Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BOOM!  (Read 424 times)

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BOOM!
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:00:30 pm »

Who else agrees that the ability to make black powder would be the coolest thing ever? you could use it to mine large areas quickly, repel sieges and FUN. i know Toady has said that the technology of Dwarf Fortress will not overtly leave the 14th century but rudimentary cannons and gunpowder both existed at that point.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: BOOM!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Said cannons were meant to scare the enemy, particularly the cavalry. Not kill. Plus guns and such was beyond most of the world. Finally it doesn't fit into the Fantasy Setting currently set in place.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

I didnt say guns i just meant stuff like black powder kegs and the canons could be used to scare away siegers and disrupt cavalry

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:34:43 pm »

Gunpowder is a fairly commonly suggested theme, and Toady is very well aware of it.  He's mentioned it in the raws regarding Saltpeter, in DF Talks, and in the forums.

Blasting powder might actually be in the cards, as some sort of alchemy-produced explosive, but regardless, it's something Toady is well aware of and will make a decision on when the time comes.  Another suggestion thread on the topic isn't likely to tip his decision one way or the other.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:49:42 pm »

Woah thats awesome.