Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any advantages to sinister/haunted/terrifying (evil zones)?  (Read 2432 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Any advantages to sinister/haunted/terrifying (evil zones)?
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »

know that there are certain creatures that usually only show up in evil surroundings. Are there any advantages to embarking here? Am I able to get tons of bones from the skeletal creatures? any special minerals here?

I have been thinking about embarking in one of these zones. I am mostly a noob though, so am petty worried. My biggest problem is that i usually don't have enough minerals, or there is an aquifer, so I am wondering if it would be safe enough to embark in an evil area if I can avoid aquifers.

SO, are there any advantages to being in an evil biome?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any advantages to sinister/haunted/terrifying (evil zones)?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:45:04 pm »

I find it to be more exciting.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »

I'm not really looking for excitement. I'm still trying to figure out the basics. I was jsut wondering if there were more resources or something in exchange for the extra dnger form the zombies and whatnot.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »

Nope just extra danger at the moment... sometimes. Thats it.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:06 pm »

There should be some kind of resource you can only get there, or maybe the creatures there give special resources when butchered...

IDEA!  A fog in the evil zones that slowly spreads to adjacent tiles, and the fog slowly destroys structures. However, this fog is held back by totems and can be destroyed by blunt weapons. When a tile of this fog is destroyed, it would lave behind some kind of useful item.

Good idea?

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »

You can make suggestions at the following link:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

I'd first suggest you first use the 'Search' feature up at the top right of the screen to see if your idea has been suggested before.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

I found zombies easy to kill and abundant (zombie giant badgers were a lot weaker than just giant badger, but more aggressive), they provide an endless source of training for troops (no pop limit), so they are in themselves a resource.

On an earlier map however, I was plagued with Skeletal and Zombie Giant Eagles, these were a bit tougher, and flying
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:37:00 pm by Reelyanoob »

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »

Why of course there is. More dangerous zone means more wildlife and attacks! More wildlife and attacks...Well...send out a couple of hunters and militia to go kill them and loot the goodies. BAM!

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »

really it just comes down to this: more fun

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »

There are some plants and trees that only grow in evil areas, as well as some animals like werewolves and ogres. For a newby getting to know the game, though, I'd recommend Joyous Wilds. You can catch unicorns, and tame them and breed them if you change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET], and get sunberries and some nice wood.

Skeletal giant eagles were what made me stop playing on Terrifying biomes(actually, the last such biome I played on was part Terrifying, part Joyous Wilds, fighting zombies on bubble grass), since they're just a nuisance and make me have to move everything inside sharpish. Skeletal creatures didn't even drop bones, they just disintegrated.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:36:31 pm »

Evil creatures tend to be more aggressive, and though they won't give any food if they are undead, you could just position your military out in the open and allow them to kill everything without micromanaging or relying on hunters. Lots of bones for little effort. Remember to allow for outdoor refuse gathering.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »

Short answer: the extra difficulty IS the reward for embarking in evil zones. Many veterans don't find ordinary zones exciting enough. The fact you can get extra bones sometimes in evil zones is merely a side effect as you'd get that anyway from goblin sieges.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »

Sliver barbs which give black dye are only found in evil areas. I have heard they are bugged and not in the game anymore. Black dye is no more valuable than any other color dye and the alcohol it makes is low-quality so it not really an advantage as such.
Memento Mori

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

Unique wood(Glumprong), booze and dye from silver barb and phantom spider webs, which are either beneficial or bad depending on your style.

I like the colour black and the image of black robed/hooded markdwarves with scimitar is just way cool.

Also, dead creatures are generally much easier to kill than life ones due to the whole hp thingy. They also seem to "strike" much less. To put it simply, zombie buzzards vs live buzzards= live win.

To offset it, being attacked by the undead raises bad thoughts.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:18 am »

If you've got skeletal creatures you've got an unlimited supply of bones? :)

Live undead forest embarks sometimes have phantom spiders (Vermin) which you can harvest the silk in the same way as cave spiders. Don't think anyone mentioned that yet.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.
Pages: [1] 2