though the dwarves dont mind...at the moment)
I've tried.  I have strawberries and root stuff...but no farmer will plant it :(

now....to try some more stuff..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

Ok, I've restarted the game around 4 tiems (this is my fifth try) and right now things seem to be going ok.

I've embarked in an area with almost no evil animals (yay)

A couple things.  When ever I try to brew stuff from plants, it says something about cant find plant with unrotten plant extract or what ever...

I also cant butcher animals ( I have to useless donkeys standing around...) I have a noob dwarf with butcher profession, and butcher shop...

Dwarves need pickaxes to mine, yes?  (I'll look up how to get a pickaxe..or make one) i have a noob dwarf withmining abilities but no axe...

how do I plant other plants beside plump helmets?  90% of my food is plump helmets (though the dwarves dont mind...at the moment)
I've tried.  I have strawberries and root stuff...but no farmer will plant it :(

now....to try some more stuff..
Not sure why you can't brew. Make sure you have enough barrels/pots, and a good supply of brewable plants (which is pretty much any plant).

To butcher animals go the the z-animals ([z]->[enter]) screen and set an animal to be butchered. A dwarf with the butchering labor active will haul the animal the the butchery, and slaughter it. Note that pets and wild animals cannot be butchered, only strays.

To make pickaxes you need a metalsmiths, a metal bar, and a dwarf with the weaponsmithing labor active. To get metal bars build a smelter, burn some wood for charcoal, then smelt some ore. You can also buy pickaxes at embark, and most migrant miners will enter the map carrying a pick (they usually drop it since most don't have the mining labor active).

To plant seeds other than plump helmets [q] over the plot and change the crop with [-],
  • , and [enter]. Some crops are season-exclusive. Most of the seeds you listed are above ground crops, which must be planted above ground.

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »

thanks, once again. playing the game for 6 hrs. straight teaches you a lot.

I have a couple questions though.

How often do sieges happen?

How do I put dangerous stuff underneath my retractable bridges?  I read somewheres that one type retracts into a wall, but mine didnt...
I have no idea how to dig pits or put lava or such underneath...

How do you deal with thieves?
how can you make weapons without metal smiths?  (I have yet to find metal)
(I have a ton of practice stuff, and wood crossbows)

Any tips what to do with migration?  I get a ton of dwarves with weird skill sets....

What do you do when your child gets picked up by a fey mood?

What do you do when someone gets possessed?

How do you create a hospital?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »

How often do sieges happen?

It varies. I know the size of the sieges is based on how wealthy your fort is; I think the frequency is also based on that. I'd be pretty surprised to get more than one siege a season in any case, though.

How do I put dangerous stuff underneath my retractable bridges?  I read somewheres that one type retracts into a wall, but mine didnt...
I have no idea how to dig pits or put lava or such underneath...

Pressing 'd' and then 'h' will select the tool for designating pits to be dug down from the current level, and 'd' 'z' selects the tool to remove ramps, which determine how creatures (including your miners!) can get in and out of those pits. Also < moves your viewpoint up a level and > moves it down one. Bringing lava to the surface is rather complicated, but even empty pits are useful for controlling where creatures go.

To make bridges that raise into walls rather than retracting, press w, a, x, or d while setting the bridge to be built.

How do you deal with thieves?

Chain or pasture dogs or other animals near your entrances in such a way that the thief has to pass within one square of at least one animal in order to get in. When an animal spots a thief, the thief will run away. (They might stab the animal first, though.)

how can you make weapons without metal smiths?  (I have yet to find metal)
(I have a ton of practice stuff, and wood crossbows)

With a few exceptions, you can't. The one exception that you didn't mention is obsidian short swords, which also arent' very good. Your best bet is either getting weapons from the traders, or building some cage traps and trapping some goblins and taking their weapons. You can also melt down any items that you don't want that are made from weapons-grade metal and recycle that metal into weapons and armor.

Any tips what to do with migration?  I get a ton of dwarves with weird skill sets....

I turn all the dwarves with skills I don't need into haulers and builders, and turn off hauling and building on all the dwarves who do have useful skills. I also try to train spare dwarves in any important skills for my fort.

What do you do when your child gets picked up by a fey mood?

What do you do when someone gets possessed?

I usually treat it like any other strange mood, and try to get them what they want.

How do you create a hospital?

Make an area with a bunch of 1x3 or 1x4 slots, each one having a bed, a table, a door, and optionally a traction bench. Add some chests. Ideally, have it near a well or build a well in the area. Use the 'i' zones menu to make a zone over the area; set it to be a hospital zone. Profit.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:04:29 am »

I suggest you boot up Dwarf Therapist while the game is running, that should give you some insight into the labours, as here they're all on the same screen, unlike in the game

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:30 pm »

thanks.

