Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 386

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 530731 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #4170 on: August 14, 2016, 08:12:44 pm »

Sabaton songs have the problem that they have pretty cool parts but then Brodén opens his mouth and it's all horrible. The Lost Battalion had nice chorus but it's still mostly his voice which I think I hate now. He's okay sometimes, but the song in question must be a bit unorthodox, because nowadays Sabaton seems to be just churning out songs that sound LITERALLY the same. Sadly, there are very few songs of theirs that I actually enjoy, it's mostly just smaller parts of them, usually the begginings (THROUGH THE GATES OF HELL, AS WE MAKE OUR WAY TO HEEEAAAVEEEEEEN! still plays in my head from time to time).
Also, that is Men Of War in the background. Until 1:25 I was wondering why the background seems so oddly similar to me and then I glanced at the machinegunner running away and it hit me.
Fucking Men Of War in official Sabaton video, woah.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:16:05 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 14, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »

Yeah, the comments are full of people talking about that instead of the song.  :P

I totally get where you're coming from with the sameness of a lot of their stuff. I only bother to keep maybe 30-40% of their songs because the rest all sound alike or are otherwise dull/distasteful. Out of curiosity, what do you think of Wolfpack?

--

Unrelated: Speaking of new albums...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4172 on: August 14, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Wolfpack?
It's often mentioned as great and unique Sabaton song, but eh, while I usually like slow buildups I think that one is not really fitting for a song about U-Boats and in general doesn't sound right. Then you have about three minutes of regular Sabaton and about 4:15 is the part I really like, the initial sentence of that part sounds fucking great (I can't say if it's just his accent being more pronounced or he was simply losing his breath but the result is the best part of the song) even if it's still Brodén leading, which means that he, in fact, can do shit right. The song actually continues to be stay pretty cool after that.

EDIT:
To strike a completly different note - this is little something I am listening to while drawing some glorious Gothic Cathedral Battleships in Space.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:20:17 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 14, 2016, 10:04:17 pm »

See, it's always bugged me for similar reasons. The vocals and instrumental work are bland and out of place, except for the very opening and the last minute-thirty-ish. And that's all their songs in a nutshell: a little bit of unique song, a little bit of generic Sabaton sound. The good ones have a larger proportion of the former. But that's okay, because I listen to them for the history geek in me as much as for the music; I tend more towards cheesy power metal as far as this family of music goes.

3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4174 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:52 am »

Have my 330 song playlist on YouTube.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: August 15, 2016, 05:38:49 pm »

Following defeat at the Siege of Kumamoto Castle and in other battles in central Kyūshū, the surviving remnants of the samurai forces loyal to Saigō Takamori fled back to Satsuma, seizing the hill of Shiroyama overlooking Kagoshima on 1 September 1877.

Imperial army troops under the command of General Yamagata Aritomo and marines under the command of Admiral Kawamura Sumiyoshi began arriving soon after, and the rebels were surrounded. After combat losses and defections, Saigō had only about 500 samurai remaining of a force of over 20,000 which had besieged the government garrison in the city of Kumamoto only six weeks earlier.

With 30,000 troops,[2] Yamagata, although greatly outnumbering Saigō, bided his time constructing a series of fortifications to encircle Saigō and preempt any chance of a breakout, additionally requisitioning five warships to bombard the rebels and reduce their defenses. He was planning an attack from all sides, and in an effort to prevent another escape, ordered that any position engaged by the enemy was to be fired upon, regardless of friendly casualties.[1] Saigō defended his position with limited musket support and a few pieces of artillery, melting down metal statues to produce bullets and tending to injuries with a carpenter's saw.[1]

Imperial Japanese Army fortifications encircling Shiroyama. 1877 photograph.
After firing a final barrage of artillery lasting the night, Yamagata's men attacked Saigō's position. The samurai, under heavy fire, charged the lines of the imperial army, which had not been trained for close-quarter sword fighting. In just a few minutes, the once organized line turned into disarray. Highly skilled samurai swordsmanship prevailed against an army with very little traditional training. For a short time, Saigō's lines held, but was forced back due to weight of numbers.[citation needed]

