Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 386

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 530732 times)

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #4575 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:51 am »

Two gallants - Despite what you've been told
Musically is ok better lyrically.
Not really a flow to it imo
××××××××××××××××××

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: September 11, 2017, 07:37:50 pm »

The songs from Man of La Mancha

They're so good. I'd try to describe it, but I'd start fanboying.

Seriously, almost every damn song on that album (and it's the most complete I could find) is so... okay, I seriously have to stop posting.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: September 11, 2017, 11:58:52 pm »

Oh myy gawwwwwwd.   
This has been a helluva morning for music discoveries. First off I saw a social media post from a folk-rock band I happened to see when I was over in the States and decided to have a listen to them. Listened to a couple of songs of theirs which were really nice, but their Americana vibe gave me a hankerin' to listen to some full-blown country.

So, naturally, I pulled up some Waylong Jennings on yt and began to thoroughly indulge that urge.
A few songs into my binge, however, I was reading the comments (my laptop was failing entirely to get a connection and I was using the Youtube app on my phone, unable to minimise the video) and, in the middle of a thread voicing various opinions about modern country musicians, someone was touting the name "Sturgill Simpson" as one who was still keeping the genre alive.

After the current song had finished I chucked that name into the search bar, and... goodness me I was blown away.
Sturgill Simpson - You Can Have the Crown / Some Days. The first few seconds of the former song and my day was already made.
It's really damn heartwarming to be reassured that people (and not hoary elders who look like they could kick the bucket at any moment!) are still making that kind of music in this day and age - and in this case, with clever lyrics that really bring the genre into the present-day without feeling like it's trying too hard to do so.

He even spoofs the horrible, much-derided cliches of "pop-country" in part of this song. :))

Amazingly enough, after I'd watched a couple of his videos I found another comment that led me to still more modern-day, old-school country singers.
Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey and Jamey Johnson - Playing the Part. Some (well, just one) of the latter's songs are a bit too heavy on the Jesus for my taste, but I'll have to listen to some more of both of 'em for sure.
Oh, and Youtube continued its winning streak, with its recommendations leading me to this gem of Southern rock at some point. And a bunch of other good songs, but I'm sticking to recent/current-day artists.
Reminded me a great deal of The Black Crowes - Oh Josephine, actually... although I imagine anyone with the faintest interest in Southern rock knows them already. :P

...But anyway, previously these guys were the only band I knew playing old-timey country, and they're just a side-project of one of my favourite bands. Nice to know they aren't alone!

Here's the band that sparked this whole binge in the first place:
Gleewood - Whiskey Sue   
Gleewood - Runnin' From the Man

Check them out even if you absolutely loathed all the stuff I posted above, haha. They aren't country.
I'd describe them as bluesy, upbeat Americana-flavoured folk rock with fancy guitar work, impressive and (very) unusual vocal duets and the occasional, tasty lashing of psychedelic rock. Good stuff!   

Anyway, this post took some writing. I'm gonna go relax and listen to more music now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4578 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:08 am »

One day I had Spoopy Skeletons stuck in my head, idky.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:19 am »

One day I had Spoopy Skeletons stuck in my head, idky.

Spooky, scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:44 pm »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: September 13, 2017, 11:15:59 am »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:56 pm »

I still love how eclectic my dad's music taste was and is.  Everything but teen/pop/rap (lots of rhythm/blues/soul though), and my brother handily handles those.

Anyway, it was nice coming across 1:20 in https://youtu.be/24r3LNXWi6o in some Netflix original, and immediately recognizing it after so many years.  I'm probably remembering the 1994 remix, but I never knew what it was, yet it would pop up in my head occasionally as one of those half-remembered inklings.  The kind where you wonder if you just made them up, over the years.

It's nice to remember music huh?  Yeah!
Edit:  I just realized it recommended Nena's 99 Luftabaloons next.  Which is right on for the era, of course, but also we really liked that song at the time.  Impressive.  (And I think it sounds a lot better in German.  As dad, who knows German, told me...  This song shows how German can be a beautiful, sensitive language.  It's not all 3rd reich shit.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:28:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: September 15, 2017, 04:41:20 am »

The Sword - Warp Riders

Awhh yiss.

Huh. Somebody on reddit just recommended me that. I've been listening to it all evening yesterday.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:09 am »

The Sword - Warp Riders

Awhh yiss.

Huh. Somebody on reddit just recommended me that. I've been listening to it all evening yesterday.

I listened to the rest of their stuff...and for some strange reason i couldn't find anything similiar to Warp Riders...or which was as good, which is sad :I

Edit:  I just realized it recommended Nena's 99 Luftabaloons next.  Which is right on for the era, of course, but also we really liked that song at the time.  Impressive.  (And I think it sounds a lot better in German.  As dad, who knows German, told me...  This song shows how German can be a beautiful, sensitive language.  It's not all 3rd reich shit.)

hmm maybe i have some things for you...if you want something less, gung ho and more introspective/romantic/melancholic, and which doesn't have that Rammstein vibe to it:

Tim Bendzko was quite popular for a relatively long time, plus the text is amusing. About a woman who calls her lover but the guy doesnt have time because he has to save the world, check his mails and so forth.

But since we are already going back to Nena, you can't forget Die Prinzen

Same Time period but more of a Comedic Party Song, Its from otto Waalkes who if i had to comapre him to an anglophone artist would be closest to weird al yankovic (i suspect?)

Of course if we go from that time, have some punck-rock (careful this is NSFW(contains gore))<- Die Ärzte, Junge. Those guys have been around since about 30+ years by now. And have vastly differed between genres and tune and theme.
Die Ärzte Lasse Reden ah much more poppy(is that a word?) song.
Die Ärzte das Lied vom Scheitern (my personal favorite from them)

and because it was in the suggestions when i searched for these and its basically a national treasure:
Soundtrack to a series of German Comedy Cartoons from the 1980/90s espousing the culture and cliches of the german construction worker and bikers.

but just for a change of genre: Have some German Rap (which doesn't veer into gangster rap)
Peter Fox Alles Neu

and some German Raggae/Rap (i suppose?))

Seeed Dancehall Caballeros

and to go back to Nena times again:

Die Fantastischen Vier - Die da!

and because i'm going down a rabbit hole of songs which i haven't heard for years:

Deichkind bück dich hoch- hip-hop/electro song espousing the glory of brownnosing and death by overworking

and to return to something more sensitive/introspective:
Unheilig - Geboren um zu Leben some commerzialized Goth-Band that is if i recall correctly.

and something quite out there, for someone who doesn't speak german it might sound rather sensitive, the lyrics however are extreme dark caustic satire of basically everything:

Alligatoah Musik ist keine Lösung suppose its rap or hiphop im not firm on the exact genre classifications in that genre.

Okay i think i stop here...got a bit too enthusiastic ^^
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:59:54 am by Ghazkull »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:01 am »

No don't stop lest this magic fall from the front page.

Looks like I need to fix that every other day it seems.

Start with some Lorn - Weigh me down
××××××××××××××××××

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: September 19, 2017, 05:56:35 am »

Probably already in here but a repost is good.
Tool - wings for marie 2
××××××××××××××××××

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: September 19, 2017, 08:17:25 am »

××××××××××××××××××

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××