Is there anyway to view all your dwarves in 1 screen and see all their skills and stuff instead of searching for every dwarf by hand?

Question about trading.  I had some eleves here, and I put some pretty decent goods to trade (nice chests, nice bone armor, etc)

My value was 250, and the value of what I wanted to buy was 200( Then 100, then 60, then 30) and the trader wouldnt accept any of it.

Help?

Will cats stop thieves?

Also, I cant process plants because it always complains about the plants being rotten or something...

Is it better to make dwarves multi taskers (everyones a farmer, and they also might have some special skills)

Or designate each dwarf to a particular skill (farming, soldier, miner, woodingworking, doctor, etc)

Also, I give my dwarves wooden traning stuff, but they only seem to be doing hand to hand combat, and doding stuff.

Also, when you attack something, will the dwraves use their training weapons?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:37 pm »

There is a [ u ]nits screen, which may hemp.

Most times a caravan wants about 100% profit.
So, if you want to buy something worth 200, pay 400. Also, make sure to never sell elves wooden items, glass, or anything decorated with those materials.

Cats will reveal thieves, and the thieves will then run away. Don't count on the cat being able to injure the thief.

What plants are you trying to process, and with what job? Pig tails are just processed, quarry bushes are processed to bags, and sweet pods are processed to barrels.

Some jobs are more producive with a small number of skilled dwarves, some are better with lots of peasants. Growing in particular I find to be much better with one of two skilled growers than a large number of unskilled ones. Threshing and milling don't produce goods with a quality modifier, so any dwarf can do those.

Dwarves will use wooden training weapons to fight, but they are incredibly useless. If you can't get anything better, at least get something from a caravan.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:40 pm »

Is there anyway to view all your dwarves in 1 screen and see all their skills and stuff instead of searching for every dwarf by hand?

Dwarf Therapist

Question about trading.  I had some eleves here, and I put some pretty decent goods to trade (nice chests, nice bone armor, etc)

My value was 250, and the value of what I wanted to buy was 200( Then 100, then 60, then 30) and the trader wouldnt accept any of it.

Help?

Elves will get mad and refuse to trade with you at all if you try to trade them anything made of, derived from, or decorated with wood. This includes clear and crystal glass since you have to have ash to make potash to make them. It sounds like that's what happened, especially if they packed up and left as soon as you left the trading screen.

Will cats stop thieves?

Thieves will run away from cats, yes.

Also, I cant process plants because it always complains about the plants being rotten or something...

"Needs unrotten processable plant" means that you don't have any plants that can be used for that reaction. It's more likely that you don't have the right kind of plant at all than that you have the right plant but it's rotten.

Is it better to make dwarves multi taskers (everyones a farmer, and they also might have some special skills)

Or designate each dwarf to a particular skill (farming, soldier, miner, woodingworking, doctor, etc)

It depends on the skill. For skills where the level matters - farming, crafting, soldiering, mining - you want the relevant dwarves assigned to just that skill, so that they level up as quickly as possible. For things where skill level doesn't matter, or where it only affects speed, making a 'worker' class and giving all of them all of those jobs is fine. I tend to class doctoring as the second kind of skill, as well, since it's nearly impossible to keep it from rusting anyway and I'd rather have fast care than trying to worry about giving the best care. (I also play a pretty defensive game and rarely have any injuries at all, so this is a play style issue.)

Also, I give my dwarves wooden traning stuff, but they only seem to be doing hand to hand combat, and doding stuff.

Also, when you attack something, will the dwraves use their training weapons?

It's fine for dwarves to train with their real weapons, and in older versions if you had your dwarves train with training weapons they'd tend to bring them to battle, so I haven't bothered with training weapons at all, and I recommend that you don't either. Also, unless Toady fixed it in the recent bugfixes (and I don't think so - I didn't see it mentioned) it is entirely possible for dwarves to become attached to training weapons.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »

ok, thanks.

I'm going to let this game run till I die.  Nxt time I will  try to maximize my dwarf power...

You really do learn so much from just playing, even if you have to restart a thousand times :)

ok, more questions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:30:58 pm by CapitolLights »

CapitolLights

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »

I now have some more questions.

How do you get fuel for your furnace?  I have tons of wood and butinimous coal, but dont know how to use it for my furnace.

2.  Why arent my dwarves putting bins in my supply zones and puttign stuff in them?  Either the bins just sit in the finished goods section, or they are in the pile of stuff, but nothing is in them.

3.  I've assigned crossbows to people, and my hunters, but when ever my hunter hunts, it says "can not hunt, no ammunition."

How do I fixed this? I have plenty of bolts, and have 100 bolts assigned to each squad (and my hunters)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:35:46 pm by CapitolLights »
Pages: [1] 2