Saigō was mortally wounded in the femoral artery and stomach, and was carried by Beppu Shinsuke downhill to find a place to end his life. Serving as kaishakunin, Beppu cut off Saigō's head and hid it to prevent it from being found by the enemy. [1] After Saigō's death, Beppu and the last of the "ex-samurai" drew their swords and plunged downhill toward the Imperial positions and to their deaths. With these deaths, the Satsuma rebellion came to an end.

I've played RTD's so long that the first thing I thought was "those are some low rolls."
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: August 15, 2016, 08:43:43 pm »

Or sloppy, poorly-defined mass-combat rules full of loopholes and exploits.

3. Run Resize Enable

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:53 am »

*Yoink*

I quite like a lot of these, though not so much the odd soundtrack. Never liked soundtracks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4178 on: August 16, 2016, 10:31:24 am »

*Yoink*

I quite like a lot of these, though not so much the odd soundtrack. Never liked soundtracks.
Your FACE is a soundtrack!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:22 am »

Aaaah, the ultimate burn :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 16, 2016, 06:55:05 pm »

Following defeat at the Siege of Kumamoto Castle and in other battles in central Kyūshū, the surviving remnants of the samurai forces loyal to Saigō Takamori fled back to Satsuma, seizing the hill of Shiroyama overlooking Kagoshima on 1 September 1877.

Imperial army troops under the command of General Yamagata Aritomo and marines under the command of Admiral Kawamura Sumiyoshi began arriving soon after, and the rebels were surrounded. After combat losses and defections, Saigō had only about 500 samurai remaining of a force of over 20,000 which had besieged the government garrison in the city of Kumamoto only six weeks earlier.

With 30,000 troops,[2] Yamagata, although greatly outnumbering Saigō, bided his time constructing a series of fortifications to encircle Saigō and preempt any chance of a breakout, additionally requisitioning five warships to bombard the rebels and reduce their defenses. He was planning an attack from all sides, and in an effort to prevent another escape, ordered that any position engaged by the enemy was to be fired upon, regardless of friendly casualties.[1] Saigō defended his position with limited musket support and a few pieces of artillery, melting down metal statues to produce bullets and tending to injuries with a carpenter's saw.[1]

Imperial Japanese Army fortifications encircling Shiroyama. 1877 photograph.
After firing a final barrage of artillery lasting the night, Yamagata's men attacked Saigō's position. The samurai, under heavy fire, charged the lines of the imperial army, which had not been trained for close-quarter sword fighting. In just a few minutes, the once organized line turned into disarray. Highly skilled samurai swordsmanship prevailed against an army with very little traditional training. For a short time, Saigō's lines held, but was forced back due to weight of numbers.[citation needed]

Saigō was mortally wounded in the femoral artery and stomach, and was carried by Beppu Shinsuke downhill to find a place to end his life. Serving as kaishakunin, Beppu cut off Saigō's head and hid it to prevent it from being found by the enemy. [1] After Saigō's death, Beppu and the last of the "ex-samurai" drew their swords and plunged downhill toward the Imperial positions and to their deaths. With these deaths, the Satsuma rebellion came to an end.

I've played RTD's so long that the first thing I thought was "those are some low rolls."

What are those supposed to represent, anyway?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4181 on: August 17, 2016, 12:41:32 am »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4182 on: August 17, 2016, 04:16:23 pm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:33 pm »

3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 18, 2016, 04:27:45 am »

*Yoink*
What???

Oh right, music thread. Here, get some jazz into ya.
If anyone can listen to this without feeling happy, well... you'd best consult a psychiatrist. :P
I think I need to send away for a CD copy of this, so I can play it at work. The current couple of (decent) CDs on rotation are starting to drive me mad... I used to like the Ink Spots! D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 386